It finally happened to me (effed up and got fullscreen)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Michael Rogers, Oct 29, 2004.

  1. I go to Best Buy, intent on getting the new unrated Dawn Of The Dead.
    Best Buy had a extra exclusive disc on it, like they do sometimes.

    Last week Van Helsing also had an extra disc but was missing when I
    opened it. The manager (who I've sort of made friends with by now) said
    that a lot of marked packages were missing extra discs. They had to open
    2 marked packages to find the one extra disc.

    So, the thing on my mind was making sure the disc was in there. The
    manager opened it up with me and it was there.

    Bought it, took it home and popped it in to take a look and.....

    It was a fullscreen version.

    Usually, one of the first things I do is check specs to make sure I have
    the widescreen version. But this time I was so tunnelvisioned with
    making sure I got the extra disc that I forgot to check.

    It also doesn't help that they decided to put "fullscreen" on the bottom
    in black lettering sort of matching with the darker areas of the
    artwork.

    Oh well, was able to get it exchanged and all is well. But up until now,
    I've navigated the widescreen/fullscreen seperate release universe
    without a hitch. But I also hadn't realized that the new Dawn even had
    seperate 4:3 and widescreen releases (thought it was only widescreen,
    especially the unrated version).

    Michael Rogers, Oct 29, 2004

  2. Michael Rogers

    kaydigi Guest

    "Michael Rogers" <> wrote in message
    > I go to Best Buy, intent on getting the new unrated Dawn Of The Dead.
    > Best Buy had a extra exclusive disc on it, like they do sometimes.
    >
    > Last week Van Helsing also had an extra disc but was missing when I
    > opened it. The manager (who I've sort of made friends with by now) said
    > that a lot of marked packages were missing extra discs. They had to open
    > 2 marked packages to find the one extra disc.
    >
    > So, the thing on my mind was making sure the disc was in there. The
    > manager opened it up with me and it was there.
    >
    > Bought it, took it home and popped it in to take a look and.....
    >
    > It was a fullscreen version.
    >
    > Usually, one of the first things I do is check specs to make sure I have
    > the widescreen version. But this time I was so tunnelvisioned with
    > making sure I got the extra disc that I forgot to check.
    >
    > It also doesn't help that they decided to put "fullscreen" on the bottom
    > in black lettering sort of matching with the darker areas of the
    > artwork.
    >
    > Oh well, was able to get it exchanged and all is well. But up until now,
    > I've navigated the widescreen/fullscreen seperate release universe
    > without a hitch. But I also hadn't realized that the new Dawn even had
    > seperate 4:3 and widescreen releases (thought it was only widescreen,
    > especially the unrated version)

    I made sure I picked up widescreen version, I can never come home with a
    fullscreen DVD amd look my DVD player in the eye.

    kaydigi, Oct 29, 2004

  3. Michael Rogers

    Richard C. Guest

    > It was a fullscreen version.
    >

    > Oh well, was able to get it exchanged and all is well. But up until now,
    > I've navigated the widescreen/fullscreen seperate release universe
    > without a hitch. But I also hadn't realized that the new Dawn even had
    > seperate 4:3 and widescreen releases (thought it was only widescreen,
    > especially the unrated version).

    =============================
    Any alteration in aspect ratio is EVIL!

    Richard C., Oct 29, 2004
  4. Michael Rogers

    M.B. Guest

    Michael Rogers wrote:
    > It was a fullscreen version.

    If it's any consolation it happened to me once with the Scarface release
    last year. It was one of those that it didn't even cross my mind that
    they would release it in separate versions. Go figure!

    M.B., Oct 29, 2004
  5. > I made sure I picked up widescreen version, I can never come home with a
    > fullscreen DVD amd look my DVD player in the eye.

    Me neither...unless fullscreen is the OAR.

    Michael Walker, Oct 29, 2004
  6. Michael Rogers <> wrote in
    > Bought it, took it home and popped it in to take a look and.....
    >
    > It was a fullscreen version.

    My condolences.

    I've spent so much time suffering through buying fullscreen VHS, that
    I just can't leave the store without seeing "Widescreen Edition" with
    my own eyes, even for movies that never got a FS DVD release. Paranoia?
    Personal pride? Heh, I like to think it's just satisfaction at DVD, a
    very good product.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Oct 30, 2004
  7. Michael Rogers

    3W Guest

    "Michael Walker" <> wrote in message
    > > I made sure I picked up widescreen version, I can never come home with a
    > > fullscreen DVD amd look my DVD player in the eye.

    > Me neither...unless fullscreen is the OAR.

    HA! You infidel!

