Issues with my ipod

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mr_Bond, Oct 26, 2005.

  1. Mr_Bond

    Mr_Bond Guest

    Hi,

    I left NZ for the UK about a year ago, and before I left I purchased an
    ipod mini for the trip. One thing they don't have is a NG as good as
    nz.comp :)

    Last night my ipod mini wouldn't turn on at all, but as it had been a
    few days since I'd used it I thought it might just be needing a charge,
    so gave it a full charge overnight.

    This morning it worked for about 15 minutes fine and then completely
    turned off mid song in my pocket while waiting for the tube (ie not
    roller-skating) and wouldn't turn back on. I put it in my briefcase
    and went to work.

    Once I got to work I took it out of my briefcase to have another go at
    it, and it would not turn on. What was weird though was that the ipod
    was really hot. Was a cool morning, and there was nothing else in my
    briefcase to heat it up.

    Weird. Now being I have no copy of the receipt and am half a world
    away from where I brought it, what are my options? I see them as:
    - Send it back to apple and get charged heaps to get it fixed
    - Send it back to the NZ shop with no receipt and a request to fix it,
    CGA etc with stuff all chance of me ever seeing it again
    - Open it up and see if anything is blatantly out of place
    - Head down to the local apple shop and get a sexy new Nano or more
    likely Ipod 30gig photo.

    I've tried resetting it without luck, and plugging it into my firewire
    and USB ports doesn't bring up anything on the screen. I have all the
    songs on my computer so don't mind losing stuff from it.

    Your thoughts?
    Mr_Bond, Oct 26, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Mr_Bond

    PAM. Guest

    "Mr_Bond" <> wrote in message
    > Weird. Now being I have no copy of the receipt and am half a world
    > away from where I brought it, what are my options? I see them as:
    > - Send it back to apple and get charged heaps to get it fixed
    > - Send it back to the NZ shop with no receipt and a request to fix it,
    > CGA etc with stuff all chance of me ever seeing it again
    > - Open it up and see if anything is blatantly out of place
    > - Head down to the local apple shop and get a sexy new Nano or more
    > likely Ipod 30gig photo.
    > Your thoughts?
    >

    Go get the new iPod and sell your one with receipt on Trade me (as is).

    PAM.
    PAM., Oct 26, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Mr_Bond

    XP Guest

    On 26 Oct 2005 11:13:43 -0700, "Mr_Bond" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I left NZ for the UK about a year ago, and before I left I purchased an
    >ipod mini for the trip. One thing they don't have is a NG as good as
    >nz.comp :)
    >
    >Last night my ipod mini wouldn't turn on at all, but as it had been a
    >few days since I'd used it I thought it might just be needing a charge,
    >so gave it a full charge overnight.
    >
    >This morning it worked for about 15 minutes fine and then completely
    >turned off mid song in my pocket while waiting for the tube (ie not
    >roller-skating) and wouldn't turn back on. I put it in my briefcase
    >and went to work.
    >
    >Once I got to work I took it out of my briefcase to have another go at
    >it, and it would not turn on. What was weird though was that the ipod
    >was really hot. Was a cool morning, and there was nothing else in my
    >briefcase to heat it up.
    >
    >Weird. Now being I have no copy of the receipt and am half a world
    >away from where I brought it, what are my options? I see them as:
    >- Send it back to apple and get charged heaps to get it fixed
    >- Send it back to the NZ shop with no receipt and a request to fix it,
    >CGA etc with stuff all chance of me ever seeing it again
    >- Open it up and see if anything is blatantly out of place
    >- Head down to the local apple shop and get a sexy new Nano or more
    >likely Ipod 30gig photo.
    >
    >I've tried resetting it without luck, and plugging it into my firewire
    >and USB ports doesn't bring up anything on the screen. I have all the
    >songs on my computer so don't mind losing stuff from it.
    >
    >Your thoughts?




