    What would be expected if it was a contract ie 3 or 6 months or more ?
    Which IT recruitment agencies would you recommend ?

    NZed
    paradise, Mar 24, 2006

  2. paradise

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:51:22 +1200, paradise wrote:

    > I am trying to get an idea of whats being paid in the IT industry presently
    > in NZ. As a friend who is originally from the states now living in Australia
    > and is now considering working and living in NZ, preferably Wellington.
    > (this was his first choice before going to Australia)
    >
    > What salary range would someone be in with management, project managment and
    > technical skills with over 20yrs experience in the industry.
    > Do positions normally come with perks...ie car, medical and super ?
    > What would be expected if it was a contract ie 3 or 6 months or more ?
    > Which IT recruitment agencies would you recommend ?
    >
    > NZed

    As a trainee kiwi, ex-brit, all I can say is... come here for the
    lifestyle, not the money. If you get a decent wage, then all well and
    good, but just consider it a bonus!

    Personally, I'm earning less than 10% of my european salary ( with as much
    if not more experience than your friend ), and I wouldn't change it for
    anything!

    Steve
    Steve, Mar 25, 2006

  3. paradise

    jedmeister Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:51:22 +1200, paradise wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to get an idea of whats being paid in the IT industry
    >> presently
    >> in NZ. As a friend who is originally from the states now living in
    >> Australia
    >> and is now considering working and living in NZ, preferably Wellington.
    >> (this was his first choice before going to Australia)
    >>
    >> What salary range would someone be in with management, project managment
    >> and
    >> technical skills with over 20yrs experience in the industry.
    >> Do positions normally come with perks...ie car, medical and super ?
    >> What would be expected if it was a contract ie 3 or 6 months or more ?
    >> Which IT recruitment agencies would you recommend ?
    >>
    >> NZed

    > As a trainee kiwi, ex-brit, all I can say is... come here for the
    > lifestyle, not the money. If you get a decent wage, then all well and
    > good, but just consider it a bonus!
    >
    > Personally, I'm earning less than 10% of my european salary ( with as much
    > if not more experience than your friend ), and I wouldn't change it for
    > anything!
    >
    > Steve

    And, you are missing out on the awesome holidays you can take around europe.

    10%? Really? Why not go over there for 5 years ,then you can retire or just
    do what you want at least.
    jedmeister, Mar 25, 2006
  4. paradise

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <rV0Vf.8427$>, you say...

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:51:22 +1200, paradise wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am trying to get an idea of whats being paid in the IT industry
    > >> presently
    > >> in NZ. As a friend who is originally from the states now living in
    > >> Australia
    > >> and is now considering working and living in NZ, preferably Wellington.
    > >> (this was his first choice before going to Australia)
    > >>
    > >> What salary range would someone be in with management, project managment
    > >> and
    > >> technical skills with over 20yrs experience in the industry.
    > >> Do positions normally come with perks...ie car, medical and super ?
    > >> What would be expected if it was a contract ie 3 or 6 months or more ?
    > >> Which IT recruitment agencies would you recommend ?
    > >>
    > >> NZed

    > > As a trainee kiwi, ex-brit, all I can say is... come here for the
    > > lifestyle, not the money. If you get a decent wage, then all well and
    > > good, but just consider it a bonus!
    > >
    > > Personally, I'm earning less than 10% of my european salary ( with as much
    > > if not more experience than your friend ), and I wouldn't change it for
    > > anything!
    > >
    > > Steve

    > And, you are missing out on the awesome holidays you can take around europe.

    Yeah, but you have to be in dirty ol' *Europe* - NZ may not have the
    history, but it's got a lot to offer, easy to get there, pretty damn
    cheap - and not a lot of people. Hard to beat.

    > 10%? Really? Why not go over there for 5 years ,then you can retire or just
    > do what you want at least.

