    Orcon? Snap ...?
    It seems all ISPs in NZ are universally crap, probably driven by
    Telecom overselling the data capacity.
    Geoffm, Jun 12, 2009

  2. Geoffm

    Richard Guest

    Geoffm wrote:
    > An old chestnut but...
    > I have had enough of Slingshot, and after 6 months of sync problems, I
    > don't believe they can provide a reliable connection to my address.
    > THey make Ihug look good.
    >
    > What is everyone suggestions for reliable ADSL suppliers in Auckland.
    > I don't need a mail server, homepage - just a connection that works,
    > with 20-25GB cap and at least adequate speed.
    >
    > I looked at Xnet - but the revieews and comments on geekzone are
    > ...not good at all.
    > Orcon? Snap ...?
    > It seems all ISPs in NZ are universally crap, probably driven by
    > Telecom overselling the data capacity.

    They all use telecoms gear other then vodafone and orcon, so if you have
    problems maintaining sync to telecoms gear those are your only 2 options.

    After dealing with vodafone over a dsl issue, I would suggest trying
    orcon first and they have some free trial deal going on too. Otherwise
    you may just have to admit defeat with your line and adsl service on it
    and look for something else.
    Richard, Jun 12, 2009

  3. On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:02:00 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Geoffm wrote:
    >> An old chestnut but...
    >> I have had enough of Slingshot, and after 6 months of sync problems, I
    >> don't believe they can provide a reliable connection to my address.
    >> THey make Ihug look good.
    >>
    >> What is everyone suggestions for reliable ADSL suppliers in Auckland.
    >> I don't need a mail server, homepage - just a connection that works,
    >> with 20-25GB cap and at least adequate speed.
    >>
    >> I looked at Xnet - but the revieews and comments on geekzone are
    >> ...not good at all.
    >> Orcon? Snap ...?
    >> It seems all ISPs in NZ are universally crap, probably driven by
    >> Telecom overselling the data capacity.

    >They all use telecoms gear other then vodafone and orcon, so if you have
    >problems maintaining sync to telecoms gear those are your only 2 options.
    >
    >After dealing with vodafone over a dsl issue, I would suggest trying
    >orcon first and they have some free trial deal going on too. Otherwise
    >you may just have to admit defeat with your line and adsl service on it
    >and look for something else.

    Slingshot sets up their ADSL connections by default to have interleave
    off. That gives better ping times for gaming, but makes the
    connection more fragile. Most other ISPs in NZ seem to default to
    interleave on. When I was with Slingshot, they had an option
    somewhere on your account pages after you login that allows you to
    turn interleave on. So try that first and see if it helps.

    The other thing that you need to worry about is your own home wiring.
    I had someone in to look at mine and they found a dodgy connection on
    our extension bells. Fixing that made my connection much more
    reliable - I was getting an average of 5 reconnections per day, and
    now it is down to one reconnection every 2 or 3 days. If you are
    getting 10 or more reconnections a day, then even Slingshot will pass
    that on as a problem for Telecom to be fixing, but if it turns out to
    be your wiring, then you will likely be billed.

    As for ISPs, I am with WorldNet and they are fine. A bit more
    expensive than Slingshot, but no grief, just reasonable service. You
    can even get put through to a network tech when you need to talk to
    one. My ADSL connection is typically 5000-5200 kbit/s as reported by
    my router. Actual download speed is slow during peak times (after
    about 16:30-17:00), sometimes as slow as 60 kbytes/s, but runs at full
    speed late at night and near full speed in the mornings and slightly
    slower for periods in the afternoon. Local traffic in NZ is normally
    full speed at all times, it is just congestion on the overseas traffic
    that slows things at peak times.

    Consumer says that Actrix and Inspire consistently come out as the top
    ISPs for customer service, and when I was with Actrix (a while ago
    now) that was certainly my experience. The sample size they got in
    their survey for WorldNet was too small for them to be included in the
    results, so I do not know where they fit on Consumer's scale.
    Stephen Worthington, Jun 12, 2009
  4. Geoffm

    Richard Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:02:00 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >> After dealing with vodafone over a dsl issue, I would suggest trying
    >> orcon first and they have some free trial deal going on too. Otherwise
    >> you may just have to admit defeat with your line and adsl service on it
    >> and look for something else.