    Yes they were recalled because of this, Faulty Batteries..
    XP, Oct 26, 2005
    #3
  4. Mr_Bond

    Hank Guest

    Go back to Apple and see what they'll do to fix it. You will probably
    end up paying something (not sure how much) but i'd guess it would be
    alot cheaper than a new IPod nano. Without a reciept your not going to
    get far with the shop you orginally purchased it from (or any shop).

    Like Wogger the dimwit said, the Ipod Mini's are known to have battery
    issues.
    Hank, Oct 26, 2005
    #4
  5. In article <>,
    says...
    >
    > Like Wogger the dimwit said, the Ipod Mini's are known to have battery
    > issues.
    >


    As did the original ones. There was quite a furore in the States about
    it. Some guys did a street advertising campaign and made a movie about
    it before Apple would talk to anybody seriously, I recall. (the movie is
    on the internet, b.t.w. but I can't recall a url - they were called the
    ~something~ brothers.

    Personally I wouldnt' buy one of those things, with all the problems
    they seem to have, and particularly considering the price. Get a cheap
    clone I reckon; might work better and you don't lose a fscking mint if
    it dies.

    -P.

    A quick google on 'ipod batteries brothers movie' threw up this url:
    http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/


    --
    =========================================
    firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com
    Peter Huebner, Oct 27, 2005
    #5
  6. Mr_Bond

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > Like Wogger the dimwit said, the Ipod Mini's are known to have battery
    > > issues.
    > >

    >
    > As did the original ones. There was quite a furore in the States about
    > it. Some guys did a street advertising campaign and made a movie about
    > it before Apple would talk to anybody seriously, I recall. (the movie is
    > on the internet, b.t.w. but I can't recall a url - they were called the
    > ~something~ brothers.


    It's no different from anything else with a rechargable battery. They
    all die eventually. Cell phones, laptop computers, whatever.

    In theory you can easily get a replacement battery for your phone or
    computer, but my experience is that usually by the time you need it
    they've stopped making them anyway.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Hoult | 174.8263E | /\ here. | ----------O----------
    Bruce Hoult, Oct 27, 2005
    #6
  7. In <> Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Like Wogger the dimwit said, the Ipod Mini's are known to have
    >> battery issues.

    >
    > As did the original ones. There was quite a furore in the States about
    > it. Some guys did a street advertising campaign and made a movie about
    > it before Apple would talk to anybody seriously, I recall. (the movie
    > is on the internet, b.t.w. but I can't recall a url - they were
    > called the ~something~ brothers.
    >
    > Personally I wouldnt' buy one of those things, with all the problems
    > they seem to have, and particularly considering the price. Get a cheap
    > clone I reckon; might work better and you don't lose a fscking mint if
    > it dies.


    That's the thing about the iPods though: they're one of the cheaper
    players available. Anything with 4GB or 6GB of storage like an iPod mini
    has will cost about the same, and sometimes more.

    I also doubt the iPods suffer from any more problems than other players
    do, but if Apple sells ten times more minis than Creative sells Zen
    Micros, even if they have the same percentage of failures you're
    obviously going to hear ten times as many people complaining of problems
    with the iPod.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
    http://roger.geek.nz/
    ________________________________________________________________________
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

    Kryten, from the Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day"
    Roger Johnstone, Oct 27, 2005
    #7
  8. Mr_Bond

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Like Wogger the dimwit said, the Ipod Mini's are known to have battery
    >>issues.
    >>

    >
    >
    > As did the original ones. There was quite a furore in the States about
    > it. Some guys did a street advertising campaign and made a movie about
    > it before Apple would talk to anybody seriously, I recall. (the movie is
    > on the internet, b.t.w. but I can't recall a url - they were called the
    > ~something~ brothers.
    >
    > Personally I wouldnt' buy one of those things, with all the problems
    > they seem to have, and particularly considering the price. Get a cheap
    > clone I reckon; might work better and you don't lose a fscking mint if
    > it dies.


