    <http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2011/06/may-browser-market-share-microsoft-and-mozillas-continuing-chrome-conundrum.ars>.
    Chrome is the fastest-growing, and will probably equal Firefox at some
    point. Will it pass it? Who knows...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2011

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    > Looks like Internet Explorer is in terminal decline: Microsoft keeps
    > bringing out new versions, but existing users can’t be bothered upgrading,
    > it seems they would rather switch
    > <http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2011/06/may-browser-market-share-microsoft-and-mozillas-continuing-chrome-conundrum.ars>.
    > Chrome is the fastest-growing, and will probably equal Firefox at some
    > point. Will it pass it? Who knows...

    9 is shit. 8 is ok.

    9 cant even render text without making it look like it was rendered
    small and then zoomed up in size, fuzzy edges make it very painful to
    use. Like a mac almost. Guess they are copying that.
    Richard, Jun 8, 2011

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Re: It’s A Multi-Browser World

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 02:03:39 +1200, in message <isnvfr$lf0$>
    Richard wrote:
    > On 7/06/2011 7:00 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> [...] Internet Explorer [...]

    > 9 is shit. 8 is ok.
    >
    > 9 cant even render text without making it look like it was rendered
    > small and then zoomed up in size, fuzzy edges make it very painful to
    > use. Like a mac almost. Guess they are copying that.

    Q. Are your Win 7 display settings set to something other than
    "Smaller - 100% (default)" ?

    (That is, something other than 96dpi?)

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Jun 8, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Re: It’s A Multi-Browser World

    On 9/06/2011 6:39 a.m., Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 02:03:39 +1200, in message<isnvfr$lf0$>
    > Richard wrote:
    >> On 7/06/2011 7:00 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> [...] Internet Explorer [...]

    >> 9 is shit. 8 is ok.
    >>
    >> 9 cant even render text without making it look like it was rendered
    >> small and then zoomed up in size, fuzzy edges make it very painful to
    >> use. Like a mac almost. Guess they are copying that.

    > Q. Are your Win 7 display settings set to something other than
    > "Smaller - 100% (default)" ?
    >
    > (That is, something other than 96dpi?)

    No, its on standard and cleartype etc is off everywhere. Firefox can
    deliver nice non antialiased or scaled fonts with crisp sharp edges. IE
    8 can do it, IE 9 fails at it. Many threads everywhere about it being a
    cockup by MS. Something to do with their fancy new hardware rendering
    engine etc.
    Richard, Jun 9, 2011
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Re: It’s A Multi-Browser World

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 22:58:51 +1200, in message <isq91b$r05$>
    Richard wrote:

    > On 9/06/2011 6:39 a.m., Ralph Fox wrote:
    > > On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 02:03:39 +1200, in message<isnvfr$lf0$>
    > > Richard wrote:

    > >> 9 is shit. 8 is ok.
    > >>
    > >> 9 cant even render text without making it look like it was rendered
    > >> small and then zoomed up in size, fuzzy edges make it very painful to
    > >> use. Like a mac almost. Guess they are copying that.

    > > Q. Are your Win 7 display settings set to something other than
    > > "Smaller - 100% (default)" ?
    > >
    > > (That is, something other than 96dpi?)

    > No, its on standard and cleartype etc is off everywhere. Firefox can
    > deliver nice non antialiased or scaled fonts with crisp sharp edges. IE
    > 8 can do it, IE 9 fails at it. Many threads everywhere about it being a
    > cockup by MS. Something to do with their fancy new hardware rendering
    > engine etc.

    I have seen the problem you describe in parts of some applications,
    when the Win7 display settings were bigger than 100% (more than 96dpi).

    I had speculated that it was doing the rendering as if WPF "relative pixels"
    (1/96 inch) were physical pixels, then zooming to the actual screen resolution.

    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511441.aspx#R>

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Jun 10, 2011
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Re: It’s A Multi-Browser World

    On 10/06/2011 8:02 p.m., Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 22:58:51 +1200, in message<isq91b$r05$>
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> On 9/06/2011 6:39 a.m., Ralph Fox wrote:

    >>> Q. Are your Win 7 display settings set to something other than
    >>> "Smaller - 100% (default)" ?
    >>>
    >>> (That is, something other than 96dpi?)

    >> No, its on standard and cleartype etc is off everywhere. Firefox can
    >> deliver nice non antialiased or scaled fonts with crisp sharp edges. IE
    >> 8 can do it, IE 9 fails at it. Many threads everywhere about it being a
    >> cockup by MS. Something to do with their fancy new hardware rendering
    >> engine etc.

    > I have seen the problem you describe in parts of some applications,
    > when the Win7 display settings were bigger than 100% (more than 96dpi).
    >
    > I had speculated that it was doing the rendering as if WPF "relative pixels"
    > (1/96 inch) were physical pixels, then zooming to the actual screen resolution.
    >
    > <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511441.aspx#R>

    Nah, I really dont see the point in that control since it only has
    options to make things bigger. With the dumbing down of screens I could
    have used it going down to 75% or perhaps 66% when borrowing a computer
    with this abortion of a 1600x900 screen on it.

    Apparantly enabling compatibility mode to disable the GPU rendering will
    solve it. Uninstalling it was easier tho.
    Richard, Jun 10, 2011