    have to shift to Xtra if I want to retain my Jetstream connection?

    Worst comes to worst, has *anyone* actually had any good experiences with
    UBS with *any* ISP? If so, please spill the beans.
    Pacific Dragon, Jun 23, 2005

  2. Pacific Dragon

    Chris Hope Guest

    Pacific Dragon wrote:

    > It appears that Orcon are going to kill off their Telecom Jetstream
    > offering and us exisiting Jetstream users will either have to move to
    > their UBS offering or leave.
    >
    > Are there any ISP's (other than Xtra of course) that still resell
    > Jetstream
    > (Non UBS) and will continue to do so after the end of August 2005? Or
    > do I have to shift to Xtra if I want to retain my Jetstream
    > connection?
    >
    > Worst comes to worst, has *anyone* actually had any good experiences
    > with
    > UBS with *any* ISP? If so, please spill the beans.

    I've been using UBS with IHUG since December and it's been great. I'm on
    the 256k unlimited plan (which I don't think is possible to sign up to
    any more). There were a couple of minor outages early in the year but I
    haven't experienced any issues for at least three or four months.

    Chris Hope, Jun 23, 2005

  3. Pacific Dragon

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:27:22 +1200, Pacific Dragon wrote:

    > It appears that Orcon are going to kill off their Telecom Jetstream
    > offering and us exisiting Jetstream users will either have to move to
    > their UBS offering or leave.
    >
    > Are there any ISP's (other than Xtra of course) that still resell
    > Jetstream (Non UBS) and will continue to do so after the end of August
    > 2005? Or do I have to shift to Xtra if I want to retain my Jetstream
    > connection?
    >
    > Worst comes to worst, has *anyone* actually had any good experiences with
    > UBS with *any* ISP? If so, please spill the beans.

    Same thing's happened to me over at ihug. Maybe it's telescum driven?

    Steve
    Steve, Jun 23, 2005
  4. Pacific Dragon

    Richard Guest

    Pacific Dragon wrote:
    > It appears that Orcon are going to kill off their Telecom Jetstream
    > offering and us exisiting Jetstream users will either have to move to their
    > UBS offering or leave.
    >
    > Are there any ISP's (other than Xtra of course) that still resell Jetstream
    > (Non UBS) and will continue to do so after the end of August 2005? Or do I
    > have to shift to Xtra if I want to retain my Jetstream connection?
    >
    > Worst comes to worst, has *anyone* actually had any good experiences with
    > UBS with *any* ISP? If so, please spill the beans.

    None will, as telecom will nolonger offer it for resale via other isps..

    Commerce commsion dont seem to care.
    Richard, Jun 23, 2005
  5. Pacific Dragon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Pacific Dragon wrote:
    > It appears that Orcon are going to kill off their Telecom Jetstream
    > offering and us exisiting Jetstream users will either have to move to
    > their UBS offering or leave.
    >
    > Are there any ISP's (other than Xtra of course) that still resell
    > Jetstream (Non UBS) and will continue to do so after the end of
    > August 2005? Or do I have to shift to Xtra if I want to retain my
    > Jetstream connection?
    >
    > Worst comes to worst, has *anyone* actually had any good experiences
    > with UBS with *any* ISP? If so, please spill the beans.

    Au contraire. I'm seriously considering going back to Xtra and getting off
    this damn UBS shite and back onto Jetstream. The only thing stopping me is
    that would mean the Borg would have re-assimilated me. I abhor
    Telecom/Xtra's manipulation of the market but it's getting to the stage
    where I'm just sick of UBS. I get dropped from games all the time, that's if
    I can actually get a connection good enough to make me want to play long
    enough to get dropped. It's so frustrating. I wrote a note to self that's in
    front of me. "Check Xtra's Jetstream offerings." and I hate myself for it.
    (I still haven't done it). I've given UBS nearly 8 months to get sorted now
    and it still sucks.

    Orcon BTW, not that I think it matters. I think UBS is UBS is UBS. A
    crippled product only ever offered because of legislation and scuppered from
    the start. If I ever got suicidal I think I'd become a walking bomb and walk
    into Telecom head office and take some of the money-grubbing bastards with
    me. I have no problem with a company making a profit but I *do* have a
    problem with a monopoly taking a whole country for all it can. The fucking
    Marcos regime in the Phillipines was a benevolent society in comparison to
    Telecom. They have us over a barrel and don't even have the decency to use
    any lube.

    <Takes a Xanax>

    Sorry about the rant, I've just spent about three hours *trying* to play an
    on-line game. I'm off to watch TV like a good, mindless citizen.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 24, 2005
  6. Pacific Dragon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > Pacific Dragon wrote:
    >
    >> It appears that Orcon are going to kill off their Telecom Jetstream
    >> offering and us exisiting Jetstream users will either have to move to
    >> their UBS offering or leave.
    >>
    >> Are there any ISP's (other than Xtra of course) that still resell
    >> Jetstream
    >> (Non UBS) and will continue to do so after the end of August 2005?
    >> Or do I have to shift to Xtra if I want to retain my Jetstream
    >> connection?
    >>
    >> Worst comes to worst, has *anyone* actually had any good experiences
    >> with
    >> UBS with *any* ISP? If so, please spill the beans.

