    expertise is going to be rendered obsolete. Yet Microsoft remains
    exceedingly coy about reassuring them this won’t happen.

    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-needs-to-tell-windows-8-developers-now-about-jupiter-and-silverlight/9608>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2011

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> writes:

    > Microsoft has been emphasizing HTML5+JavaScript in its demos of Windows 8,
    > with little mention of anything else. Windows developers using its existing
    > technologies (Silverlight, Dotnet etc) are deeply worried that all their
    > expertise is going to be rendered obsolete. Yet Microsoft remains
    > exceedingly coy about reassuring them this won’t happen.
    >
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-needs-to-tell-windows-8-developers-now-about-jupiter-and-silverlight/9608>

    Open standards, such as HTML5 and JavaScript, are always better (in the
    long run, at least) than proprietary platforms, such as Silverlight. So
    long as Microsoft isn't using their Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish
    tactic, I'm glad they're embracing HTML5 and JavaScript.

    --Aidan

    Aidan Gauland, Jun 7, 2011

  3. In message <>, Aidan Gauland wrote:

    > Open standards, such as HTML5 and JavaScript, are always better (in the
    > long run, at least) than proprietary platforms, such as Silverlight.

    Sure, but it’s not so good news for those developers who have spent years of
    time and effort mastering those proprietary platforms.

    > So long as Microsoft isn't using their Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish
    > tactic, I'm glad they're embracing HTML5 and JavaScript.

    It’s hard to see how they can pull the old tricks. Any attempt by them to
    break the open Web would be smacked down pretty quickly these days.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> writes:

    > In message <>, Aidan Gauland wrote:
    >
    >> Open standards, such as HTML5 and JavaScript, are always better (in the
    >> long run, at least) than proprietary platforms, such as Silverlight.

    > Sure, but it’s not so good news for those developers who have spent years of
    > time and effort mastering those proprietary platforms.

    I agree. This is why backward compatibility is important when adopting
    a new technology that is incompatible with the old one.

    >> So long as Microsoft isn't using their Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish
    >> tactic, I'm glad they're embracing HTML5 and JavaScript.

    > It’s hard to see how they can pull the old tricks. Any attempt by them to
    > break the open Web would be smacked down pretty quickly these days.

    Yes, I don't see how they could do this here. They would be foolish to
    try.

    Aidan Gauland, Jun 7, 2011
  5. In message <>, Aidan Gauland wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> writes:
    >
    >> In message <>, Aidan Gauland wrote:
    >>
    >>> Open standards, such as HTML5 and JavaScript, are always better (in the
    >>> long run, at least) than proprietary platforms, such as Silverlight.

    >> Sure, but it’s not so good news for those developers who have spent years
    >> of time and effort mastering those proprietary platforms.

    > I agree. This is why backward compatibility is important when adopting
    > a new technology that is incompatible with the old one.

    Microsoft only seems to be doing that to the extent that all the old stuff
    now sits in an isolated box marked “legacyâ€. The new stuff has to be built
    in a completely different way.

    This is what has the mavens of those “legacy†technologies up in arms.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2011
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Boots Guest

    Re: It¢s Windows, Jim, But Not As We Know It!

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 15:37:07 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> Open standards, such as HTML5 and JavaScript, are always better (in the
    >> long run, at least) than proprietary platforms, such as Silverlight.

    > Sure, but it’s not so good news for those developers who have spent
    > years of time and effort mastering those proprietary platforms.

    Not that many years for Silverlight. Hasn't it only been around for a
    couple of years?

    It was clearly intended to be a "use this instead of" to replace Flash.
    Even more clearly it hasn't taken off and is a mouldy lemon.

    Boots, Jun 7, 2011