    about to jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?

    Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon
    like these days, anybody happy with their service?
    Squiggle, Jun 28, 2009

  2. On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:16:12 +1200, Squiggle <>
    wrote:

    >Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and
    >now they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm
    >about to jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?
    >
    >Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon
    >like these days, anybody happy with their service?

    Orcon may be the ONLY isp which doesn't log TVNZ content downloads
    against any account caps which may otherwise apply. Could be a big
    plus depending on how you use your internet.
    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Jun 28, 2009

  3. Squiggle

    greg Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and
    > now they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm
    > about to jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?
    >
    > Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon
    > like these days, anybody happy with their service?

    Can't recommend any ISP, basically it's a choice of who you would like
    to be shafted by.

    Be prepared for long wait times on hold, support staffs first language
    will not be english, and their skill level will be limited to reading
    from a script.

    Any service that fails will then be called a "free service and no
    performance level promised in any way". Poor download speeds (Telecoms
    fault but most people in NZ don't have a choice), small data caps.

    Basically all the ISP's are crap, if Xnet aren't doing anything about
    their news server, file a complaint with the TDR, that usually gets them
    moving.

    Take your pick :( they are all different flavors of a shit sandwich.
    greg, Jun 28, 2009
  4. Squiggle

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    > Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and now
    > they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm about to
    > jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?
    >
    > Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon like
    > these days, anybody happy with their service?

    Call me radical but I've had few reasons to moan about Xtra of late.
    Jack Spratt, Jun 28, 2009
  5. On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:38:17 +1200, greg <> wrote:

    >Squiggle wrote:
    >> Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and
    >> now they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm
    >> about to jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?
    >>
    >> Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon
    >> like these days, anybody happy with their service?

    >Can't recommend any ISP, basically it's a choice of who you would like
    >to be shafted by.
    >
    >Be prepared for long wait times on hold, support staffs first language
    >will not be english, and their skill level will be limited to reading
    >from a script.
    >
    >Any service that fails will then be called a "free service and no
    >performance level promised in any way". Poor download speeds (Telecoms
    >fault but most people in NZ don't have a choice), small data caps.
    >
    >Basically all the ISP's are crap, if Xnet aren't doing anything about
    >their news server, file a complaint with the TDR, that usually gets them
    >moving.
    >
    >Take your pick :( they are all different flavors of a shit sandwich.

    You have obviously been picking bad ISPs - good ones do exist. Actrix
    and Inspire have consistently topped Consumers' list of ISPs every
    year for a long time. My experience with Actrix is a while ago now,
    but they were totally excellent.

    I am currently with WorldNet. They seem to be Korean, but on the two
    occasions I have had to call them they were helpful and knew the right
    answers. The frontline people do have an accent, but they have
    excellent English. Before I signed up with them, I asked to talk to
    one of their technical people to get some very specific answers about
    how their network operated. No problem - they put me straight through
    to someone who was able to answer everything I asked (who happened to
    have a very kiwi accent). The advantage of WorldNet for me is that I
    have a full speed / full speed connection and as much or as little
    volume as I need each month - no cap. I just pay $10 per GiByte,
    which is about as cheap as it gets in NZ except for the package deals.
    Stephen Worthington, Jun 28, 2009
  6. Squiggle

    Mike Dee Guest

    Squiggle wrote:

    > Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and now
    > they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm about to
    > jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?
    >
    > Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon like
    > these days, anybody happy with their service?

    If most of the ISPs available give an up/down so-so sort of service and
    are dropping Usenet faster than than you can say "lets spend more money
    and give our customers a great deal". Try one (or more) of the free (text
    only) news servers out there, without needing to "jump ship".

    news.solani.org
    news.eternal-september.org
    news.albasani.net
    nntp.aioe.org

    Spring to mind, there are others... but if you require binaries, then
    you are probably better off getting another ISP which (still) provides
    binary newsgroups, or pay for an independent one that you can use along
    with your current ISP... Giganews for example has long retention of
    binaries and is currently running a free trial... (haven't tried the free
    trial so don't know how it goes, but if you're feeling adventurous...)
    <http://www.giganews.com/?gclid=CMHv4cbjrJsCFUpApAodYmRxIw>

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Jun 28, 2009
  7. Squiggle

    Mike Dee Guest

    Mike Dee wrote:

    > Giganews for example has long retention of binaries and is
    > currently running a free trial... (haven't tried the free trial so don't
    > know how it goes, but if you're feeling adventurous...)
    > <http://www.giganews.com/?gclid=CMHv4cbjrJsCFUpApAodYmRxIw>

    Oops. The above is a Google referral link.

