IT recruitment agencies

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by joe_90, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. joe_90

    joe_90 Guest

    I have developed a very poor opinion of IT recruitment agencies over the
    years. My experiences have taught me that these so called 'professional
    consultants' can be quite economical with the truth and employ some
    pretty dubious tactics. There has always been the suspicion that some
    advertise non-existent positions in order to built their candidate
    databases, but it is never possible to prove anything.

    I saw a position advertised by a Wellington agency on jobstuff yesterday
    (not there today), and it was pretty easy to deduce who the client was
    from the job description. It struck me as odd that this company would
    employ the services of an agency, so I approached the company direct to
    find out the story. It turned out the position was advertised in a
    couple of newspapers last month and had already passed its closing date.
    Apparently the agency had advertised the position speculatively on six
    different web sites but had not been contracted by the employer.

    Now, even without the overwhelming response this company received from
    its newspaper advertising, there is no way they would have dealt with an
    agency - the cost would have been prohibitive. Consequently, no agency
    submitted candidate would have been considered for the position.

    This raises two questions for me -

    1. Is this acceptable/ethical behaviour? (are agencies bound by any
    industry code of practice?)

    2. What would the agency tell a candidate that went to the trouble of
    applying for this position?

    Even though the downturn in the IT industry has decimated these agencies
    in the last few years, it would seem that there are still a few bad eggs
    in the basket.

    joe_90, Sep 11, 2003

  2. joe_90

    Jay Guest

    joe_90 wrote:

    > I have developed a very poor opinion of IT recruitment agencies over the
    > years. My experiences have taught me that these so called 'professional
    > consultants' can be quite economical with the truth and employ some
    > pretty dubious tactics. There has always been the suspicion that some
    > advertise non-existent positions in order to built their candidate
    > databases, but it is never possible to prove anything.

    A very common practice for a number of reasons.
    An employment agency's ads are not just about recruitment - they are
    also about advertising the agency's presence. And there would be nothing
    worse for a recruiters image (and business) if they appeared to
    have not many prospects lined up.

    All you have to do is put yourself in their shoes and see what
    you would need to do to survive and even prosper.

    > I saw a position advertised by a Wellington agency on jobstuff yesterday
    > (not there today), and it was pretty easy to deduce who the client was
    > from the job description. It struck me as odd that this company would
    > employ the services of an agency, so I approached the company direct to
    > find out the story. It turned out the position was advertised in a
    > couple of newspapers last month and had already passed its closing date.
    > Apparently the agency had advertised the position speculatively on six
    > different web sites but had not been contracted by the employer.
    >
    > Now, even without the overwhelming response this company received from
    > its newspaper advertising, there is no way they would have dealt with an
    > agency - the cost would have been prohibitive. Consequently, no agency
    > submitted candidate would have been considered for the position.
    >
    > This raises two questions for me -
    >
    > 1. Is this acceptable/ethical behaviour? (are agencies bound by any
    > industry code of practice?)

    It is not ethical.

    > 2. What would the agency tell a candidate that went to the trouble of
    > applying for this position?

    Sorry, but the job is taken. But we have another possibility that
    we can put you forward for. Which means they send your CV in numerous
    fax spams to likely prospects - whether they have any position or not.

    > Even though the downturn in the IT industry has decimated these agencies
    > in the last few years, it would seem that there are still a few bad eggs
    > in the basket.

    They are not alone.

    Jay, Sep 11, 2003

  3. On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:28:49 +1200, joe_90 wrote:

    > Even though the downturn in the IT industry has decimated these agencies
    > in the last few years

    Wot? 10% of them are dead?

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 11, 2003
  4. joe_90

    Alan Guest

    I agree it's pretty shady. Some of the job sites are/were so backwards they
    don't/didn't even remove jobs where the *advertised* closing date for
    applications had passed. A mate of mine, now working in the UK, was even put
    through the rigours of a telephone interview with the employer organised by
    the consultant . Once he got to the UK it turned out there was no job and
    the consultant had faked the whole thing - traps for young players. These
    recruitment consultancies still need to do some growing up.

