Issues with games (namely Sims 2)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Neogeisha, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Neogeisha

Neogeisha

Okay. This is my first post, and it should be known that I'm not perfectly clear with computers. I understand the basics, but not much more.

I have the sims 2 and all its expansions. I have them install on a desktop PC and up until about a week ago, they worked fine. Then, for some unknown reason. i started having issues.

Basically, when I am in game, I can enter the Create a Sim mode, within the family, but as soon as I accept a sim, the whole system restarts. It just sort of goes black (Like you've chosen restart, only the reaction is INSTANT rather than having to wait a moment), and the load screen for windows pops up. I'd say it was a power surge, but it happens mostly in game (but has occured out of game) and always at the same point. As I said though, it has occured outside of game.

I did a complete format of my system thinking that this would solve it, but its continued with minimal installations on there, and nothing I shouldn't have. My dad, who I consider a computer genius, talked me through changing the divers to ones considered to work with my card and my Pc, but its still happening.

I have an Nvidia GE Force but aside from that I'm not sure what it is. My dad wondered if it was the graphics card playing up, but he had the same computer before me, and its never EVER had any issues. I can't fathom why it would work for two weeks fine then suddenly start acting like this.

I just want to know if you've ever heard of this sort of problem being cause by a graphics card, and if not if the problem has been heard of before. I'd have asked on sims forums but their instant reply you ever get is a case of "You're computer can't handle the games/upgrade your hardware" which isn't helpful and doesn't give me any insight on the problem at hand.

So any information about the problem you know of would be awesome.
    Neogeisha, Feb 2, 2009
    1. Advertising