  1. A poultry delight!

    <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/baltimore_chicken.htm>

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 24, 2008

  2. Rita Berkowitz wrote:
    > A poultry delight!
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/baltimore_chicken.htm>

    A general warning: This "Rita" will sometimes post a picture of a pile
    of manure, so once burned I haven't look at a single URL he posts. Based
    on other commentary, I have missed exactly nothing.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Mar 24, 2008

  3. Rita Berkowitz

    Savageduck Guest

    On 2008-03-24 16:44:51 -0700, "Rita Berkowitz" <> said:

    > A poultry delight!
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/baltimore_chicken.htm>
    >

    > Rita

    Yes, but sometimes all they want is fish.

    http://snipr.com/22j3d-qw4va7

    and any hint it tastes just like chicken leads to a dirty look!

    http://snipr.com/22j3h-qihng2

    Regards,

    Savageduck

    Savageduck, Mar 25, 2008
  4. In article <>,
    John McWilliams <> wrote:

    > Rita Berkowitz wrote:
    > > A poultry delight!
    > >
    > > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/baltimore_chicken.htm>
    > >

    > A general warning: This "Rita" will sometimes post a picture of a pile
    > of manure, so once burned I haven't look at a single URL he posts. Based
    > on other commentary, I have missed exactly nothing.

    They're kind of the stuff you shoot because you're not wasting film
    anymore. They're not bad but they're nothing to brag about either.

    --
    I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Mar 25, 2008
  5. On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:15:04 -0700 Savageduck <>
    wrote:

    > and any hint it tastes just like chicken leads to a dirty look!
    >
    > http://snipr.com/22j3h-qihng2

    That one seems ever so slightly out of focus, or is it my eyes?

    John Phillips, Mar 25, 2008
  6. Rita Berkowitz

    Savageduck Guest

    On 2008-03-25 02:21:05 -0700, John Phillips <> said:

    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:15:04 -0700 Savageduck <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> and any hint it tastes just like chicken leads to a dirty look!
    >>
    >> http://snipr.com/22j3h-qihng2

    > That one seems ever so slightly out of focus, or is it my eyes?

    Your eyes are not deceiving you. Therein lies the one of the drawbacks
    of the 80-400 VR. It is not exactly an AF speed king, or bad light
    solution. At times the AF can be frustratingly slow and even though
    this bird stands his ground, you still have to be quick on the trigger
    to make the capture.

    Also those shots were taken on different days, and the overcast, light
    and position were not good for that shot taken with a D70. It would
    have been much better with a D300 or D3 with a 70-200 VR or Rita's
    500/4.

    The good thing is that osprey is a seasonal regular at that spot and
    now I have better weaponry with a new D300.

    Regards,
    Savageduck

    Savageduck, Mar 25, 2008
  7. Rita Berkowitz

    Focus Guest

    "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    >A poultry delight!
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/baltimore_chicken.htm>
    >

    > Rita

    Don't mind all the jealous P&V guys (Piss and Vinegar); I think it's a great
    shot! You got it exactly right with a perfect DOF from head to tail. Not
    easy with such a long lens!

    --
    Focus

    Focus, Mar 25, 2008
  8. Rita Berkowitz

    George Kerby Guest

    On 3/24/08 6:57 PM, in article ,
    "John McWilliams" <> wrote:

    > Rita Berkowitz wrote:
    >> A poultry delight!
    >>
    >> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/baltimore_chicken.htm>
    >>

    > A general warning: This "Rita" will sometimes post a picture of a pile
    > of manure

    Just a self-portrait, that's all...

    George Kerby, Mar 25, 2008
  9. Rita Berkowitz

    stuseven Guest

    On Mar 24, 7:44 pm, "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:
    > A poultry delight!
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/baltimore_chicken.htm>
    >
    > Rita

    oooo... ooo... Rita... this one is fantastic !!

    stuseven, Mar 25, 2008
  10. Rita Berkowitz

    Pboud Guest

    Pboud, Mar 25, 2008
  11. Rita Berkowitz

    Buy_Sell Guest

    The 'robin' actually tastes quite good. Some folks, that I know, from
    northern Italy put them in their spaghetti sauce along with all sorts
    of other creatures. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Most
    people thought that frog's legs would be terrible tasting, until they
    ate them in their local Chinese Buffet and asked "what is this, it is
    very good?"

    Buy_Sell, Mar 25, 2008
  12. Rita Berkowitz

    Allen Guest

    Buy_Sell wrote:
    > The 'robin' actually tastes quite good. Some folks, that I know, from
    > northern Italy put them in their spaghetti sauce along with all sorts
    > of other creatures. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Most
    > people thought that frog's legs would be terrible tasting, until they
    > ate them in their local Chinese Buffet and asked "what is this, it is
    > very good?"

    <snip>
    Years ago I had a dachshund that thought robins had a good taste. He was
    tormented by aggressive mockingbirds attacking him (something they seem
    to delight in) and he developed a hatred (but not a distaste) for all
    birds. Don't let those short little dachs legs fool you--they are
    extremely fast little critters. Whenever robins would land on the grass
    in our back yard he would usually catch one of the flock before they
    could take wing.
    Allen

    Allen, Mar 25, 2008
  13. ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
    stuseven <> wrote:
    > On Mar 24, 7:44 pm, "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:
    >> A poultry delight!

    >> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/baltimore_chicken.htm>

    > oooo... ooo... Rita... this one is fantastic !!

    Probably stolen from some internet page --- even the famous
    Rita-Bokeh is missing, hence it's not zir's picture.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 25, 2008
  14. Focus wrote:

    >> A poultry delight!
    >>
    >> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/baltimore_chicken.htm>

    > Don't mind all the jealous P&V guys (Piss and Vinegar); I think it's
    > a great shot! You got it exactly right with a perfect DOF from head
    > to tail. Not easy with such a long lens!