    If you do some research, you will find that iPod at present are one of
    the cheapest players on the market; not only that, but they have a
    superb UI. My partner (who is almost tech clueless) was initially very
    reluctant to change from a Panasonic CD-MP3 player to a 3G 20GB iPod,
    but now they are inseparable. That is about 3 years of trouble free
    iPodding, no battery issues, and excellent sound.
    -=rjh=-, Oct 27, 2005
    #8
  9. Mr_Bond

    Richard Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > If you do some research, you will find that iPod at present are one of
    > the cheapest players on the market; not only that, but they have a
    > superb UI. My partner (who is almost tech clueless) was initially very
    > reluctant to change from a Panasonic CD-MP3 player to a 3G 20GB iPod,
    > but now they are inseparable. That is about 3 years of trouble free
    > iPodding, no battery issues, and excellent sound.


    I hate the UI on the ipod. Its like a touchscreen phone or remote, impossible to
    use without looking at it and focusing on the display to find what you are about
    to do with the controls. Bloody hard to use when driving, where as the iriver
    with a direction pad is a piece of cake assuming I can recall what songs are in
    what folder, and if I cant a glance at the screen will tell me that its 4 items
    down from the one I am on. The old wheel ipod was better IMNSHO
    Richard, Oct 27, 2005
    #9
  10. Mr_Bond

    David Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> If you do some research, you will find that iPod at present are one of
    >> the cheapest players on the market; not only that, but they have a
    >> superb UI. My partner (who is almost tech clueless) was initially very
    >> reluctant to change from a Panasonic CD-MP3 player to a 3G 20GB iPod,
    >> but now they are inseparable. That is about 3 years of trouble free
    >> iPodding, no battery issues, and excellent sound.

    >
    >
    > I hate the UI on the ipod. Its like a touchscreen phone or remote,
    > impossible to use without looking at it and focusing on the display to
    > find what you are about to do with the controls. Bloody hard to use when
    > driving, where as the iriver with a direction pad is a piece of cake
    > assuming I can recall what songs are in what folder, and if I cant a
    > glance at the screen will tell me that its 4 items down from the one I
    > am on. The old wheel ipod was better IMNSHO


    I don't see whats so difficult about it, just use the next/prev track
    buttons, and I also find it hard to believe you would be able to
    remember the location of every song with the <2000 songs the iPod offers
    (my 20GB is almost full at 2200 using LAME VBR, IMHO anything less than
    192 is noticably crap even on headphones)
    David, Oct 27, 2005
    #10
  11. Mr_Bond

    Richard Guest

    David wrote:

    > I don't see whats so difficult about it, just use the next/prev track
    > buttons, and I also find it hard to believe you would be able to
    > remember the location of every song with the <2000 songs the iPod offers
    > (my 20GB is almost full at 2200 using LAME VBR, IMHO anything less than
    > 192 is noticably crap even on headphones)


    There is no tactile feedback when you have moved to the next option.

    And I have a pretty good idea where all the songs are, but of cource I have to
    look occasionally.
    Richard, Oct 28, 2005
    #11
  12. Mr_Bond

    Mr_Bond Guest

    Thanks for all the replies. I did know about issues with batteries
    when I brought it, and had seen the movie, but had figured that it
    wouldn't happen to me because I'm careful with my stuff, read the
    manual etc.

    Conclusion is I've tasked the olds to go through my box of stuff I left
    with them and see if they can find the reciept to send over. Don't
    know what the apple uk will say about repairing a nz ipod, but we'll
    see. All else fails I spose I can send it to apple nz for fixing.
    Mr_Bond, Oct 28, 2005
    #12
  13. Mr_Bond

    Simon Guest

    Apple UK should be fine. We have bought Apple gear in Australia and the
    US, and NZ Apple dealers have been happy to repair/replace it, as long
    as we have the original receipt.
    Simon, Oct 29, 2005
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=

    SNMP Issues in Cisco Routers; Vulnerability Issues in TCP

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Apr 21, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    785
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=
    Apr 21, 2004
  2. candycaw
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,018
    hely0123
    Nov 26, 2007
  3. maysefooters
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,034
    maysefooters
    Dec 29, 2007
  4. maysefooters
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,073
    maysefooters
    Dec 29, 2007
  5. jesicca84
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,547
    jesicca84
    Mar 29, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page