    3W, Oct 30, 2004
  8. Michael Rogers

    JCurwen Guest

    The same thing happened to me. I am usually careful about picking up the
    right version, but I didn't notice the words "Full Screen" at the bottom of
    the package due to the black lettering. I also didn't think that two
    versions had been released (I should know better by now). I got it home and
    was ready to watch it that night when I realized my mistake. Luckily, I
    hadn't opened it yet, and was able to exchange it the next day for the
    widescreen release (minus the bonus disc, unfortunately, as they didn't have
    any left with the widescreen version) without any problems.

    Shawn

    JCurwen, Oct 30, 2004
  9. "M.B." <> wrote in message
    > Michael Rogers wrote:
    > > It was a fullscreen version.

    > If it's any consolation it happened to me once with the Scarface release
    > last year. It was one of those that it didn't even cross my mind that
    > they would release it in separate versions. Go figure!

    Same thing happened to me a couple of years back with AOTC - I was pissed
    off, posted that the packaging should be a bit clearer (not to mention, like
    you, it had never occurred to me that it would have seperate versions
    released!), and was called a dumb-ass all up & down the Newsgroup.

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Oct 30, 2004
  10. Michael Rogers

    nomis Guest

    On 2004-10-29 02:06:40 -0400, Michael Rogers <> said:

    > I go to Best Buy, intent on getting the new unrated Dawn Of The Dead.
    > Best Buy had a extra exclusive disc on it, like they do sometimes.
    > Last week Van Helsing also had an extra disc but was missing when I
    > opened it. The manager (who I've sort of made friends with by now) said
    > that a lot of marked packages were missing extra discs. They had to open
    > 2 marked packages to find the one extra disc.
    >
    > So, the thing on my mind was making sure the disc was in there. The
    > manager opened it up with me and it was there.
    > Bought it, took it home and popped it in to take a look and.....
    >
    > It was a fullscreen version.
    >
    > Usually, one of the first things I do is check specs to make sure I have
    > the widescreen version. But this time I was so tunnelvisioned with
    > making sure I got the extra disc that I forgot to check.
    >
    > It also doesn't help that they decided to put "fullscreen" on the bottom
    > in black lettering sort of matching with the darker areas of the
    > artwork.
    >
    > Oh well, was able to get it exchanged and all is well. But up until now,
    > I've navigated the widescreen/fullscreen seperate release universe
    > without a hitch. But I also hadn't realized that the new Dawn even had
    > seperate 4:3 and widescreen releases (thought it was only widescreen,
    > especially the unrated version).

    It happened to me with BABE. It happens to us all, eventually.
    --
    nomis

    http://www.oozingbrain.com

    nomis, Oct 30, 2004
  11. Michael Rogers

    Shinner Guest

    nomis <> wrote in news:2004103013551816807%
    ghostbrain@oozingbraincom:

    > It happened to me with BABE. It happens to us all, eventually.

    Not everyone. I've taken to looking for aspect ratios and anamorphic
    information, if a new release isn't anamorphic, I generally won't buy it. I
    don't just look at the front of the box.

    (Standard disclaimer applies...original source being FS, like TV shows,
    many Kubrick flicks, etc DNA)

    Shinner, Oct 30, 2004
  12. Michael Rogers

    idlethinker Guest

    Michael Rogers <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I go to Best Buy, intent on getting the new unrated Dawn Of The Dead.
    > Best Buy had a extra exclusive disc on it, like they do sometimes.
    > Bought it, took it home and popped it in to take a look and.....

    [snip]

    > It was a fullscreen version.
    >
    > Usually, one of the first things I do is check specs to make sure I have
    > the widescreen version. But this time I was so tunnelvisioned with
    > making sure I got the extra disc that I forgot to check.

    I did that once. The one time I didn't bother to check aspect ratio
    and wouldn't you know it, I picked up the full screen version of "Old
    School". I could have kicked myself. Ran back to Best Buy and asked
    to exchange it for a wide screen version. They gave me the runaround
    of "we don't accept DVD returns". When I asked them if I should "go
    to Fry's from now on to buy my DVDs" they quick backtracked and
    exchanged my FS out for the WS version.

    -idlethinker
    www.wizardneedsfoodbadly.com

    idlethinker, Oct 31, 2004
  13. Michael Rogers

    Richard C. Guest

    "Shinner" <> wrote in message
    > nomis <> wrote in news:2004103013551816807%
    > ghostbrain@oozingbraincom:
    >
    >> It happened to me with BABE. It happens to us all, eventually.

    > Not everyone. I've taken to looking for aspect ratios and anamorphic
    > information, if a new release isn't anamorphic, I generally won't buy it.
    > don't just look at the front of the box.

    ============================
    Except for some damned releases like "dogville".
    It says NOTHING on the box about aspect ratio nor enhancement.
    Some need to get a clue...................

