IT Security Manager Opportunity - Phoenix, AZ

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by oharam@azdhs.gov, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. Guest

    We have an outstanding opportunity here in Phoenix, AZ for an IT
    Security Manager. If you know of anyone qualified for this position,
    please refer them to our web site (see below). Thanks!

    POSITION DESCRIPTION: Develops and maintains the statutorily mandated
    short and long range IT planning function and reports. Coordinates the
    Agency IT plans with the State's plans. Participate in meetings related
    to IT needs and planning; assists Information Technology staff in
    planning activities; provides verbal and written reports to management.
    Serves on various state-level IT committees. Performs Project Manger
    duties as required. Responsible for the management of the Department's
    Information Security Services program.

    Plans, directs, and evaluates the work of four to five subordinate
    Security Office personnel; serves as the supported agency Information
    Security Consultant, providing general and technical guidance on
    matters in the protection of information systems. Establishes the
    direction of security and implementation of new and/or enhanced
    security systems. Interacts with vendors, consultants, users, executive
    agency management, and other data processing and security professionals
    to ensure the Departments security requirements are met. Serves as a
    reviewer on all information sharing agreements.

    Has authority of hiring and termination of personnel, utilization of
    subordinate's time. Determination of security solutions for the Agency.
    Controls and approves content of the Three Year Plan. Authorized to
    develop, implement and monitor the policies and procedures pertaining
    to areas for which there is responsibility; personnel assignments,
    education, vacation, overtime, performance evaluation and
    recommendations; inter-departmental coordination, planning and problem
    resolutions. Establishes, updates, and implements security policies,
    procedures, and standards. Identifies, develops and implements agency
    information security awareness program. Determine the changing needs of
    the agency relative to information security. Performs vulnerability and
    penetration testing of agency assets. Determine information system risk
    to the agency.

    DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Skills in interpersonal relations; work
    management, planning and program development; supervising the work of
    professionals; gathering, organizing and analyzing facts and making
    logical interpretations; developing plans and project IT needs and
    resources; maintaining odd working relationships; and good oral and
    written communications skills.

    REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Requires at least three years
    experience performing the functions of an Information Services security
    manager, Bachelor of Science in computer Science or equivalent,
    Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) certification, or
    Certified Information systems Security Professional (CISSP)
    certifications.

    BENEFITS: Arizona Department of Health Services offers an excellent
    benefit package which includes paid holidays, low cost health, life and
    dental insurance, and great vacation/sick leave. We also offer an
    outstanding defined benefit state retirement program,the Arizona State
    Retirement System (ASRS).

    SALARY HIRING RANGE: $70,000 - $75,000

    *NOTE: Position is not covered under the Personnel Rules of the Arizona
    State Services.

    TO APPLY: You must complete the online application at:
    www.azstatejobs.gov - click on "Search for Jobs, type "DHS" in the
    search field and select the ITS Security Manager position. HUMAN
    RESOURCES WILL ONLY ACCEPT RESUMES THAT HAVE BEEN ENTERED INTO THIS WEB
    SITE AND HAVE A COMPLETED QUALIFICATIONS QUESTIONNAIRE. If you have
    any questions regarding the application process please call the Human
    Resources Office at 602-542-1085. For additional information about the
    position and qualification requirements, please contact Michael O'Hara,
    CIO at 602-542-1073.

    , Feb 4, 2006

  2. optikl Guest

    wrote:
    > We have an outstanding opportunity here in Phoenix, AZ for an IT
    > Security Manager. If you know of anyone qualified for this position,
    > please refer them to our web site (see below). Thanks!
    >

    > SALARY HIRING RANGE: $70,000 - $75,000

    Not a very attractive inducement.

    optikl, Feb 4, 2006

  3. From: "optikl" <>

    | wrote:
    >> We have an outstanding opportunity here in Phoenix, AZ for an IT
    >> Security Manager. If you know of anyone qualified for this position,
    >> please refer them to our web site (see below). Thanks!
    >>
    >> SALARY HIRING RANGE: $70,000 - $75,000
    >>

    | Not a very attractive inducement.

