    for job security and better pay. I don't have any certs at
    this time and never really gave it much thought til now.
    Is it that important?
    Daniel, Sep 4, 2004

  2. Daniel

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Daniel climbed on a soapbox & opined:

    > I have been the network admin. for my company for over 3
    > years. Now my peers think that I need to grab some certs
    > for job security and better pay. I don't have any certs at
    > this time and never really gave it much thought til now.
    > Is it that important?

    I dunno, ask your boss. If they will pay for the process, then yes. Will
    they raise your pay if you get certified? If not, why bother?

    JaR
    JaR, Sep 4, 2004

  3. Daniel

    SteveB Guest

    A friend works at a major national health club chain. A new IT director
    came in and gave everyone 6 months to reach a certain certification level in
    MS or Cisco.

    Some new guys were hired and some current employees were let let go after 6
    months.

    Some companies have planned salary increases for specific certs.

    The exams are a lot of work . . . your work experience will get you about
    1/4 to 1/2 the way there. The rest of it is stuff that most admins have
    never used. I teach the stuff and it takes me about 40 hours to prep for an
    exam even after a year of work with systems being covered by the exam.

    Steveb
    mcsa, mcse, mct, ciw

    SteveB, Sep 4, 2004
  4. Daniel

    BrianS Guest

    I have never been that cold with my staff but I do tell them that you should
    be promoting yourself not just for your present job but also future ones.
    You never know when you may be back looking for a job for whatever reason
    and one of my obligations I feel is to make sure my staff is prepared for
    that whether it be due to lay-offs or them needing to make a change. It is
    certainly much easier to get certs when you are employed and have to work
    with the technology rather than relying on a home network. A home network
    is good but nothing beats the real thing.

    BrianS, Sep 4, 2004