    Mind them? I love them. They are what make these groups so interesting.
    There's nothing more satisfying than kicking the hornet's nest and watching
    the idiots swarm. Even Bob Gnarly got a kick out of them.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 25, 2008
  15. Buy_Sell wrote:

    > The 'robin' actually tastes quite good. Some folks, that I know, from
    > northern Italy put them in their spaghetti sauce along with all sorts
    > of other creatures. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Most
    > people thought that frog's legs would be terrible tasting, until they
    > ate them in their local Chinese Buffet and asked "what is this, it is
    > very good?"

    I'm sure they do. I had stuffed quail the other day. Frog legs are also
    very good, but I haven't had them in years. I'm not sure I would use a
    Chinese buffet as an indicator of anything tasting very good since they fry
    everything in the cheapest oil they can find and shovel on the MSG.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 25, 2008
  16. Rita Berkowitz

    > Buy_Sell wrote:
    >
    >> The 'robin' actually tastes quite good. Some folks, that I know, from
    >> northern Italy put them in their spaghetti sauce along with all sorts
    >> of other creatures. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Most
    >> people thought that frog's legs would be terrible tasting, until they
    >> ate them in their local Chinese Buffet and asked "what is this, it is
    >> very good?"

    > I'm sure they do. I had stuffed quail the other day. Frog legs are also
    > very good, but I haven't had them in years. I'm not sure I would use a
    > Chinese buffet as an indicator of anything tasting very good since they
    > fry
    > everything in the cheapest oil they can find and shovel on the MSG.

    And you don't even want to see their kitchens. Here in Portugal they
    "invented" a new police force with the task to improve the restaurant
    business, just 2 years ago. Their slogan seems to be: "Customers first". So
    far they closed 3 Chinese restaurants in Porto, 4 in Lisbon and numerous
    others in other cities.
    One, located in Alentejo, close to the Spanish border, got several warnings,
    then they moved a few miles over the border to Spain. I hope the best for
    the Spanish people ;-)
    But I've noticed the same problems in Holland and other countries; the
    Chinese don't take hygiene very serious...

    --
    Focus

    Focus, Mar 26, 2008
  17. Focus wrote:

    >> I'm sure they do. I had stuffed quail the other day. Frog legs are
    >> also very good, but I haven't had them in years. I'm not sure I
    >> would use a Chinese buffet as an indicator of anything tasting very
    >> good since they fry
    >> everything in the cheapest oil they can find and shovel on the MSG.
    >>

    > And you don't even want to see their kitchens. Here in Portugal they
    > "invented" a new police force with the task to improve the restaurant
    > business, just 2 years ago. Their slogan seems to be: "Customers
    > first". So far they closed 3 Chinese restaurants in Porto, 4 in
    > Lisbon and numerous others in other cities.
    > One, located in Alentejo, close to the Spanish border, got several
    > warnings, then they moved a few miles over the border to Spain. I
    > hope the best for the Spanish people ;-)
    > But I've noticed the same problems in Holland and other countries; the
    > Chinese don't take hygiene very serious...

    Yep, that's why I always say you must take a look behind a Chinese
    restaurant before going in the front door. You never know what you'll find
    back there. Here's a "behind the scenes" shot of Harry S Chung's place.
    They cleaned it up remarkably well and got their act together. I'm not sure
    I would eat in there, though. I always wondered what they did with the
    scraps from the customers' plates. No wonder that "All you can eat" dinner
    special is only six bucks!

    <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/fire.htm>

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 26, 2008
  18. On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 06:49:19 -0400 "Rita Berkowitz"
    <> wrote:

    > Yep, that's why I always say you must take a look behind a Chinese
    > restaurant before going in the front door.

    I was travelling in China on business a few years ago, and I often eat
    from street stalls.

    I noticed one of them was washing the dishes in a bowl of cold dirty
    water, and rinsed her hands in there as well.

    In another restaurant with luxurious surrounds and great (read heaps
    of MSG?) food, I happened to use the men's room; filthiest and
    smelliest I have ever seen.

    My girlfriend refused for the same reason to use the ladies room.

    John Phillips, Mar 26, 2008
  19. Rita Berkowitz

    Buy_Sell Guest

    Recently, I took a trip to Orlando, Florida on holiday. I went to one
    of these North Americanized Chinese restaurants. The most interesting
    thing that I discovered was the cheap labor. The restaurant that I
    was at, were doing something that I've never heard of before. The
    chinese immigrant woman who were working there, were not being paid a
    salary. Their housing was paid for and they got three meals a day,
    but the only money that they made was their tips. This is very cheap
    labor and no wonder the cost of the "all you can eat" was low.

    In Canada, the cost of labor is a killer on businesses. In Calgary,
    the guy who stocks the shelves at the SuperStore gets paid $17.40/
    hr Our cost of housing is ridiculously high. You cannot find a
    beat up old house for less than $300,000. There are several people
    here that have good paying jobs but are homeless. Figure that one
    out...

    I can see that Canada is not far away from the housing crisis that has
    hit the USA. I would never have believed it until I went and saw it
    with my own eyes. There were so many houses, businesses, etc. for
    sale or rent. Hard times are not that far away. It is a really scary
    thought.

    Buy_Sell, Mar 26, 2008
  20. Rita Berkowitz wrote:
    > A poultry delight!
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/baltimore_chicken.htm>
    >

    > Rita

    That Robin is dead and has been stuffed. Disgusting.

    Rat River Cemetary, Mar 27, 2008