    Neither is working for Arizona ! :)

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Feb 4, 2006
  4. Moe Trin Guest

    On Sat, 04 Feb 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    <WHVEf.2243$In4.2043@trnddc06>, David H. Lipman wrote:

    >From: "optikl" <>
    >
    >| wrote:
    >>> We have an outstanding opportunity here in Phoenix, AZ for an IT
    >>> Security Manager. If you know of anyone qualified for this position,
    >>> please refer them to our web site (see below). Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> SALARY HIRING RANGE: $70,000 - $75,000
    >>>

    >| Not a very attractive inducement.
    >
    >Neither is working for Arizona ! :)

    Hey, the governor just signed a pay raise bill for all state employees.

    While the housing prices in the Phoenix metro area are lower, that salary
    range isn't going to get you a place in the most attractive parts of town,
    and the electric bill for running 7 Tons of central air conditioning is at
    least not much beyond what my sister is paying to heat her home in New York.
    Still, as a state employee, you would get a monthly bus pass, and most of
    the "Park N Ride" transfer points offer covered parking (don't knock that
    if you haven't been in the "Valley of the Sun" in summer).

    I'm not sure if this is a spoof or not. The posting address is from
    azdhs.gov, and the phone numbers do match with Department of Health Services.
    Still, it was spewed from google.groups to (at least) alt.computer.security,
    comp.security.misc, comp.security.unix, and twice to alt.security (one assumes
    a lack of skills with a computer), but NOT to any of the applicable .jobs
    newsgroups such as 'az.jobs'. This shows a considerable lack of clue, and
    would indicate a highly undesirable work atmosphere.

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Feb 5, 2006
  5. From: "Moe Trin" <>

    | Hey, the governor just signed a pay raise bill for all state employees.
    |
    | While the housing prices in the Phoenix metro area are lower, that salary
    | range isn't going to get you a place in the most attractive parts of town,
    | and the electric bill for running 7 Tons of central air conditioning is at
    | least not much beyond what my sister is paying to heat her home in New York.
    | Still, as a state employee, you would get a monthly bus pass, and most of
    | the "Park N Ride" transfer points offer covered parking (don't knock that
    | if you haven't been in the "Valley of the Sun" in summer).
    |
    | I'm not sure if this is a spoof or not. The posting address is from
    | azdhs.gov, and the phone numbers do match with Department of Health Services.
    | Still, it was spewed from google.groups to (at least) alt.computer.security,
    | comp.security.misc, comp.security.unix, and twice to alt.security (one assumes
    | a lack of skills with a computer), but NOT to any of the applicable .jobs
    | newsgroups such as 'az.jobs'. This shows a considerable lack of clue, and
    | would indicate a highly undesirable work atmosphere.
    |
    | Old guy

    I like the way you summed that up ! :)

    David H. Lipman, Feb 5, 2006
  6. Guest

    I actually have very good computer skills - 35 years in IT and earned
    CISSP in 2003 (tho let it lapse this year because unable to keep up
    with continuing ed requirements with my other responsibilities).

    What I lack is familiarity with newsgroups ... and for that I
    apologize, since I have evidently violated some taboo on posting job
    opportunitities in these three groups. (No, I didn't "spew" it out
    everywhere, and didn't know about the alt.jobs one.)

    My intent with these 3 groups was to try and target this to security
    professionals through a variety of venues, since all we have done in
    the past is post on our own stat web site and, occasionally, on
    Monster. Was trying to be a little creative about it, including the
    ISC2 site, CISM, and a variety of others.

    Having said that, I remain interested in seeking out a qualified person
    who, like the rest of our IT team here, would like to work in the
    public sector with the opportunity to do something that can make a
    difference. At AZ DHS we have ongoing or planned projects addressing
    flu pandemic, Women Infants & Childrens Nutrition assistance,
    bio-terrorism, and more ... employing .Net, UNIX, Citrix, C# etc. This
    is a great place to work with decent (admittedly not stellar)
    compensation but excellent benefits. And, yes, the Governor's 6% pay
    raise would be on top of the starting salary (assuming you come on
    board in time).

