It ain't just the RGB, though.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by The Kenosha Kid, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. OK now that I've been taught a little about the terms I'll come clean
    with our problem.

    We use an LS-4000 ED for slides and film strips. I don't do the
    scanning, I just try to keep the thing running.

    For the past year the strip feeder has been "broken" so my wife, the
    primary user, digitized all the slides we have. I just cleaned up the
    strip film feeder so she could use it again. The feeder works fine
    but either we are doing something dreadfully wrong with Nikon Scan 4,
    the software is trashed or the aliens have landed, who knows?

    Anyway whenever ANY of the RGB options (Nikon Color Management
    enabled) other than "scanner RGB" is selected in Nikon Scan, the
    preview and scan comes out looking like the negative, only worse. For
    instance, sRGB paints everything a yucky shade of magenta and the
    others run the permutations from horrible to Monsters Inc. with the
    exception of Wide Gamut RGB (compensated) which hangs the preview
    display when selected. The thumbnails are OK since I suppose that
    they use the native RGB of the scanner.

    I can enable "scanner RGB" again and the previews and the scans are
    what they should be. I can run slides and everything behaves except
    Wide Gamut RGB (compensated) still hangs the preview display.

    She was running negative film without a glitch before she started
    going through slide carrousels. She is running Nikon Scan 4.0.0 on
    top of Windows XP Pro SP1 on a new Compaq machine. The usual switches
    have been set: color (negative) and calibrated RGB enabled along with
    the Color Management RGB options previously described. She said she
    upgraded the software in May or June.

    I am either missing something very fundamental or the software is
    fried.

    Any better guesses?

    The Kenosha Kid, Sep 17, 2004

  2. The Kenosha Kid

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: The Kenosha Kid
    >
    >either we are doing something dreadfully wrong with Nikon Scan 4,
    >the software is trashed or the aliens have landed, who knows?
    >
    >Anyway whenever ANY of the RGB options (Nikon Color Management
    >enabled) other than "scanner RGB" is selected in Nikon Scan, the
    >preview and scan comes out looking like the negative, only worse.

    Sounds like it's not finding the other profiles, maybe check that it's looking
    in the right place?

    >I can enable "scanner RGB" again and the previews and the scans are
    >what they should be.

    "scanner RGB" is what it ALWAYS scans in, then if you have a different profile
    selected it will basically do a "convert to profile" for you before writing out
    a tagged file. If you have Photoshop or other advanced software with color
    management features you can work around this by simply scanning in 'scanner
    RGB' and when you open the file you should get a "Missing Profile" or "Profile
    Mismatch" dialog box (unless you turned these warnings off in your color
    management setup). At that point you can convert to your chosen working
    profile (likely AdobeRGB or sRGB if you've been reading the other posts).

    Basically you are doing this step manually later in the flow instead of having
    the Nikon software do it for you after it scans but before it writes out the
    file. No big deal so long as it gets done somewhere.

    >I am either missing something very fundamental or the software is
    >fried.

    I'd try re-installing the Nikon software, it sounds like it can't access the
    profiles to me.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Sep 17, 2004

  3. The Kenosha Kid

    Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:56:33 GMT, The Kenosha Kid
    <> wrote:

    >OK now that I've been taught a little about the terms I'll come clean
    >with our problem.
    >
    >We use an LS-4000 ED for slides and film strips. I don't do the
    >scanning, I just try to keep the thing running.
    >
    >For the past year the strip feeder has been "broken" so my wife, the
    >primary user, digitized all the slides we have. I just cleaned up the
    >strip film feeder so she could use it again. The feeder works fine
    >but either we are doing something dreadfully wrong with Nikon Scan 4,
    >the software is trashed or the aliens have landed, who knows?
    >
    >Anyway whenever ANY of the RGB options (Nikon Color Management
    >enabled) other than "scanner RGB" is selected in Nikon Scan, the
    >preview and scan comes out looking like the negative, only worse. For
    >instance, sRGB paints everything a yucky shade of magenta and the
    >others run the permutations from horrible to Monsters Inc. with the
    >exception of Wide Gamut RGB (compensated) which hangs the preview
    >display when selected. The thumbnails are OK since I suppose that
    >they use the native RGB of the scanner.
    >
    >I can enable "scanner RGB" again and the previews and the scans are
    >what they should be. I can run slides and everything behaves except
    >Wide Gamut RGB (compensated) still hangs the preview display.
    >
    >She was running negative film without a glitch

    OK.

    > before she started
    >going through slide carrousels. She is running Nikon Scan 4.0.0 on
    >top of Windows XP Pro SP1 on a new Compaq machine. The usual switches
    >have been set: color (negative)

    Still "color (negative)" when you're now working with slides?

    > and calibrated RGB enabled along with
    >the Color Management RGB options previously described. She said she
    >upgraded the software in May or June.
    >
    >I am either missing something very fundamental or the software is
    >fried.
    >
    >Any better guesses?

    , Sep 18, 2004
  4. On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:07:48 GMT, wrote:

    <<SNIPPPP>>>

    > Still "color (negative)" when you're now working with slides?

    <<SNIP>>

    No. As soon as you slide the slide attachment into the scanner the
    default changes to positive.

    The Kenosha Kid, Sep 18, 2004
  5. On 17 Sep 2004 21:58:12 GMT, dy (Bill Hilton)
    wrote:

    >>From: The Kenosha Kid

    <<SNIPPPPPP>>

    >>I am either missing something very fundamental or the software is
    >>fried.

    >I'd try re-installing the Nikon software, it sounds like it can't access the
    >profiles to me.
    >
    >Bill

    Thanks, I just tried that. I put the software on the workstation I'm
    using for CAD and graphics and everything works as advertised.

    She changed boxes during the past year. The machine is still a Compaq
    but she says the video card is an Nvidia. Mine is dual Xeon with a
    3DLabs Oxygen running on Windows 2000 Pro: Apples and oranges.

    I had her uninstall the Nikon application, manually delete any of the
    subdirectories and files left by the unistaller and then reinstall the
    basic Nikon Scan 4.0 package and the 4.0.2 update. No change
    whatsoever, the previews are the same yucky magenta, yet the results
    on my machine are perfect.

    Anyway thanks for the sound advice. I think it is narrowing down to
    her machine. Maybe either the Nvidia or the MS XP is kryptonite.

    The Kenosha Kid, Sep 18, 2004
  6. The Kenosha Kid

    Tony Guest

    Turn off Nikon colour management - it is detremental.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Sep 18, 2004
  7. On 17 Sep 2004 21:58:12 GMT, dy (Bill Hilton)
    wrote:

    All is revealed.

    My wife found a folder in \Program Files\Common Files\Nikon that the
    uninstaller had ignored, that she had missed and which contained four
    folders of which one was Profiles. (Uninstallers are not)

    She blew away the data in Common Files as well as the rest of the
    garbage that uninstall did not clean up, reinstalled Nikon Scan 4 and
    the update to 4.0.2, and everything runs as advertised.

    So Profiles was probably corrupt and your diagnosis that the problem
    could not find the correct profile was on the mark.

    Pour yourself a tall one on me.

    The Kenosha Kid, Sep 18, 2004