    > I've been using UBS with IHUG since December and it's been great. I'm
    > on the 256k unlimited plan (which I don't think is possible to sign
    > up to any more). There were a couple of minor outages early in the
    > year but I haven't experienced any issues for at least three or four
    > months.

    So, do you use the connection for any latency-dependant applications such as
    on-line gaming, VoIP etc.? If I was just browsing or just downloading my UBS
    connection could be considered satisfactory.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 24, 2005
  7. Pacific Dragon

    Chris Hope Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >> Pacific Dragon wrote:
    >>
    >>> It appears that Orcon are going to kill off their Telecom Jetstream
    >>> offering and us exisiting Jetstream users will either have to move
    >>> to their UBS offering or leave.
    >>>
    >>> Are there any ISP's (other than Xtra of course) that still resell
    >>> Jetstream
    >>> (Non UBS) and will continue to do so after the end of August 2005?
    >>> Or do I have to shift to Xtra if I want to retain my Jetstream
    >>> connection?
    >>>
    >>> Worst comes to worst, has *anyone* actually had any good experiences
    >>> with
    >>> UBS with *any* ISP? If so, please spill the beans.

    >> I've been using UBS with IHUG since December and it's been great. I'm
    >> on the 256k unlimited plan (which I don't think is possible to sign
    >> up to any more). There were a couple of minor outages early in the
    >> year but I haven't experienced any issues for at least three or four
    >> months.

    > So, do you use the connection for any latency-dependant applications
    > such as on-line gaming, VoIP etc.? If I was just browsing or just
    > downloading my UBS connection could be considered satisfactory.

    You have a point there. I don't play online games or use it for anything
    like VoIP. I've only heard bad things about using UBS for that.

    Chris Hope, Jun 24, 2005
  8. Pacific Dragon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Chris Hope wrote:
    >>> I've been using UBS with IHUG since December and it's been great.
    >>> I'm on the 256k unlimited plan (which I don't think is possible to
    >>> sign up to any more). There were a couple of minor outages early in
    >>> the year but I haven't experienced any issues for at least three or
    >>> four months.

    >> So, do you use the connection for any latency-dependant applications
    >> such as on-line gaming, VoIP etc.? If I was just browsing or just
    >> downloading my UBS connection could be considered satisfactory.

    > You have a point there. I don't play online games or use it for
    > anything like VoIP.

    Thought so.

    > I've only heard bad things about using UBS for
    > that.

    Believe them.

    If I didn't need relatively low-latency then UBS would be fine. Then again,
    so would Woosh. Both suffer from latency problems. Woosh because of the
    technology limitations, UBS because that's how Telecom want it to be.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 24, 2005
  9. Pacific Dragon

    Chris Hope Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>
    >>> So, do you use the connection for any latency-dependant applications
    >>> such as on-line gaming, VoIP etc.? If I was just browsing or just
    >>> downloading my UBS connection could be considered satisfactory.

    >> You have a point there. I don't play online games or use it for
    >> anything like VoIP.

    > Thought so.
    >
    >> I've only heard bad things about using UBS for
    >> that.

    > Believe them.
    >
    > If I didn't need relatively low-latency then UBS would be fine. Then
    > again, so would Woosh. Both suffer from latency problems. Woosh
    > because of the technology limitations, UBS because that's how Telecom
    > want it to be. --

    I used Woosh for about 12 months, just after they rebranded the service
    as Woosh. I found it to be pretty crappy and it dropped out frequently.
    Although it's fairly expensive, I found mobile jetstream to be much
    more reliable than Woosh - I used it while on "holiday" in the
    Coromandel about three months ago.

    Chris Hope, Jun 24, 2005
  10. Pacific Dragon

    Adam Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:51:09 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >Sorry about the rant, I've just spent about three hours *trying* to play an
    >on-line game. I'm off to watch TV like a good, mindless citizen.

    I'm with Maxnet - and it certainly doesn't seem as bad as Orcon. For
    online games, (WolfET etc.) my ping has doubled but it's remained
    playable. Absolutely no improvement on my old (Maxnet) Jetstream
    connection.

    Weird thing is, that I connect most often to the Orcon WolfET server
    (and hear lots of *other* people complaining about lag). Is it
    possible that a server provided by Orcon is actually *slower* for
    Orcon users? From what I've heard about Orcon here, anything's
    possible!

    Adam.
    Adam, Jun 24, 2005
  11. Pacific Dragon

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:38:42 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

    > I've been using UBS with IHUG since December and it's been great. I'm on
    > the 256k unlimited plan (which I don't think is possible to sign up to
    > any more). There were a couple of minor outages early in the year but I
    > haven't experienced any issues for at least three or four months.

    Hmmm...

    Can't call that a high speed broadband connection to the Internet tho' -
    'coz it's not!

    It's little better than dialup.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Jun 24, 2005
  12. Pacific Dragon

    Chris Hope Guest

    Bling-Bling wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:38:42 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> I've been using UBS with IHUG since December and it's been great. I'm
    >> on the 256k unlimited plan (which I don't think is possible to sign
    >> up to any more). There were a couple of minor outages early in the
    >> year but I haven't experienced any issues for at least three or four
    >> months.