    Given the replies received, however, I will look to see if I can remove
    the thread - since I've haven't used groups before, I don't have
    a"clue" how to do this, but will find out. <grin>

    , Feb 5, 2006
  7. optikl Guest

    wrote:

    > Having said that, I remain interested in seeking out a qualified person
    > who, like the rest of our IT team here, would like to work in the
    > public sector with the opportunity to do something that can make a
    > difference. At AZ DHS we have ongoing or planned projects addressing
    > flu pandemic, Women Infants & Childrens Nutrition assistance,
    > bio-terrorism, and more ... employing .Net, UNIX, Citrix, C# etc. This
    > is a great place to work with decent (admittedly not stellar)
    > compensation but excellent benefits. And, yes, the Governor's 6% pay
    > raise would be on top of the starting salary (assuming you come on
    > board in time).

    Still, $ 70K for an IT Manager in Phoenix (where the housing bubble is
    alive and well) is pretty pathetic.

    optikl, Feb 6, 2006
  8. Guest

    Just to be clear - the hiring range is $70-$75, plus the Governor's
    across-the-board increas of 6.5%.

    Also, the position is for a Security Manager, reporting to the CIO (not
    IT Manager).

    Yes, there's a housing boom, however it's still more affordable than
    many, many U.S. urban areas. I just got off the phone this weekend
    with my son in Philadelphia suburbs, where one side of a 3 BR duplex is
    well over $300K. That would buy a very nice indeed single detached
    house here.

    , Feb 6, 2006
  9. Moe Trin Guest

    On 5 Feb 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    <>, wrote:

    >I actually have very good computer skills - 35 years in IT and earned
    >CISSP in 2003 (tho let it lapse this year because unable to keep up
    >with continuing ed requirements with my other responsibilities).

    Thank you for at least responding. I'm sorry, but the postings definitely
    did not come across that way, and that is an important part.

    >What I lack is familiarity with newsgroups ... and for that I
    >apologize, since I have evidently violated some taboo on posting job
    >opportunitities in these three groups.

    See the response from jpd in comp.security.unix. No need for me to repeat.

    By the way, the news groups that might be more appropriate are 'az.jobs'
    and 'alt.bestjobsusa.phoenix.jobs' (the later really isn't that great).
    Many of the Usenet 'jobs' groups are dominated by resume collecting head
    hunters who are fairly useless. You're posting from a QWest address, and
    they do have good access to quite a number of newsgroups - trust me on that.

    [compton ~]$ grep -c jobs .newsrc
    1157
    [compton ~]$

    >My intent with these 3 groups was to try and target this to security
    >professionals through a variety of venues, since all we have done in
    >the past is post on our own stat web site and, occasionally, on
    >Monster. Was trying to be a little creative about it, including the
    >ISC2 site, CISM, and a variety of others.

    Understood, but these groups are for technical discussion, not job searches.
    We have enough problems with clueless head hunters who think it's a great
    place to find candidates - hence the reaction you got. Using google groups
    to post did not help. There are other bulletin board sites that are more
    appropriate. A google search would turn up many at professional societies
    and accreditation services/organizations.

    >Given the replies received, however, I will look to see if I can remove
    >the thread - since I've haven't used groups before, I don't have
    >a"clue" how to do this, but will find out. <grin>

    Unfortunately, it's something that can't be done. Once you post, the
    articles are going to be on news servers around the world for months
    until they eventually expire off. Giganews (the news server that QWest
    uses) has 27800 in this group (about 14 months) available. Supernews
    (another major news service provider) is similar. I think the state uses
    the server at ASU, and I don't know what their retentivity is. Google
    itself archives the newsgroups, and goes back into the early 1990s.

    Cancellations are generally a problem. The 'Cancel Messages: Frequently
    Asked Questions' FAQ (http://www.killfile.org/faqs/cancel.html) describes
    the procedure. As you are posting from groups.google.com, I rather doubt
    a cancellation would work.

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Feb 6, 2006
  10. Moe Trin Guest

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    <>, optikl wrote:

    >Still, $ 70K for an IT Manager in Phoenix (where the housing bubble is
    >alive and well) is pretty pathetic.

    Assuming ten percent down, that qualifies you for about $250K - which is
    somewhere around the median price. My real estate agent neighbor tells me
    that the market is cooling at the moment, and there are 110 properties
    listed in the 3000 belonging in our home owner's association, compared to
    about 15 in January 2005. We're in a higher price neighborhood, but it's
    a similar situation valley-wide. Still, houses are selling close to
    offered price after about a month on the market.

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Feb 6, 2006