    Rather than they get any $$$$$$ for clicking it:

    <http://www.giganews.com/>

    Alone is sufficient. The free trial button is on that direct home page
    link. Sorry for posting Google spam, it wasn't intentional.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Jun 28, 2009
  8. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Mike Dee wrote:
    > Squiggle wrote:
    >
    >> Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and now
    >> they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm about to
    >> jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?
    >>
    >> Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon like
    >> these days, anybody happy with their service?

    > If most of the ISPs available give an up/down so-so sort of service and
    > are dropping Usenet faster than than you can say "lets spend more money
    > and give our customers a great deal". Try one (or more) of the free (text
    > only) news servers out there, without needing to "jump ship".
    >
    > news.solani.org
    > news.eternal-september.org
    > news.albasani.net
    > nntp.aioe.org
    >
    > Spring to mind, there are others... but if you require binaries, then
    > you are probably better off getting another ISP which (still) provides
    > binary newsgroups, or pay for an independent one that you can use along
    > with your current ISP... Giganews for example has long retention of
    > binaries and is currently running a free trial... (haven't tried the free
    > trial so don't know how it goes, but if you're feeling adventurous...)
    > <http://www.giganews.com/?gclid=CMHv4cbjrJsCFUpApAodYmRxIw>

    Thanks for the suggestion, i'm already using eternal-september, but the
    newsgroups are just one of many problems. Having to wait ten minutes
    while a 6 minute youtube clip loads is more of an issue.
    Squiggle, Jun 28, 2009
  9. Squiggle

    Mike Dee Guest

    Squiggle wrote:

    > Mike Dee wrote:
    >> Squiggle wrote:
    >>
    >>> Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and
    >>> now they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm
    >>> about to jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?

    [...]
    >> news.solani.org
    >> news.eternal-september.org
    >> news.albasani.net
    >> nntp.aioe.org

    [...]

    > Thanks for the suggestion, i'm already using eternal-september, but the
    > newsgroups are just one of many problems. Having to wait ten minutes
    > while a 6 minute youtube clip loads is more of an issue.

    I agree *that* would be an issue, just not one you'd mentioned in your OP,
    which did mention news-servers ;-)

    Telescum I've heard has been OK as of late [ducks] ;-)

    Bon chance, out there (no real recommendations, sorry).

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Jun 28, 2009
  10. Squiggle

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:17:56 +1200, in message <>
    whoisthis <> wrote:

    > Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:17:56 +1200

    > Orcon, Happy.

    Evidently, Orcon's news server still thinks it is NZ daylight savings time.
    And the Orcon news server seems to have the wrong time on top of that.

    | Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 20:13:31 +1200

    | Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 23:53:47 +1200
  11. Squiggle

    thingy Guest

    On Jun 28, 7:38 pm, greg <> wrote:
    > Squiggle wrote:
    > > Since Xnet has gone totally down the shitter in the last 6 months, and
    > > now they look like they have turned the newserver off for good, i'm
    > > about to jump ISP again. But who is worth jumping too?

    > > Ihug/Vodafone were shite last i heard, has this changed? Whats Orcon
    > > like these days, anybody happy with their service?

    > Can't recommend any ISP, basically it's a choice of who you would like
    > to be shafted by.
    >
    > Be prepared for long wait times on hold, support staffs first language
    > will not be english, and their skill level will be limited to reading
    > from a script.
    >
    > Any service that fails will then be called a "free service and no
    > performance level promised in any way". Poor download speeds (Telecoms
    > fault but most people in NZ don't have a choice), small data caps.
    >
    > Basically all the ISP's are crap, if Xnet aren't doing anything about
    > their news server, file a complaint with the TDR, that usually gets them
    > moving.
    >
    > Take your pick :( they are all different flavors of a shit sandwich.

    Sadly I agree...

    Interesting that there is the Pollies saying broadband etc is vital,
    yet we have a bunch of cowboys (at best) for ISPs....who,

    Wont fix issues.
    Wont respond on the phone.
    Lie.
    Cheat.
    Screw you at every opportunity for every penny.
    Take money off you on a whim and then fight you for 3~6 months as you
    try and get it back.
    Disconnect you for money you dont owe them....
    etc etc

    So we might one day get fibre....so how is that going to fix customer
    issues?

