    waiting for phone registration info so i can signup to jetstart thru either
    orcon or maxnet. man the next guy who gets my flat (and wants to get adsl)
    will be happy when they find out it has already been installed. grr...
    tim, Aug 31, 2003

  2. On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 02:16:47 +1200, tim wrote:

    > hell telecom and vodafone subsidise the hardware for mobile phones so they
    > can hook people onto their montly contracts

    Didn't Vodafone announce they would stop subsidising handsets in October 2002?

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    2: Fraud
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 31, 2003

  3. tim

    David Keane Guest

    Re: ISP's subsidising the filter for an adsl install at the phoneexchange

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 02:16:47 +1200, tim wrote:
    >

    >>hell telecom and vodafone subsidise the hardware for mobile phones so they
    >>can hook people onto their montly contracts

    > Didn't Vodafone announce they would stop subsidising handsets in October 2002?

    When you look at the prices in the catalogues, that sounds BS.
    You get lower prices for going into certain contracts.
    David Keane, Aug 31, 2003
  4. tim

    steve Guest

    tim allegedly said:

    > hmm... why don't ISP's just subsidise the install cost?
    >
    > hell telecom and vodafone subsidise the hardware for mobile phones so they
    > can hook people onto their montly contracts, which btw is illegal in some
    > countries so why are the other ISP's not doing this, is there some kind of
    > agreement or law here or is it simply deemed uneconomical?!

    Telecom get 90% of the money.....so why should the ISP subsidise anything?
    steve, Sep 1, 2003
  5. tim

    T.N.O. Guest

    "tim" wrote
    > hmm... why don't ISP's just subsidise the install cost?

    Because the ISP's make shit all from ADSL now, why would they do it?

    > hell telecom and vodafone subsidise the hardware for mobile phones

    They don't do that so much now.

    T.N.O., Sep 1, 2003
  6. On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 13:47:30 +1200, tim wrote:

    > ok so just the economics of it eh...
    >
    > that $20 tax per month (that is pretty much all it is essentially) to
    > Telecom kind of kills the pleasure of ADSL service eh... i mean its a
    > bit of a hard sell to the customer cause Telecom are taxing it hard ($20
    > month) so the ISP can't really raise the cost any more (already around
    > $30-$35 month) to subsidise the install cause it is too expensive for
    > the consumers already. extra monly fee would need to be in the range of
    > $15-25 a month and a fixed contract for at least a year. ahh nuts...

    An ISP is usually lucky to make $5/month on jetstart, let alone any of the
    other packages.

    Don't forget that the Jetstream 20c/Mb is a 100% Telecom charge for data
    transport over the ADSL network. ISPs don't see any of it.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 1, 2003