    > Slingshot sets up their ADSL connections by default to have interleave
    > off. That gives better ping times for gaming, but makes the
    > connection more fragile. Most other ISPs in NZ seem to default to
    > interleave on. When I was with Slingshot, they had an option
    > somewhere on your account pages after you login that allows you to
    > turn interleave on. So try that first and see if it helps.

    They all default to off now, vodafone was the last hold out on it, but I
    think they have come around even to letting you turn it off.

    Their refusal at the cost them at least 3 customers I know of about a
    year ago.

    > The other thing that you need to worry about is your own home wiring.
    > I had someone in to look at mine and they found a dodgy connection on
    > our extension bells. Fixing that made my connection much more
    > reliable - I was getting an average of 5 reconnections per day, and
    > now it is down to one reconnection every 2 or 3 days. If you are
    > getting 10 or more reconnections a day, then even Slingshot will pass
    > that on as a problem for Telecom to be fixing, but if it turns out to
    > be your wiring, then you will likely be billed.

    Easier to blame the ISP who have nothing to do with the sync then to
    look in your own house at the router and the wiring as the OP seems to
    be doing.
    Richard, Jun 12, 2009
  5. Geoffm

    EMB Guest

    Geoffm wrote:
    > An old chestnut but...
    > I have had enough of Slingshot, and after 6 months of sync problems, I
    > don't believe they can provide a reliable connection to my address.
    > THey make Ihug look good.
    >
    > What is everyone suggestions for reliable ADSL suppliers in Auckland.
    > I don't need a mail server, homepage - just a connection that works,
    > with 20-25GB cap and at least adequate speed.
    >
    > I looked at Xnet - but the revieews and comments on geekzone are
    > ...not good at all.
    > Orcon? Snap ...?
    > It seems all ISPs in NZ are universally crap, probably driven by
    > Telecom overselling the data capacity.

    As much as it pains me to suggest it, Xtra seems to be the best ISP at
    the moment for speed and reliability. Their helpdesk is still extremely
    sucky, but after the initial setup I shouldn't need to contact them again.
    EMB, Jun 12, 2009
  6. Geoffm

    Geoffm Guest

    On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 02:08:59 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:02:00 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >>> After dealing with vodafone over a dsl issue, I would suggest trying
    >>> orcon first and they have some free trial deal going on too. Otherwise
    >>> you may just have to admit defeat with your line and adsl service on it
    >>> and look for something else.

    >> Slingshot sets up their ADSL connections by default to have interleave
    >> off. That gives better ping times for gaming, but makes the
    >> connection more fragile. Most other ISPs in NZ seem to default to
    >> interleave on. When I was with Slingshot, they had an option
    >> somewhere on your account pages after you login that allows you to
    >> turn interleave on. So try that first and see if it helps.

    >They all default to off now, vodafone was the last hold out on it, but I
    >think they have come around even to letting you turn it off.
    >
    >Their refusal at the cost them at least 3 customers I know of about a
    >year ago.
    >
    >> The other thing that you need to worry about is your own home wiring.
    >> I had someone in to look at mine and they found a dodgy connection on
    >> our extension bells. Fixing that made my connection much more
    >> reliable - I was getting an average of 5 reconnections per day, and
    >> now it is down to one reconnection every 2 or 3 days. If you are
    >> getting 10 or more reconnections a day, then even Slingshot will pass
    >> that on as a problem for Telecom to be fixing, but if it turns out to
    >> be your wiring, then you will likely be billed.

    >Easier to blame the ISP who have nothing to do with the sync then to
    >look in your own house at the router and the wiring as the OP seems to
    >be doing.