    All I want is a connection to the Internet and an IP address (though 2
    would be nice), I dont need sucky ISPs with moronic staff to deal
    with....realistically I dont need most of the second rate services
    they offer.....I just need a pipe....

    regards

    thing
    thingy, Jun 29, 2009
  12. In message <>, Stephen Worthington
    wrote:

    > I just pay $10 per GiByte ...

    I hope you're getting a pretty good speed for that price, otherwise I'd say
    you're being ripped off. Ihug only charges me $2 per gig over my monthly
    limit.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 3, 2009
  13. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    > message news:h2k29q$i70$...
    >> In message <>, Stephen
    >> Worthington
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just pay $10 per GiByte ...

    >> I hope you're getting a pretty good speed for that price, otherwise
    >> I'd say
    >> you're being ripped off. Ihug only charges me $2 per gig over my monthly
    >> limit.
    >>

    > Same for Orcon I think.
    >
    > I believe you can also increase your package anytime in the month, and
    > avoid the overage charge (assuming you increase it enough to cover your
    > overage of course), so as you reach the end of the billing month and you
    > are already over by, say, 9GB you might add 10GB to your package for the
    > month which costs $12 I think, but better than paying $18 (at $2 / GB)
    > and definitely better than $90 if you are paying $10 / GB.
    >
    > Presumably if they charge $10 / GB you'll be very careful not to go
    > over though!
    >
    > Check on their website if you are interested as it probably changes from
    > time to time.
    >
    > Alan.

    The worldnet overage charge is $10/10GB, not per GB as Stephen said. Its
    looking quite attractive at the moment as most of the other isps want
    voice/tolls etc also, but in my living situation those are not in my
    name, nor do I wish them to be as I do not use those services.
    Squiggle, Jul 3, 2009
  14. In message <h2k8s0$dsk$-september.org>, Squiggle wrote:

    > The worldnet overage charge is $10/10GB, not per GB as Stephen said. Its
    > looking quite attractive at the moment ...

    That's much more reasonable. For sufficiently New-Zealand-specific values of
    the term "reasonable". :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 3, 2009
  15. On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 16:43:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Stephen Worthington
    >wrote:
    >
    >> I just pay $10 per GiByte ...

    >I hope you're getting a pretty good speed for that price, otherwise I'd say
    >you're being ripped off. Ihug only charges me $2 per gig over my monthly
    >limit.

    A mistype. It is $10 per 10 Gibytes.
    Stephen Worthington, Jul 3, 2009
  16. Squiggle

    Alan Guest

    "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >> message news:h2k29q$i70$...
    >>> In message <>, Stephen
    >>> Worthington

    >>> I hope you're getting a pretty good speed for that price,
    >>> otherwise I'd say
    >>> you're being ripped off. Ihug only charges me $2 per gig over my
    >>> monthly
    >>> limit.
    >>>

    >> Same for Orcon I think.
    >>
    >> I believe you can also increase your package anytime in the month,
    >> and avoid the overage charge (assuming you increase it enough to
    >> cover your overage of course), so as you reach the end of the
    >> billing month and you are already over by, say, 9GB you might add
    >> 10GB to your package for the month which costs $12 I think, but
    >> better than paying $18 (at $2 / GB) and definitely better than $90
    >> if you are paying $10 / GB.
    >>
    >> Presumably if they charge $10 / GB you'll be very careful not to
    >> go over though!
    >>
    >> Check on their website if you are interested as it probably changes
    >> from time to time.
    >>
    >> Alan.
    >>

    > The worldnet overage charge is $10/10GB, not per GB as Stephen said.
    > Its looking quite attractive at the moment as most of the other isps
    > want voice/tolls etc also, but in my living situation those are not
    > in my name, nor do I wish them to be as I do not use those services.

    $1 / GB sounds okay to me.

    Alan.

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min probably much longer).
    Alan, Jul 3, 2009
  17. Squiggle

    Alan Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote
    in message news:...
    > On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 16:43:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Stephen
    >>Worthington
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just pay $10 per GiByte ...

    >>I hope you're getting a pretty good speed for that price, otherwise
    >>I'd say
    >>you're being ripped off. Ihug only charges me $2 per gig over my
    >>monthly
    >>limit.

    > A mistype. It is $10 per 10 Gibytes.

    That's okay - I wouldn't have any particular issue with that figure as
    of today.

    Alan, Jul 3, 2009