    Who knows, but I think the man's right - you can earn chitloads over
    there, but yer not gonna have the lifestyle we have here.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 25, 2006
  5. paradise

    Bok Guest

    paradise wrote:
    > I am trying to get an idea of whats being paid in the IT industry presently
    > in NZ. As a friend who is originally from the states now living in Australia
    > and is now considering working and living in NZ, preferably Wellington.
    > (this was his first choice before going to Australia)
    >
    > What salary range would someone be in with management, project managment and
    > technical skills with over 20yrs experience in the industry.

    The Hays Salary survey will give you some idea of the range of salaries:
    http://www.hays-hps.co.nz/salary/pdfs05/InformationTechnology.pdf

    > Do positions normally come with perks...ie car, medical and super ?

    Some do, not all.
    Bok, Mar 25, 2006
  6. paradise

    paradise Guest

    Thanks Bok
    Thats just what he was looking for.
    NZed

    paradise, Mar 25, 2006
  7. paradise

    Nihil Guest

    On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:59:28 +1200, Steve wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:51:22 +1200, paradise wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to get an idea of whats being paid in the IT industry presently
    >> in NZ. As a friend who is originally from the states now living in Australia
    >> and is now considering working and living in NZ, preferably Wellington.
    >> (this was his first choice before going to Australia)
    >>
    >> What salary range would someone be in with management, project managment and
    >> technical skills with over 20yrs experience in the industry.
    >> Do positions normally come with perks...ie car, medical and super ?
    >> What would be expected if it was a contract ie 3 or 6 months or more ?
    >> Which IT recruitment agencies would you recommend ?
    >>
    >> NZed

    > As a trainee kiwi, ex-brit, all I can say is... come here for the
    > lifestyle, not the money. If you get a decent wage, then all well and
    > good, but just consider it a bonus!
    > Personally, I'm earning less than 10% of my european salary ( with as much
    > if not more experience than your friend ), and I wouldn't change it for
    > anything!
    >
    > Steve

    I think I agree with you. Being wealthy in NZ is not about what your salary
    is but how smart you are at managinng and investing the money you have.
    e.g. I have friends who earn a lot more than me but they are not
    necessarily any wealthier.

    -N
    Nihil, Mar 25, 2006
  8. paradise

    Nihil Guest

    On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:20:21 +1200, jedmeister wrote:

    >> Personally, I'm earning less than 10% of my european salary ( with as much
    >> if not more experience than your friend ), and I wouldn't change it for
    >> anything!
    >>
    >> Steve

    > And, you are missing out on the awesome holidays you can take around europe.

    I'd rather go to Fiji.

    - N
    Nihil, Mar 25, 2006
  9. paradise

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:20:21 +1200, jedmeister wrote:

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:51:22 +1200, paradise wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to get an idea of whats being paid in the IT industry
    >>> presently
    >>> in NZ. As a friend who is originally from the states now living in
    >>> Australia
    >>> and is now considering working and living in NZ, preferably Wellington.
    >>> (this was his first choice before going to Australia)
    >>>
    >>> What salary range would someone be in with management, project managment
    >>> and
    >>> technical skills with over 20yrs experience in the industry.
    >>> Do positions normally come with perks...ie car, medical and super ?
    >>> What would be expected if it was a contract ie 3 or 6 months or more ?
    >>> Which IT recruitment agencies would you recommend ?
    >>>
    >>> NZed

    >> As a trainee kiwi, ex-brit, all I can say is... come here for the
    >> lifestyle, not the money. If you get a decent wage, then all well and
    >> good, but just consider it a bonus!
    >>
    >> Personally, I'm earning less than 10% of my european salary ( with as much
    >> if not more experience than your friend ), and I wouldn't change it for
    >> anything!
    >>
    >> Steve

    > And, you are missing out on the awesome holidays you can take around europe.
    >
    > 10%? Really? Why not go over there for 5 years ,then you can retire or just
    > do what you want at least.

    I was working there from 1981 until 2003. Then I emigrated. Just because
    you earn more doesn't mean that you don't have to spend more just to live.

