ISPs and VOIP tantamount to FRAUD?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Bob Cooper, Oct 29, 2004.

  1. Bob Cooper

    Bob Cooper Guest

    Why should telephone service bought from your ISP be any more
    expensive
    than a one time charge for fancy microphone or inexpensive camcorder?
    Otherwise isn't the customer being billing twice for the same
    service(VOip)?

    Hasn't Voice transmission over the Internet been built in to the
    Internet and has been since its very early days (ARPANET)? Isn't this
    the reason the phone companies have been buying up major ISP's (and
    sometimes vice versa)? They are aware that if they don't, someday
    soon
    there business might go the way of the Encyclopedia - on a couple of
    CDs. John Doe customer can still use a directory service, which could
    be kept on a CD but fiber optic /tcp-ip packets have millions of times
    the
    capacity of copper wire and that seems to be increasing every year as
    the technology for splitting bandwidth improves every year.

    Haven't phone company lobbyists been wining and dining the FCC and
    Congress to give them some legal/regulatory cover so the masses won't
    see their
    business is more like the Emperor's New Clothes.... a business that
    collects at least $50 a month from every household could be reduced to
    collecting $15 a year for an updated Directory CD.

    Could some one report here on the capability of the various versions
    of the freebie software Microsoft calls Netmeeting?

    cheers
    Bob

    cheers
    Bob
    Bob Cooper, Oct 29, 2004

  2. Bob Cooper

    DevilsPGD Guest

    Bob Cooper wrote:
    > Why should telephone service bought from your ISP be any more
    > expensive
    > than a one time charge for fancy microphone or inexpensive camcorder?
    > Otherwise isn't the customer being billing twice for the same
    > service(VOip)?
    >
    > Hasn't Voice transmission over the Internet been built in to the
    > Internet and has been since its very early days (ARPANET)?

    Sure. Go buy a microphone and speakers/headset, plug it in and start
    talking. "Can you hear me now?" -- Well, can WHO hear you?

    You haven't called anyone yet. Hmm... Type the phone number into
    Windows Calculator?

    There is a lot more to VoIP then just a microphone and speakers, you
    need software to encode and compress the data. Next you need to
    transmit it (this is what your ISP already provides you)

    So, now what -- Transmit the data to where? You need something on the
    other end. If it's another PC, and you're just looking to make a PC to
    PC call, then I'd suggest you check out Skype, FWD, or any number of
    other free solutions.

    This isn't what most people need though, most people need to interface
    with the PSTN. This takes hardware and bandwidth, which is what you're
    paying for. In addition, they need customer service and technical
    support staff able to handle with the idiots of the world, the folks
    that truly can't grasp simple concepts like picking up the phone and
    dialing the number they want to call.

    --
    Do not be redundant; do not use more words than necessary;
    it's highly superfluous.
    DevilsPGD, Oct 29, 2004

  3. Bob Cooper

    Bob Cooper Guest

    Start Netmeeting 2.11 or 3.01. Click the Call Menu then New.
    The Place-A-Call window opens.
    Then (3.01 version) click the Telephone icon.
    In the To textbox enter the IP address you want to call.
    If the computer at that address has Netmeeting, an "Incoming Call"
    window appears and usually the sound card makes a ringing sound. If
    the other party accepts it then you may converse.

    Not complicated at all unless you do not know your address. Thats not
    difficult either, ipconfig /all or winipcfg /all or similar will give
    anyone their IP whether its static or dynamic.

    If you have netmeeting and know your IP address then try it with a
    friend.

    Bob Cooper, Oct 30, 2004
  4. Bob Cooper

    DevilsPGD Guest

    Bob Cooper wrote:
    > Start Netmeeting 2.11 or 3.01. Click the Call Menu then New.
    > The Place-A-Call window opens.
    > Then (3.01 version) click the Telephone icon.
    > In the To textbox enter the IP address you want to call.
    > If the computer at that address has Netmeeting, an "Incoming Call"
    > window appears and usually the sound card makes a ringing sound. If
    > the other party accepts it then you may converse.
    >
    > Not complicated at all unless you do not know your address. Thats not
    > difficult either, ipconfig /all or winipcfg /all or similar will give
    > anyone their IP whether its static or dynamic.
    >
    > If you have netmeeting and know your IP address then try it with a
    > friend.

    Sure. If you're bothered to read my message, you'd have seen that I
    covered the fact that PC to PC calling is free:

    >> So, now what -- Transmit the data to where? You need something on
    >> the other end. If it's another PC, and you're just looking to
    >> make a PC to PC call, then I'd suggest you check out Skype,
    >> FWD, or any number of other free solutions.

    Skype and FWD both overcome the fact that most home users have dynamic
    IPs, so Netmeeting type solutions aren't useful if you need to call
    someone without emailing or messaging them first to find out their
    current IP.

    The VoIP solutions that ISPs are selling is a lot more. I covered that
    as well:

    >> This isn't what most people need though, most people need to
    >> interface with the PSTN. This takes hardware and bandwidth,
    >> which is what you're paying for.

    Let me know if you missed any other paragraphs I already covered.

    --
    Sticks and stones may break my bones, but improperly spelled insults
    merely amuse me.
    DevilsPGD, Oct 30, 2004
  5. Bob Cooper

    Hank Karl Guest

    On 29 Oct 2004 18:37:20 -0700, (Bob Cooper) wrote:

    >Start Netmeeting 2.11 or 3.01. Click the Call Menu then New.
    >The Place-A-Call window opens.
    >Then (3.01 version) click the Telephone icon.
    >In the To textbox enter the IP address you want to call.
    >If the computer at that address has Netmeeting, an "Incoming Call"
    >window appears and usually the sound card makes a ringing sound. If
    >the other party accepts it then you may converse.
    >
    >Not complicated at all unless you do not know your address. Thats not
    >difficult either, ipconfig /all or winipcfg /all or similar will give
    >anyone their IP whether its static or dynamic.
    >
    >If you have netmeeting and know your IP address then try it with a
    >friend.

    Windows Messenger and (I think) AIM can do voice and video
    conversations.

    Hank Karl, Oct 30, 2004
  6. Bob Cooper

    Pepperoni Guest

    "Hank Karl" <> wrote in message

    > Windows Messenger and (I think) AIM can do voice and video
    > conversations.

    Yahoo has excellent voice and video capability.
    Pepperoni, Oct 30, 2004
  7. Bob Cooper

    BlueRinse Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 01:12:07 -0600, DevilsPGD wrote:

    > call
    > someone without emailing or messaging them first to find out their current
    > IP.

    Isn't dyndns.org still free? Some NAT routers update DDNS automatically.
    BlueRinse, Nov 1, 2004