    Alan

    Alan, Sep 11, 2003
  5. joe_90

    Bret Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:23:59 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:28:49 +1200, joe_90 wrote:
    >
    >> Even though the downturn in the IT industry has decimated these agencies
    >> in the last few years

    >Wot? 10% of them are dead?

    LOL

    Bret, Sep 11, 2003
  6. joe_90

    Rats Guest

    joe_90 wrote:
    > I have developed a very poor opinion of IT recruitment agencies over
    > the years. My experiences have taught me that these so called
    > 'professional consultants' can be quite economical with the truth and
    > employ some pretty dubious tactics. There has always been the
    > suspicion that some advertise non-existent positions in order to
    > built their candidate databases, but it is never possible to prove
    > anything.
    >
    > I saw a position advertised by a Wellington agency on jobstuff
    > yesterday (not there today), and it was pretty easy to deduce who the
    > client was from the job description. It struck me as odd that this
    > company would employ the services of an agency, so I approached the
    > company direct to find out the story. It turned out the position was
    > advertised in a couple of newspapers last month and had already
    > passed its closing date. Apparently the agency had advertised the
    > position speculatively on six different web sites but had not been
    > contracted by the employer.
    >
    > Now, even without the overwhelming response this company received from
    > its newspaper advertising, there is no way they would have dealt with
    > an agency - the cost would have been prohibitive. Consequently, no
    > agency submitted candidate would have been considered for the
    > position.
    >
    > This raises two questions for me -
    >
    > 1. Is this acceptable/ethical behaviour? (are agencies bound by any
    > industry code of practice?)
    >
    > 2. What would the agency tell a candidate that went to the trouble of
    > applying for this position?
    >
    > Even though the downturn in the IT industry has decimated these
    > agencies in the last few years, it would seem that there are still a
    > few bad eggs in the basket.

    I've dealt with ITEC and de Winter and found them to be very good.

    I've also dealt with Enterprise, Candle (now TMP) and Lacey Lee (sounds like
    a frikkin' massage parlour!) and found them to be quite obnoxious.

    Rats, Sep 12, 2003
  7. joe_90

    John Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:48:08 +1200, "Rats" <>
    wrote:

    >I've also dealt with Enterprise, Candle (now TMP) and Lacey Lee (sounds like
    >a frikkin' massage parlour!) and found them to be quite obnoxious.

    They are there for the employer at the end of the day, they pay for
    it...
    They are nothing more then CV shufflers these days, they wont even see
    you til your CV been slected from the pile, then they are all over you
    to meet and chat...

    example:
    'are opportunity with a elite high-end integration
    consultancy..............'
    Are they full of themselves?

    Laceylee, John Lacey did the right thing selling out at the peak of
    ITrecruting in Welington, how many millions did it sell for?

    John, Sep 12, 2003
  8. joe_90

    Bill Guest Guest

    So-called personnel consultants are in business for themselves. They wish to
    optimise their profits, which means churning as many candidates as possible
    through in as short a time as possible. Just like land agents and car
    salesmen...... but they have a fancier self-selected title.

    Most are barely semi-skilled. They mostly don't give a stuff about you, your
    feelings, or your career, although they won't tell you that openly. They are
    paid for by the employer, not you. They will pander to the employer's
    prejudices to make sure they secure the commission they need to survive.
    They will brazenly use "psychometric" tests (American witch-doctor
    mumbo-jumbo) to justify their recommendations, thus applying a veneer of
    legitimacy over judgements that often enough are blatant breaches of the
    Human Rights Act.

    Ethics? You must be joking! They are plain and simple brokers who parasite a
    living out of the employment process by bringing a selection of job
    applicants to employers who are too lazy to do their own recruiting. But
    that is how the market works......

    Have a nice career!

    > I have developed a very poor opinion of IT recruitment agencies over the
    > years. My experiences have taught me that these so called 'professional
    > consultants' can be quite economical with the truth and employ some
    > pretty dubious tactics. There has always been the suspicion that some
    > advertise non-existent positions in order to built their candidate
    > databases, but it is never possible to prove anything.

    <snipped>

    Bill Guest, Sep 12, 2003