    > Hmmm...
    >
    > Can't call that a high speed broadband connection to the Internet tho'
    > - 'coz it's not!

    Did you hear me call it that?

    > It's little better than dialup.

    It's a *lot* better than dialup.

    Chris Hope, Jun 24, 2005
  13. Pacific Dragon

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:22:54 +1200, Bling-Bling
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:38:42 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> I've been using UBS with IHUG since December and it's been great. I'm on
    >> the 256k unlimited plan (which I don't think is possible to sign up to
    >> any more). There were a couple of minor outages early in the year but I
    >> haven't experienced any issues for at least three or four months.

    >Hmmm...
    >
    >Can't call that a high speed broadband connection to the Internet tho' -
    >'coz it's not!

    Spelling error Bro "tho'" and "'coz" are not words.
    Bret, Jun 24, 2005
  14. Pacific Dragon

    Chris Hope Guest

    Bret wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:22:54 +1200, Bling-Bling
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:38:42 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been using UBS with IHUG since December and it's been great.
    >>> I'm on the 256k unlimited plan (which I don't think is possible to
    >>> sign up to any more). There were a couple of minor outages early in
    >>> the year but I haven't experienced any issues for at least three or
    >>> four months.

    >>Hmmm...
    >>
    >>Can't call that a high speed broadband connection to the Internet tho'
    >>- 'coz it's not!
    >>

    > Spelling error Bro "tho'" and "'coz" are not words.

    And 'Bro' is?

    Chris Hope, Jun 24, 2005
  15. Pacific Dragon

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:57:33 +1200, Chris Hope
    <> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:22:54 +1200, Bling-Bling
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Hmmm...
    >>>
    >>>Can't call that a high speed broadband connection to the Internet tho'
    >>>- 'coz it's not!
    >>>

    >> Spelling error Bro "tho'" and "'coz" are not words.

    >And 'Bro' is?

    I'm allowed, I don't claim to be the perfect example of spelling and
    grammar, this goes back a ways Chris.
    I will not be available for any other spelling correction duties.
    Bret, Jun 25, 2005
  16. Pacific Dragon

    Chris Hope Guest

    Bret wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:57:33 +1200, Chris Hope
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Bret wrote:

    >>> Spelling error Bro "tho'" and "'coz" are not words.

    >>And 'Bro' is?

    > I'm allowed, I don't claim to be the perfect example of spelling and
    > grammar, this goes back a ways Chris.
    > I will not be available for any other spelling correction duties.

    So why correct someone else's :)

    Chris Hope, Jun 25, 2005
  17. Pacific Dragon

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 11:14:02 +1200, Chris Hope
    <> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:57:33 +1200, Chris Hope
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>And 'Bro' is?

    >> I'm allowed, I don't claim to be the perfect example of spelling and
    >> grammar, this goes back a ways Chris.
    >> I will not be available for any other spelling correction duties.

    >So why correct someone else's :)

    It was the question mark thing "again" that made me want to fulfill a
    promise I made to Lennier to proof all his posts.
    Don't worry I'll probably get bored soon enough :)
    Bret, Jun 25, 2005
  18. Pacific Dragon

    Chris Hope Guest

    Bret wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 11:14:02 +1200, Chris Hope
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Bret wrote:

    >>> I'm allowed, I don't claim to be the perfect example of spelling and
    >>> grammar, this goes back a ways Chris.
    >>> I will not be available for any other spelling correction duties.

    >>So why correct someone else's :)

    > It was the question mark thing "again" that made me want to fulfill a
    > promise I made to Lennier to proof all his posts.
    > Don't worry I'll probably get bored soon enough :)

    Fair enough :)

    Chris Hope, Jun 25, 2005
  19. Pacific Dragon

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 11:25:21 +1200, Chris Hope
    <> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 11:14:02 +1200, Chris Hope
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>So why correct someone else's :)

    >> It was the question mark thing "again" that made me want to fulfill a
    >> promise I made to Lennier to proof all his posts.
    >> Don't worry I'll probably get bored soon enough :)

    >Fair enough :)

    Considering the volume he generates I might be finished sooner rather
    than later :)
    Bret, Jun 25, 2005
  20. Pacific Dragon

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:30:48 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

    >>> I've been using UBS with IHUG since December and it's been great. I'm
    >>> on the 256k unlimited plan (which I don't think is possible to sign
    >>> up to any more). There were a couple of minor outages early in the
    >>> year but I haven't experienced any issues for at least three or four
    >>> months.

    >> Hmmm...
    >>
    >> Can't call that a high speed broadband connection to the Internet tho'
    >> - 'coz it's not!

    > Did you hear me call it that?

    No. Did I say I heard you call it that?

    >> It's little better than dialup.

    > It's a *lot* better than dialup.

    At maximum it is only a four-fold improvement over a standard 56k dialup
    modem.

    Comparing that with true high-speed broadband will reveal the joke of
    calling it "broadband".

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Jun 25, 2005