    And I prefer my holidays here. If I want to go abroad I've got North and
    West Island :)

    Steve.
    Steve, Mar 25, 2006
  10. Between saving the world and having a spot of tea paradise said
    [snip]
    > What salary range would someone be in with management, project
    > managment and technical skills with over 20yrs experience in the
    > industry. Do positions normally come with perks...ie car, medical and
    > super ? What would be expected if it was a contract ie 3 or 6 months
    > or more ? Which IT recruitment agencies would you recommend ?

    It all depends how solid those skills actually are, but you're looking
    at $65K - $110K. Fringe Benefits depend on the employer and given the
    tax situation you're better to worry about the base salary, and what the
    annual\sick leave is.

    In Wellington it's extremely hard to recruit anyone
    good. One of the agencies I was speaking to the other day has 16 BA
    roles on their books and they aren't getting any candidates with
    anything like the right skills.

    I'd suggest your friend starts with Duncan & Ryan, Starfish, and Hudson.

    --
    rob singers
    pull finger to reply
    Robert Singers, Mar 25, 2006
  11. paradise

    Bok Guest

    Robert Singers wrote:
    > Between saving the world and having a spot of tea paradise said
    > [snip]
    >> What salary range would someone be in with management, project
    >> managment and technical skills with over 20yrs experience in the
    >> industry. Do positions normally come with perks...ie car, medical and
    >> super ? What would be expected if it was a contract ie 3 or 6 months
    >> or more ? Which IT recruitment agencies would you recommend ?

    > It all depends how solid those skills actually are, but you're looking
    > at $65K - $110K. Fringe Benefits depend on the employer and given the
    > tax situation you're better to worry about the base salary, and what the
    > annual\sick leave is.
    >
    > In Wellington it's extremely hard to recruit anyone
    > good.

    Not surprising, if the top IT salary is only $110K (non management I
    presume).
    Bok, Mar 25, 2006
  12. Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Bok said

    >> In Wellington it's extremely hard to recruit anyone good.

    > Not surprising, if the top IT salary is only $110K (non management I
    > presume).

    You presume wrong. Good consultants can earn more than $110K, as can a
    few other professions. I was merely giving the range that is typical
    for an immigrant to be likely to be looking at. After all they'll have
    no track record in the NZ market and references aren't 100% reliable as
    an indicator of performance.

    --
    rob singers
    pull finger to reply
    Robert Singers, Mar 26, 2006
  13. paradise

    Bok Guest

    Robert Singers wrote:
    > Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Bok said
    >
    >>> In Wellington it's extremely hard to recruit anyone good.

    >> Not surprising, if the top IT salary is only $110K (non management I
    >> presume).

    > You presume wrong.

    I presumed your $65k-110K range excluded management positions since IT
    managers do tend to earn more than that.

    > Good consultants can earn more than $110K, as can a few other professions.

    That's right and there are employers in NZ that pay more than that to
    permanent IT staff.

    > I was merely giving the range that is typical for an immigrant to be likely to be looking at.

    Fair enough; however, I was commenting on your remark:
    "In Wellington it's extremely hard to recruit anyone good."

    > After all they'll have no track record in the NZ market and references aren't 100% reliable as
    > an indicator of performance.

    Agreed.
    Bok, Mar 26, 2006
  14. Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Bok said

    >> You presume wrong.

    > I presumed your $65k-110K range excluded management positions since IT
    > managers do tend to earn more than that.

    You'd be suprised. Depending on where it is good technical staff can earn
    more than their managers.

    --
    rob singers
    pull finger to reply
    Robert Singers, Mar 27, 2006
  15. paradise

    Bok Guest

    Robert Singers wrote:
    > Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Bok said
    >
    >>> You presume wrong.

    >> I presumed your $65k-110K range excluded management positions since IT
    >> managers do tend to earn more than that.

    > You'd be suprised. Depending on where it is good technical staff can earn
    > more than their managers.

    Not surprised at all. The company I work for has historically paid
    certain technical staff more than their managers and still does.
    Bok, Mar 27, 2006