    Y/N. Man I thought that if you formated then fixed the bootsector that
    is it, Where did it come from? I'm thinking that it permanently
    wrecked my computer, am I wrong?
    lost cause, Oct 3, 2004

  2. lost cause

    colin Guest

    lost cause <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I formated from a win98 bootdisk, then went to fdisk and as soon as
    > its done fixing this flashes up Boot Sector Write!! Virus: continue
    > Y/N. Man I thought that if you formated then fixed the bootsector that
    > is it, Where did it come from? I'm thinking that it permanently
    > wrecked my computer, am I wrong?

    Most likely it`s caused by the following setting in your BIOS:

    BIOS FEATURES SETUP (or similar)>Anti-Virus-Protection>Enabled.....set to
    Disable
    colin, Oct 3, 2004

  3. lost cause

    Plato Guest

    lost cause wrote:

    > I formated from a win98 bootdisk, then went to fdisk and as soon as
    > its done fixing this flashes up Boot Sector Write!! Virus: continue
    > Y/N. Man I thought that if you formated then fixed the bootsector that
    > is it, Where did it come from? I'm thinking that it permanently
    > wrecked my computer, am I wrong?

    Disable "anti-virus" in the bios or just say yes, let it write.
    Plato, Oct 3, 2004
  4. lost cause

    lost cause Guest

    Alright first I don't have an Anti-virus option on my bios and let me
    try to lay it out better. I will clear the primary partition after I
    formated my only drive with a win98 bootdisk. After that I will then
    recreate the primary Dos partiton, as soon as the percent of
    completion reaches 100% the goddamn plinking Boot Sector Write!!
    virus: thing pops up. I am completely lost on what to do, if it is
    salvageable any info on it would be appreciated, if its dust please
    let me know thanks.
    lost cause, Oct 4, 2004
  5. lost cause

    Thor Guest

    "lost cause" <> wrote in message
    > Alright first I don't have an Anti-virus option on my bios and let me
    > try to lay it out better. I will clear the primary partition after I
    > formated my only drive with a win98 bootdisk. After that I will then
    > recreate the primary Dos partiton, as soon as the percent of
    > completion reaches 100% the goddamn plinking Boot Sector Write!!
    > virus: thing pops up. I am completely lost on what to do, if it is
    > salvageable any info on it would be appreciated, if its dust please
    > let me know thanks.

    it IS in your BIOS settings. Check again. Very carefully. If not, then you
    need to contact the manufacturer of the board or system to ascertain why
    they would leave the option out. But this is obviously what is causing the
    problem.
    Thor, Oct 4, 2004
  6. lost cause

    lost cause Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > it IS in your BIOS settings. Check again. Very carefully. If not, then you
    > need to contact the manufacturer of the board or system to ascertain why
    > they would leave the option out. But this is obviously what is causing the
    > problem.

    Alright let me try again I DON'T HAVE THAT SETTING IN MY BOIS, mybe
    cause its alittle older computer. I know I have a virus on my
    computer, so your basicaly telling me that its not possible to fix in
    anyway?
    lost cause, Oct 5, 2004
  7. lost cause

    Thor Guest

    "lost cause" <> wrote in message
    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    >> it IS in your BIOS settings. Check again. Very carefully. If not, then
    >> you
    >> need to contact the manufacturer of the board or system to ascertain why
    >> they would leave the option out. But this is obviously what is causing
    >> the
    >> problem.

    > Alright let me try again I DON'T HAVE THAT SETTING IN MY BOIS, mybe
    > cause its alittle older computer. I know I have a virus on my
    > computer, so your basicaly telling me that its not possible to fix in
    > anyway?

    Look, you don't very likely have a virus. For one thing you have no
    antivirus software installed at this point to even give you a real virus
    warning. The warning you are seeing comes from bootsector overwrite
    protection built into the BIOS. They often call it bootsector "virus"
    protection, but there is no actual virus detection built in. It merely
    sounds off a warning whenever something, ANYTHING attempts to write to the
    bootsector, including windows and disk setup tools. Unfortunately this
    system is "dumb" and doesn't distinguish between a *legitemate* write to the
    bootsector, and a bootsector virus seeking to modify it. You are seeing this
    warning because your disk preparation tools are trying to write to the
    boosector, which is entirely normal. Please post your make and model of
    motherboard, and we will get to the bottom of this mystery. It would seem
    incredible to me that the manufacturer has this enabled by default with no
    way to disable it, especially if it is preventing you from completing your
    setup. Any technician who has been around a few years and set up lots of
    computers has run across this issue, and I'm no exception. I've seen it lots
    of times. Most motherboard makers disable this feature by default these days
    because it is more trouble than it's worth. But occasionally, you see one
    with it enabled. Undoubtedly yours is.
    Thor, Oct 5, 2004
  8. lost cause

    lost cause Guest

    "> Look, you don't very likely have a virus. For one thing you have no
    > antivirus software installed at this point to even give you a real virus
    > warning. The warning you are seeing comes from bootsector overwrite
    > protection built into the BIOS. They often call it bootsector "virus"
    > protection, but there is no actual virus detection built in. It merely
    > sounds off a warning whenever something, ANYTHING attempts to write to the
    > bootsector, including windows and disk setup tools. Unfortunately this
    > system is "dumb" and doesn't distinguish between a *legitemate* write to the
    > bootsector, and a bootsector virus seeking to modify it. You are seeing this
    > warning because your disk preparation tools are trying to write to the
    > boosector, which is entirely normal. Please post your make and model of
    > motherboard, and we will get to the bottom of this mystery. It would seem
    > incredible to me that the manufacturer has this enabled by default with no
    > way to disable it, especially if it is preventing you from completing your
    > setup. Any technician who has been around a few years and set up lots of
    > computers has run across this issue, and I'm no exception. I've seen it lots
    > of times. Most motherboard makers disable this feature by default these days
    > because it is more trouble than it's worth. But occasionally, you see one
    > with it enabled. Undoubtedly yours is.

