It fall down. Go BOOM!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DWACON, Aug 6, 2006.

  1. DWACON

    DWACON Guest

    Got a good deal on a used PC... an hp Pavilion. I spent a week deleting the
    original owner's SW and installing mine.

    One day, I went to turn it on and while the fans started and the two CD
    drives started up... but the keyboard lights didn't come on and the monitor
    remains in sleep mode.

    I checked all connections and opened the box to see if any cables had come
    loose. All seems to be straight.

    I am thinking maybe I should buy and install a new power supply but since it
    is out of warranty, it will be all out of my pocket.

    Any ideas?

    --
    Your parents take care of you until you're 21. The government takes care of
    you after you're 65. You only have to take care of yourself for 44 years.
    DWACON, Aug 6, 2006

  2. DWACON

    thanatoid Guest

    "DWACON" <> wrote in

    > Got a good deal on a used PC... an hp Pavilion. I spent a
    > week deleting the original owner's SW and installing mine.
    >
    > One day, I went to turn it on and while the fans started
    > and the two CD drives started up... but the keyboard lights
    > didn't come on and the monitor remains in sleep mode.
    >
    > I checked all connections and opened the box to see if any
    > cables had come loose. All seems to be straight.
    >
    > I am thinking maybe I should buy and install a new power
    > supply but since it is out of warranty, it will be all out
    > of my pocket.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Some friends of mine used to have a band called "Fall Down Go
    Boom".
    Anyway...

    Have you tried to boot it up like ten times? And it happens
    EVERY time? If so, someone more knowledgeable than me will have
    to help you.

    I used to have a similar problem very occasionally but booting
    up a second time solved it every time. I think cheap switches
    and connections get gunked up with time, especially if the
    previous owner used a power bar or a UPS to switch the whole
    thing on.
    thanatoid, Aug 7, 2006

  3. DWACON

    abright52 Guest

    Re: It fall down. Go BOOM!

    Doesn't sound like a power supply, since your fans are still getting
    power.
    I would unplug the computer, open it up and unplug the power
    connector(s) from the motherboard, then plug them back in a few minutes
    later. I would also reseat the video card (if it is not on-board) and
    the RAM.

    Do you hear any beeping from the computer when you try to start it?
    abright52, Aug 7, 2006
  4. DWACON

    PeeCee Guest

    "DWACON" <> wrote in message
    > Got a good deal on a used PC... an hp Pavilion. I spent a week deleting
    > the original owner's SW and installing mine.
    >
    > One day, I went to turn it on and while the fans started and the two CD
    > drives started up... but the keyboard lights didn't come on and the
    > monitor remains in sleep mode.
    >
    > I checked all connections and opened the box to see if any cables had come
    > loose. All seems to be straight.
    >
    > I am thinking maybe I should buy and install a new power supply but since
    > it is out of warranty, it will be all out of my pocket.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >

    > --
    > Your parents take care of you until you're 21. The government takes care
    > of you after you're 65. You only have to take care of yourself for 44
    > years.

    I had a job last week where the CMOS had changed the CPU settings for a
    faster CPU than that installed.
    Same effect as you are describing, though did occasionally see the Bios
    screen reporting a mismatch with the CPU settings.
    Reset the CMOS and then manually changed the settings to match the CPU and
    it all ran fine.

    Other than that measure the PSU voltages are within 5% and reduce the PC to
    Motherboard, CPU, Video and 1 stick of RAM.
    If it runs then add bits till it stops, if it doesn't find another
    compatible PC and test the plug in bits.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Aug 7, 2006
  5. DWACON

    DWACON Guest

    Re: It fall down. Go BOOM!

    "abright52" <> wrote in message
    > Doesn't sound like a power supply, since your fans are still getting
    > power.
    > I would unplug the computer, open it up and unplug the power
    > connector(s) from the motherboard, then plug them back in a few minutes
    > later. I would also reseat the video card (if it is not on-board) and
    > the RAM.
    >
    > Do you hear any beeping from the computer when you try to start it?

    Tried all of the above... no beeping.
    DWACON, Aug 9, 2006