    Richard C., Nov 2, 2004
  14. Michael Rogers

    Shinner Guest

    "Richard C." <> wrote in news:4187a0dd$0$31329
    $:

    > Except for some damned releases like "dogville".
    > It says NOTHING on the box about aspect ratio nor enhancement.
    > Some need to get a clue...................

    hmm....not run into that problem yet (luckily). sometimes it is very hard
    to find. I think I've had some where it was noted on one of the sides in
    very small print. You'd think it would always be on the front or back.

    Shinner, Nov 2, 2004
  15. Michael Rogers

    Larry Guest

    In article <Xns959568C75DBDCshinnerearthlinknet@
    207.69.189.191>, says...
    > hmm....not run into that problem yet (luckily). sometimes it is very hard
    > to find. I think I've had some where it was noted on one of the sides in
    > very small print. You'd think it would always be on the front or back.

    Rule of thumb seems to be:

    If Aspect Ratio is not mentioned on the package, its
    usually fullscreen crapola.

    Thats the way it works in the $5 bin anyway. Some of the
    older releases were either released fullscreen only, or two
    different versions.

    The ones that were two different versions tended to have
    WIDESCREEN somewhere on the box, and nothing on the
    fullscreen boxes.

    I have a couple that way. One of them is "Doc Hollywood"
    The fullscreen version (the only version I have) mentions
    nothing on the box about AR. I dont know if its available
    in widescreen or not. I like the movie, and since its "open
    matte" and not P&S I'll live with it, but if I find it in
    OAR I'll buy it again and give away the one I have.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Nov 2, 2004
  16. Michael Rogers

    Richard C. Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Xns959568C75DBDCshinnerearthlinknet@
    > 207.69.189.191>, says...
    >> hmm....not run into that problem yet (luckily). sometimes it is very hard
    >> to find. I think I've had some where it was noted on one of the sides in
    >> very small print. You'd think it would always be on the front or back.
    >>

    > Rule of thumb seems to be:
    >
    > If Aspect Ratio is not mentioned on the package, its
    > usually fullscreen crapola.
    >
    > Thats the way it works in the $5 bin anyway. Some of the
    > older releases were either released fullscreen only, or two
    > different versions.
    >
    > The ones that were two different versions tended to have
    > WIDESCREEN somewhere on the box, and nothing on the
    > fullscreen boxes.
    >
    > I have a couple that way. One of them is "Doc Hollywood"
    > The fullscreen version (the only version I have) mentions
    > nothing on the box about AR. I dont know if its available
    > in widescreen or not. I like the movie, and since its "open
    > matte" and not P&S I'll live with it, but if I find it in
    > OAR I'll buy it again and give away the one I have.

    ============================
    Except that Dogville (which says nothing on the box) is indeed 16:9 WS.
    ============================

    Richard C., Nov 4, 2004
  17. Michael Rogers

    Larry Guest

    In article <418a42ad$0$31253
    $>,
    says...

    > "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <Xns959568C75DBDCshinnerearthlinknet@
    > > 207.69.189.191>, says...
    > >> hmm....not run into that problem yet (luckily). sometimes it is very hard
    > >> to find. I think I've had some where it was noted on one of the sides in
    > >> very small print. You'd think it would always be on the front or back.
    > >>

    > > Rule of thumb seems to be:
    > >
    > > If Aspect Ratio is not mentioned on the package, its
    > > usually fullscreen crapola.
    > >
    > > Thats the way it works in the $5 bin anyway. Some of the
    > > older releases were either released fullscreen only, or two
    > > different versions.
    > >
    > > The ones that were two different versions tended to have
    > > WIDESCREEN somewhere on the box, and nothing on the
    > > fullscreen boxes.
    > >
    > > I have a couple that way. One of them is "Doc Hollywood"
    > > The fullscreen version (the only version I have) mentions
    > > nothing on the box about AR. I dont know if its available
    > > in widescreen or not. I like the movie, and since its "open
    > > matte" and not P&S I'll live with it, but if I find it in
    > > OAR I'll buy it again and give away the one I have.
    > >

    > ============================
    > Except that Dogville (which says nothing on the box) is indeed 16:9 WS.
    > ============================

    Yep! Thats why I said USUALLY... like all "rule of thumb"
    rules, it cant be trusted all the time..

    I have a large collection, and only ONE movie in widescreen
    that doesn't say it on the box. (Wonder Boys) That disk,
    however was bought as a used rental, and I dont think it
    has original packaging.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Nov 4, 2004
  18. >I have a large collection, and only ONE movie in widescreen
    >that doesn't say it on the box. (Wonder Boys) That disk,
    >however was bought as a used rental, and I dont think it
    >has original packaging.

    I believe the only WS DVD in my collection that doesn't note that fact on its
    packaging is "Serial Mom." It was in the $5.50 bin at Wal-Mart for a long time
    before I finally broke down and bought it- fearing a P&S edition, but really
    wanting to hear Waters's commentary track. The WS presentation was a pleasant
    surprise.

    Robert Morgan, Nov 5, 2004