    http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/community/survey_results.asp

    I wonder how much of the Paradise / Telstraclear speed came from it's cable
    users rather than an ADSL connection through Telecom.

    Craig Shore, Aug 20, 2005

  2. Craig Shore <> wrote:

    >Tradme did a survey on it's users about their ISP, and measured the connection
    >speed. 11,181 people took part between 11th of July to the 17th of July.

    Calling it a survey was a bit rich. Trade Me is as skilled at doing
    surveys as AC Nielson is at doing onloine auctions. Participants
    weren't randomly chosen, no margin of error was calculated, and the
    questions about support, value-for-money and the like were poorly
    worded -- and really amounted to shared ignorance. How can you compare
    your ISP to 15 others that you haven't even tried?

    Steve Marshall, Aug 21, 2005

  3. Craig Shore

    Dorado Guest

    Steve Marshall wrote:
    > Craig Shore <> wrote:
    >
    >> Tradme did a survey on it's users about their ISP, and measured the
    >> connection speed. 11,181 people took part between 11th of July to
    >> the 17th of July.

    > Calling it a survey was a bit rich. Trade Me is as skilled at doing
    > surveys as AC Nielson is at doing onloine auctions. Participants
    > weren't randomly chosen, no margin of error was calculated, and the
    > questions about support, value-for-money and the like were poorly
    > worded -- and really amounted to shared ignorance. How can you compare
    > your ISP to 15 others that you haven't even tried?

    Do you work for one of the poorly rated ISPs?

    Dorado, Aug 21, 2005
  4. "Dorado" wrote:

    >> Calling it a survey was a bit rich. Trade Me is as skilled at doing
    >> surveys as AC Nielson is at doing onloine auctions. Participants
    >> weren't randomly chosen, no margin of error was calculated, and the
    >> questions about support, value-for-money and the like were poorly
    >> worded -- and really amounted to shared ignorance. How can you compare
    >> your ISP to 15 others that you haven't even tried?

    >Do you work for one of the poorly rated ISPs?

    No.

    Do you have any valid criticisms of my post?

    Steve Marshall, Aug 21, 2005
  5. Craig Shore

    Dorado Guest

    Steve Marshall wrote:
    > "Dorado" wrote:
    >
    >>> Calling it a survey was a bit rich. Trade Me is as skilled at doing
    >>> surveys as AC Nielson is at doing onloine auctions. Participants
    >>> weren't randomly chosen, no margin of error was calculated, and the
    >>> questions about support, value-for-money and the like were poorly
    >>> worded -- and really amounted to shared ignorance. How can you
    >>> compare your ISP to 15 others that you haven't even tried?

    >> Do you work for one of the poorly rated ISPs?

    > No.
    >
    > Do you have any valid criticisms of my post?

    Well no criticisms really.

    Its just that my general opinion is, no matter how a survey is worded, or if
    they have a margin of error or not, results that come out on the bottom of a
    list will always be worse than the ones on the top. Sure they relative
    positions might not be very accurate but isn't that what a survey is anyway?
    just a rough statistic?

    Its just that your reply above sounded as if it came from some guys working
    for a shitty ISP who didn't want people to have a second look at those
    results. That's all.

    Dorado, Aug 21, 2005
  6. Craig Shore

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:40:20 +1200, "Dorado" <>
    wrote:

    >Steve Marshall wrote:

    >>> Do you work for one of the poorly rated ISPs?

    >> No.
    >>
    >> Do you have any valid criticisms of my post?

    >Well no criticisms really.
    >
    >Its just that my general opinion is, no matter how a survey is worded, or if
    >they have a margin of error or not, results that come out on the bottom of a
    >list will always be worse than the ones on the top. Sure they relative
    >positions might not be very accurate but isn't that what a survey is anyway?
    >just a rough statistic?
    >
    >Its just that your reply above sounded as if it came from some guys working
    >for a shitty ISP who didn't want people to have a second look at those
    >results. That's all.

    Survey is the wrong term, questionnaire, or straw poll perhaps.

    Bret, Aug 21, 2005
  7. Craig Shore

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:40:20 +1200, "Dorado" <>
    spoke these fine words:

    >Steve Marshall wrote:

    >>> Do you work for one of the poorly rated ISPs?

    >> No.
    >>
    >> Do you have any valid criticisms of my post?

    >Well no criticisms really.
    >
    >Its just that my general opinion is, no matter how a survey is worded, or if
    >they have a margin of error or not, results that come out on the bottom of a
    >list will always be worse than the ones on the top.

    Not true. For instance, if everyone loved their ISP, the one with the
    most subscribers would win. This wouldn't actually be a reflection of
    how good or bad any ISP was.

    Let's take another extreme example. Say Xtra had 500,000 subscribers,
    and they all rated them 8/10. Yet HOG internet only had 200, but they
    all rated them 9/10. Which would be the better ISP?

    Also, by not taking a sample statistically similar to the population
    you cannot make accurate ascertions. ie, this had self-selecting
    respondents, therefore those at either end (that love their ISP or
    hate their ISP) are going to be overly represented. Also (for
    instance) those that are more familiar with the Internet are less
    likely to respond, and maybe those on a slower (or faster?) connection
    are less likely to respond, again, resulting in over-representation of
    a certain set of users.

    Not to mention that the wording of several of the questions was asking
    about perceptions - "do you get value for money". People generally
    dislike Xtra, for instance, so will give them a worse rating. However,
    people are going to always score their own ISP higher. If they didn't
    think they were comparatively getting value for money, why are they
    still with them?

    Even the speed test, which you would ordinarily expect to be the most
    objective part of it, was flawed. For instance, many people probably
    answered the questionnaire at work, but were answering in terms of
    their home connection. And it was also only testing one protocol, and
    the path from the participant's PC to the TradeMe website - is
    downloading a larger file from one place really an accurate test of
    the performance of an ISP, or even the performance whilst simply
    browsing? Firstly, there was no measurement of lag (which would have a
    far greater impact on browsing and things like online games and
    Skype), and secondly, there was no consideration of the different
    "distances" different ISPs were from TradeMe's site.

    Therefore, you really cannot make any conclusions based on the
    calling it a survey.

    Oh, and I, too, do not work for an ISP.

    H.O.G, Aug 21, 2005