    First I would like to say thanks for your effort and info so far, but
    I have still not come any closer to getting this problem resolved. I
    have looked probably 30 times in my bois and it is not there(the
    anti-virus setting) no such setting in mine. I don't know if the fact
    that it is an older computer or that its an emachine(I hear there not
    good)has something to do with the mystery. Realy its not there, mybe
    if I give you some info you could come across a way of checking just
    to make sure. Alright this is all I could come across hope this is
    enough to mybe gain some ground, its an etower 466i and the
    motherboard info is FLORIDA-TG 19990603 Mat No.109554. The wierd thing
    is that the info I came across online says that its an 533 not 466
    doesn't make sense, but mybe its to old to be listed online, I don't
    know the whole things retarted. Hope this in some way will help,
    thanks.
    lost cause, Oct 6, 2004
  9. lost cause

    Thor Guest

    > First I would like to say thanks for your effort and info so far, but
    > I have still not come any closer to getting this problem resolved. I
    > have looked probably 30 times in my bois and it is not there(the
    > anti-virus setting) no such setting in mine. I don't know if the fact
    > that it is an older computer or that its an emachine(I hear there not
    > good)has something to do with the mystery. Realy its not there, mybe
    > if I give you some info you could come across a way of checking just
    > to make sure. Alright this is all I could come across hope this is
    > enough to mybe gain some ground, its an etower 466i and the
    > motherboard info is FLORIDA-TG 19990603 Mat No.109554. The wierd thing
    > is that the info I came across online says that its an 533 not 466
    > doesn't make sense, but mybe its to old to be listed online, I don't
    > know the whole things retarted. Hope this in some way will help,
    > thanks.

    The board can handle up to a 533Mhz CPU. Emachines used that board in a
    variety of configurations/speeds.

    According to what I've found on the Florida-TG motherboard (Trigem), the
    setting you are looking for *should* be under the "security" menu in the
    BIOS setup, the feature is labeled "antivirus". Here is a rundown of the
    BIOS settings. Warning some of the text is in Korean or Chinese. I can't
    tell which. But much is in English.

    http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/TriGem/profile/FLORIDA-C/FLOC_cmos.htm

    here is another link to specs for that board, including a link to a
    downloadable manual, drivers, and BIOS upgrade files.

    http://www.e4allinc.info/dir1/motherboards/socket370/floridatg_downloads.htm

    Now before you get angry and tell me that the settings is not there *again*,
    I'm not saying you are wrong, because it is possible that Emachines in their
    infinite stupidity could have hidden the option from user settings. In that
    case, perhaps clearing the CMOS via the J5 dip switch setting on the
    motherboard may help by reverting the settings back to default, perhaps
    toggling that feature off by some chance. Also removing the battery for
    several minutes should be enough to cause the CMOS to revert to default
    settings, which may help. As a last resort, you could try downloading the
    BIOS update from the above link, and flash the BIOS. Hopefully that will
    reveal the option in the BIOS to disable the bootsector write protection.
    Good Luck.
    Thor, Oct 6, 2004
  10. If all else fails, try this: Take out the hard drive and install it
    in another computer. Format the drive and reload your Windows 98.
    Move it back into your eMachine and see it it boots up. You may need
    to run the 'find new hardware wizard' a couple of times, to pick up
    your hardware. If you have driver disks for odd-ball plug-in cards,
    it would help greatly. KK
    keith kichefski, Oct 6, 2004
  11. lost cause

    lost cause Guest

    Hey I just wanted to say finaly I got it fixed. You were right when
    you said that the option was their, but I found where I think the
    confusion was. There was a virus that must have put a password on the
    bios, because it would ask for a password and I don't remember putting
    one on. So it would ask for the password and I would put in what I
    thought I might have put in, and it would take me to the bios,but
    later find out that the part I was sent to was not realy the whole
    thing. My lack of tech knowledge or not paying attention was to blame,
    so I eat my words. Thanks again for helping me get this worked out.
    lost cause, Oct 8, 2004
  12. lost cause

    Thor Guest

    "lost cause" <> wrote in message
    > Hey I just wanted to say finaly I got it fixed. You were right when
    > you said that the option was their, but I found where I think the
    > confusion was. There was a virus that must have put a password on the
    > bios, because it would ask for a password and I don't remember putting
    > one on. So it would ask for the password and I would put in what I
    > thought I might have put in, and it would take me to the bios,but
    > later find out that the part I was sent to was not realy the whole
    > thing. My lack of tech knowledge or not paying attention was to blame,
    > so I eat my words. Thanks again for helping me get this worked out.

    No problem. However, I've never heard of any virus that puts a password in
    the BIOS. What are the chances someone else could have been messing around
    with your computer, or the password was there from the beginning and you
    just never came across it???
    Thor, Oct 8, 2004