ISPs

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Sep 18, 2009.

  1. Iconz hasn't been bad to me, but ... lately they seem to be having a lot
    of problems in their hardware dept. First they kept losing their link to
    telecom with the result that all adsl customers were dropped offline and
    that overloaded their authentication server to the point that it would
    at times take me nearly 2 hours to be able to log back on. Not too happy
    about that, because a few times it interrupted *important* online
    activities.
    The latest is packet loss, dns loss, running on a backup line ... which
    again renders my connection useless for hours at a time. Been affected
    some 3 or 4 times now. I am starting to think 'we apologize for any
    inconvenience' on the netstatus page is not good enough.

    Well heck, I sat down and ran some numbers. If I get a homeline, tolls
    and a 10Gb/month connection with Actrix I'll not only not hand money to
    telecom any more, I'll even save ~8 bucks a month AND get cheaper tolls.

    So I wrote Actrix Sales an email, saying that I was considering getting
    homeline, tolls and 10Gb/month adsl. But I want to know how their fault
    notification and handling on the homeline is organized. For instance, if
    someone can't reach me and report a fault with my line to telecom, will
    Actrix hear about it? I also mentioned that I used to have various
    problems with tolls via Ihug in the past: distortion on calls, and
    telecom refusing service.

    Seconds later I got an email back from a sales droid: am I talking about
    an adsl product here? He wants to know so he can forward my questions to
    the right people. Hello? Reading comprehension issues? I fired back a
    reply saying, yes, adsl, thanks. Got an other email from 'the adsl
    people' which didn't answer any questions but merely referred me to the
    0800 number .... yeesh. I'm scratching my head here. If I call, I'll
    probably just get the sales droid again. Why even put email addresses on
    their contact page, if only drongoes get to read it ?!?

    I am so put off, I am reconsidering a move at this point. :-(

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Sep 18, 2009

  2. Peter Huebner

    EMB Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Iconz hasn't been bad to me, but ... lately they seem to be having a lot
    > of problems in their hardware dept. First they kept losing their link to
    > telecom with the result that all adsl customers were dropped offline and
    > that overloaded their authentication server to the point that it would
    > at times take me nearly 2 hours to be able to log back on. Not too happy
    > about that, because a few times it interrupted *important* online
    > activities.
    > The latest is packet loss, dns loss, running on a backup line ... which
    > again renders my connection useless for hours at a time. Been affected
    > some 3 or 4 times now. I am starting to think 'we apologize for any
    > inconvenience' on the netstatus page is not good enough.
    >
    > Well heck, I sat down and ran some numbers. If I get a homeline, tolls
    > and a 10Gb/month connection with Actrix I'll not only not hand money to
    > telecom any more, I'll even save ~8 bucks a month AND get cheaper tolls.

    Seriously, as much as it pains me to give money to Telecom their Total
    Home package is currently better than anything else I can find if you
    only need 10GB of data.

    EMB, Sep 18, 2009

  3. In article <h8v3vp$p85$>, says...

    > Seriously, as much as it pains me to give money to Telecom their Total
    > Home package is currently better than anything else I can find if you
    > only need 10GB of data.

    That's one I hadn't been aware of. Still: $109 from telecom since I
    don't live in an urban centre vs. $98.90 if I understand Actrix's
    website correctly. At the moment I'm paying 106.60 between my telecom
    line and my Iconz connection.

    I'm fairly sure that I'll get better support for the internet from
    Actrix, but I want to be assured about the phone and maintenance issue
    before I commit myself.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Sep 18, 2009
  4. Peter Huebner

    EMB Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <h8v3vp$p85$>, says...
    >> Seriously, as much as it pains me to give money to Telecom their Total
    >> Home package is currently better than anything else I can find if you
    >> only need 10GB of data.
    >>

    > That's one I hadn't been aware of. Still: $109 from telecom since I
    > don't live in an urban centre vs. $98.90 if I understand Actrix's
    > website correctly. At the moment I'm paying 106.60 between my telecom
    > line and my Iconz connection.
    >
    > I'm fairly sure that I'll get better support for the internet from
    > Actrix, but I want to be assured about the phone and maintenance issue
    > before I commit myself.

    Telecom at the moment appear to have a shitload more international
    bandwidth than any of their competitors - I regularly get downloads from
    overseas sites at around 1MB/s (yes that's megaBYTES). And yes I'm
    equally sure it's not a local cache or Akamai server providing it.

    EMB, Sep 18, 2009
  5. Peter Huebner

    EMB Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <h8v3vp$p85$>, says...
    >> Seriously, as much as it pains me to give money to Telecom their Total
    >> Home package is currently better than anything else I can find if you
    >> only need 10GB of data.
    >>

    > That's one I hadn't been aware of. Still: $109 from telecom since I
    > don't live in an urban centre vs. $98.90 if I understand Actrix's
    > website correctly. At the moment I'm paying 106.60 between my telecom
    > line and my Iconz connection.

    To compare apples with apples I see Actrix as:

    Homeline: $45.00
    10GB FS/FS ADSL $59.95
    Total $104.95

    There's not much in it, and the Telecom offering includes unlimited
    national calling.

    EMB, Sep 18, 2009
  6. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > *important* online activities.

    There is no such thing.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 18, 2009
  7. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > I'm fairly sure that I'll get better support for the internet from
    > Actrix, but I want to be assured about the phone and maintenance
    > issue before I commit myself.