    I had 3 roouters, one brand new, one supplied by SLingshot, and one I
    have had for 5 years on 4 ISPs where it has been rock solid. THe
    problems started after I switched to Slingshot from Ihug. Wiring in
    the house was new a few years ago, prfessionally installed with a
    splitter, and as I said, rock solid connection before that with other
    ISPs. Telecom of course say to talk to the ISP, but when the ISP won't
    reply...
    Geoff
    Geoffm, Jun 12, 2009
  7. On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 08:30:58 +1200, EMB <> wrote in

    > Geoffm wrote:
    >> An old chestnut but...
    >> I have had enough of Slingshot, and after 6 months of sync problems, I
    >> don't believe they can provide a reliable connection to my address.
    >> THey make Ihug look good.
    >>
    >> What is everyone suggestions for reliable ADSL suppliers in Auckland.
    >> I don't need a mail server, homepage - just a connection that works,
    >> with 20-25GB cap and at least adequate speed.
    >>
    >> I looked at Xnet - but the revieews and comments on geekzone are
    >> ...not good at all.
    >> Orcon? Snap ...?
    >> It seems all ISPs in NZ are universally crap, probably driven by
    >> Telecom overselling the data capacity.

    > As much as it pains me to suggest it, Xtra seems to be the best ISP at
    > the moment for speed and reliability. Their helpdesk is still extremely
    > sucky, but after the initial setup I shouldn't need to contact them again.

    Phamous Last Words

    --
    - Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 12, 2009
  8. Geoffm

    EMB Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    > Phamous Last Words

    I just use the Telecom corporate helpdesk number we have at work -
    instant response and no diversion to Manila..
    EMB, Jun 12, 2009
  9. Geoffm

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-06-12, Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

    > Consumer says that Actrix and Inspire consistently come out as the top
    > ISPs for customer service, and when I was with Actrix (a while ago
    > now) that was certainly my experience.

    Actrix has also scored very well in this ng over many years. No doubt they
    continue to make a good return on their investment.

    BTW, people Telecom is now retail and wholesale. Maybe they are in the same
    bed but what they do is different. Retail is about customer service and
    wholesale is about shifting/selling heaps of stuff which the retail folks
    bundle up.
    Gordon, Jun 13, 2009
  10. Geoffm

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-06-12, EMB <> wrote:
    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>
    >> Phamous Last Words
    >>

    > I just use the Telecom corporate helpdesk number we have at work -
    > instant response and no diversion to Manila..

    Dare you, post it here.

    See it it who you know people. Still EMB needs to use the helpdesk. ;-)
    Gordon, Jun 13, 2009
  11. Geoffm

    EMB Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2009-06-12, EMB <> wrote:
    >> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>> Phamous Last Words
    >>>

    >> I just use the Telecom corporate helpdesk number we have at work -
    >> instant response and no diversion to Manila..

    > Dare you, post it here.
    >
    > See it it who you know people. Still EMB needs to use the helpdesk. ;-)

    The only reason I needed the helpdesk was to sort out Telecom managing
    to cancel the churn order for no apparent reason. Otherwise the service
    has been faultless to date (about a week).
    EMB, Jun 13, 2009
  12. In article <>, Geoffm <> wrote:
    >An old chestnut but...
    >I have had enough of Slingshot, and after 6 months of sync problems, I
    >don't believe they can provide a reliable connection to my address.
    >THey make Ihug look good.
    >
    >What is everyone suggestions for reliable ADSL suppliers in Auckland.
    >I don't need a mail server, homepage - just a connection that works,
    >with 20-25GB cap and at least adequate speed.
    >
    >I looked at Xnet - but the revieews and comments on geekzone are
    >....not good at all.
    >Orcon? Snap ...?
    >It seems all ISPs in NZ are universally crap, probably driven by
    >Telecom overselling the data capacity.

    Checked out actrix ? I only use dial up, but they have been uniformly
    helpful whenever I've dealt with them. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 15, 2009
  13. Geoffm

    Geoffm Guest

    A follow up - I emailed Slingshot with a "final notice of dispute"
    quoting the relevant sections of the CGA, and some bits from the logs.
    No answer, so a few days later, I called into their office with a
    printed copy, and the modem in the box, and got them to sign receipt
    of it. That certainly shook things up and I got a phone call from them
    the next day - sorry - to little to late.
    To cut a long story short - i have now moved the ADSL to Packing Shed
    (www.ps.gen.nz) since my parents have been very happy with them (they
    have wireless).
    Disconnection problems appear solved, and it is much, much faster.
    Should have done it months ago.
    Tolls are with Actrix as their land-mobile calls are 32c/min whcih
    seems to be 10c/min less than everyoen else.
    Geoff
    Geoffm, Jun 18, 2009