    As a user, I recommend Actrix. I have been with them for ever. Even
    during a period when I was with another ISP because work paid I kept my
    connection with them. I've never had the run-around with them, and if
    you do, I recommend emailing one of the big bods.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 18, 2009
  8. Peter Huebner

    Carnations Guest

    On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 18:14:34 +1200, EMB wrote:

    > Telecom at the moment appear to have a shitload more international
    > bandwidth than any of their competitors - I regularly get downloads from
    > overseas sites at around 1MB/s (yes that's megaBYTES).

    That's no surprise. Telecom is one of the primary owners of the Southern Cross Cable.

    Carnations, Sep 19, 2009
  9. Peter Huebner

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-09-18, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>
    >> *important* online activities.
    > >

    > There is no such thing.

    Ha! Dr Bell and the chap he bet to the patent office are coming your way to
    sort your ideas out

    Gordon, Sep 20, 2009
  10. Peter Huebner

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-09-18, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm fairly sure that I'll get better support for the internet from
    >> Actrix, but I want to be assured about the phone and maintenance
    >> issue before I commit myself.
    >>

    > As a user, I recommend Actrix. I have been with them for ever. Even
    > during a period when I was with another ISP because work paid I kept my
    > connection with them. I've never had the run-around with them, and if
    > you do, I recommend emailing one of the big bods.

    I am floored. In my years of reading this ng Actrix has continued to rate
    okay with its posters. Now time is being thrown in the mix. Still Actrix
    power on above the rest.

    So who says that small can not provide a great service?

    Yes, I have not one cent of finanical interest in them

    Gordon, Sep 20, 2009
  11. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2009-09-18, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >> Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'm fairly sure that I'll get better support for the internet from
    >>> Actrix, but I want to be assured about the phone and maintenance
    >>> issue before I commit myself.
    >>>

    >> As a user, I recommend Actrix. I have been with them for ever. Even
    >> during a period when I was with another ISP because work paid I kept
    >> my connection with them. I've never had the run-around with them,
    >> and if you do, I recommend emailing one of the big bods.
    >>

    > I am floored. In my years of reading this ng Actrix has continued to
    > rate okay with its posters. Now time is being thrown in the mix.
    > Still Actrix power on above the rest.
    >
    > So who says that small can not provide a great service?
    >
    > Yes, I have not one cent of finanical interest in them

    I've been with them for a few years now after first going with Xtra, then
    with Orcon. Actrix have been nothing but excellent the whole time (barring a
    'first and only warning' for me calling a c#nt a c#nt in a newsgroup, who
    then complained to them, hence I no longer use their NNTP server...)

    I have no hesitation in recommending them but suggest that it you're a
    usenetter and speak your mind you don't use their NNTP. Their T&C forbid
    using their 'service' to defame or insult (etc.) anyone. I spoke to a
    'droid' (actually I've found them to be clear, concise and not afraid to say
    if they're out of their depth) about it and he told me that, strictly
    speaking, even if I use another NNTP server an 'defame' someone they can
    still boot me. However he told me that they're less likely to get complaints
    if I use a 3rd party NNTP host, although, strictly speaking, I'd still be
    breaching their T&C and they got a complaint that could be proven to cme
    from me then...

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 21, 2009
  12. In article <>,
    says...

    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > >
    > > *important* online activities.
    > >

    > There is no such thing.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Depends, Cliff .... I did my GST yesterday only to find my adsl was no
    longer connected and so I couldn't file it online. Actually, it wasn't
    just me, it was all the broadband users west of Kaikohe apparently, and
    xtra customers just as much as everyone else.

    But that kind of thing can really stuff you up. Funnily enough,
    neighbour's harddrive sucked the kumara the same day and I couldn't get
    on to Ascent's site to order her a new one either.

    Important enough, i.m.o. I find I depend on the broadband just about
    more than the phone these days, certainly more than snail-mail; with a
    very few exceptions.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Sep 23, 2009
  13. In article <h98tnc$l3r$-september.org>,
    says...

    > I've been with them for a few years now after first going with Xtra, then
    > with Orcon. Actrix have been nothing but excellent the whole time (barring a
    > 'first and only warning' for me calling a c#nt a c#nt in a newsgroup, who
    > then complained to them, hence I no longer use their NNTP server...)

    Yeah, I think I get the picture. Still mulling it over here.

    I really hate giving my money to telecom, the management are just such a
    bunch of arseholes. Gods, but I feel sorry for anyone working for them.
    My sympathies certainly lie with Actrix. Heh, I used to connect to them
    via pacnet back in the '80ies before they went commercial.

    But the xtra deal that EMB and Donchano recommended IS very very good,
    actually. We don't even do much tolls, maybe $15 a month, but take that
    $15 into cost-consideration, and full/full speed .... uploads are my big
    bottleneck, if anyone tries to email or upload pics on the 128 up
    connection that I currently have, the whole traffic slows to a crawl.

    <still scratches head>

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Sep 23, 2009
  14. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>> *important* online activities.
    >> >

    >> There is no such thing.

    > Depends, Cliff .... I did my GST yesterday only to find my adsl was no
    > longer connected and so I couldn't file it online. Actually, it wasn't
    > just me, it was all the broadband users west of Kaikohe apparently, and
    > xtra customers just as much as everyone else.
    >
    > But that kind of thing can really stuff you up. Funnily enough,
    > neighbour's harddrive sucked the kumara the same day and I couldn't get
    > on to Ascent's site to order her a new one either.
    >
    > Important enough, i.m.o. I find I depend on the broadband just about
    > more than the phone these days, certainly more than snail-mail; with a
    > very few exceptions.

    Sure, there are important activities that are performed online. I was
    being a little harsh I guess, but being in the business it appals me the
    way that people rely on a fragile service for their important things.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 23, 2009