ISP recommendations (now that orcon have doubled the price of mycurrent plan)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nova, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Due to Orcon more than doubling the price of their 256/128 "broadband"
    unlimited plan. I am seeing what else is around.

    I heard actrix have a capped system that resets every day, anyone on
    this ISP? what is it like, ok?

    slingshot.. I can seem to only find 2 plans with them? with the biggest
    data allowance being 3 gigs.. is that all they have really??

    ihug... I used to use them for dialup, they were ok, I left them cause
    of orcons unlimited package, but possibly could return to them now.. I
    am encouraged that they have told Telecom where to go with the recent
    packages too...

    Anyway, what am I after?

    well I guess i chew through the bandwidth now and then.. So 40 gigs
    would be a nice cap, and then throttled.. i dont want to pay extra $$ if
    I go over some limit..

    Static ip is alwawys good..

    Yeah... Ok recommendations anyone? :)
    Nova, Mar 15, 2006

  2. Nova

    krazy Bob Guest

    Re: ISP recommendations (now that orcon have doubled the price of my current plan)

    "Nova" <> wrote in message news:44178f17$...
    > Due to Orcon more than doubling the price of their 256/128 "broadband"
    > unlimited plan. I am seeing what else is around.
    >
    > I heard actrix have a capped system that resets every day, anyone on this
    > ISP? what is it like, ok?

    Talk to Shaun (~misfit~) hes on actrix...

    krazy Bob, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Nova

    EMB Guest

    Nova wrote:

    > ihug... I used to use them for dialup, they were ok, I left them cause
    > of orcons unlimited package, but possibly could return to them now.. I
    > am encouraged that they have told Telecom where to go with the recent
    > packages too...
    >
    > Anyway, what am I after?
    >
    > well I guess i chew through the bandwidth now and then.. So 40 gigs
    > would be a nice cap, and then throttled.. i dont want to pay extra $$ if
    > I go over some limit..
    >
    > Static ip is alwawys good..
    >
    > Yeah... Ok recommendations anyone? :)

    ihug - mostly because they've told Telecom to jam it. I don't have too
    many issues with them, they give me a static IP, and will sell you 40GB
    for $69.95 if you give them your tolls business.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Mar 15, 2006
  4. Nova

    David Empson Guest

    Nova <> wrote:

    > Due to Orcon more than doubling the price of their 256/128 "broadband"
    > unlimited plan. I am seeing what else is around.
    >
    > I heard actrix have a capped system that resets every day, anyone on
    > this ISP? what is it like, ok?

    I've been with Actrix (on dialup) since the early 1990s, just switched
    to their entry-level CyberJet plan: 256/128, with 350 MB daily cap
    (after which it slows down to 64/64). $39.95 per month as long as my
    tolls are with Actrix.

    The plans they are offering are likely to change in April. They had told
    me they would be announcing something last week, but nothing has
    surfaced yet. The gist of what they told me was that there would be a
    wider range of options for speed vs data cap, but no hint as to pricing.

    I've had no general problems with the service, though my ADSL modem has
    had one outage in the week and a half I've been connected (just after
    noon on Wed 8th March, assuming its clock is right, lasted about 20
    minutes). Might have been Telecom's fault rather than Actrix's.

    I'm not entirely happy with their usage monitoring - it shows a graph
    giving instantaneous data rate vs time of day, which makes it impossible
    to see how much data you've actually used on earlier days (unless you
    like integrating graphs in your head). It does show how much data you
    have used so far today.

    They don't offer a backup dial-up account. Cheapest option from Actrix
    would be $2 a month plus 1c per minute if you arrange a second account.
    If you need a dial-up account for emergencies or while travelling, it
    would be better to get it from another ISP who doesn't have a monthly
    base charge. I'm living dangerously for the moment, as most of my
    friends have broadband anyway.

    I'm nowhere near testing the daily limit, so I can't report on the
    reliability of their data measuring or the timing of the reset to full
    speed. I saw a recent post in this group from another Actrix user who
    was complaining about the "back to full speed" time being arbitrarily
    delayed, on one occasion as late as 3 a.m. Look for the thread titled
    "Actrix messing around.", starting from message-ID
    <4410e71d$> on Fri 10 March, poster named "Shaun
    (~misfit~)" <>.

    > Anyway, what am I after?
    >
    > well I guess i chew through the bandwidth now and then.. So 40 gigs
    > would be a nice cap, and then throttled.. i dont want to pay extra $$ if
    > I go over some limit..

    In their current plans, Actrix has two faster options with higher daily
    limits: the top one is $69.95 for 1 GB per day at 2 Mbps/128 kbps (then
    slowing down to 64/64 until midnight), which works out to about 30 GB
    per month at full speed, plus whatever else you can suck down at the
    slower speed.

    > Static ip is alwawys good..

    Extra cost option from everyone, I expect.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Mar 15, 2006
  5. Nova

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Re: ISP recommendations (now that orcon have doubled the price of my current plan)

    "Nova" <> wrote in message news:44178f17$...
    > Due to Orcon more than doubling the price of their 256/128 "broadband"
    > unlimited plan. I am seeing what else is around.
    >
    > I heard actrix have a capped system that resets every day, anyone on this
    > ISP? what is it like, ok?
    >
    > slingshot.. I can seem to only find 2 plans with them? with the biggest
    > data allowance being 3 gigs.. is that all they have really??

    At one time Slingshot offered a lot more than that, But instead of offering
    more they're offering a lot less these days....
    and they're very proud that they're offering less than they used to.

    When it comes to real broadband prices Slingshot and others can cut the
    tolls as well crap.

    Your best bet is to wait and see if there's any big changes on offer over
    the next few months.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Mar 15, 2006
  6. Re: ISP recommendations (now that orcon have doubled the price of my current plan)

    Nova wrote:
    > Due to Orcon more than doubling the price of their 256/128 "broadband"
    > unlimited plan. I am seeing what else is around.
    >
    > I heard actrix have a capped system that resets every day, anyone on
    > this ISP? what is it like, ok?

    I'm on it, the 2M/128 flavour that allows 1GB traffic a day at "full speed"
    and then dropping to 64/64kbps. The website says that the speed re-sets at
    midnite but they are currently doing trials and the latest news (emailed to
    me this morning) is that they may take a staggered approach to re-sets, with
    2 - 3 goups, re-setting at 12am, 1am and 2am although they're undecided at
    this stage and are re-setting at 2am.

    Overall I'm happy with them (although I won't be if they decide to
    permanently cahnge my re-set time from 12am, for personal reasons). They
    seem to have good speed, 256KB/s from local servers, varied speed from
    international as there are other bottlenecks. If you're into torrents you'll
    find that they run a bit slow during the day as the Telecom contention ratio
    bites everyone equally. Their helpdesk is good, fixing a problem for me that
    I had with my line by getting telecom out here within 24 hours. I was with
    Orcon previously and had the problem (causing 50+ drop-outs a month) and
    they refused to do anything, even though I was ringing them over a period of
    ovet three weeks about it. Actrix got onto Telecom for me and it was fixed
    within 24 hours of me inquiring. I'd rate Actrix quite highly. Definately
    *much* better than Orcon.

    My IP has been static except when Telecom changed my port at the exchange to
    fix my drop-out problem, I got a different one then. Also, there was a
    fairly general outage today and I have a new IP as of this afternoon. So I'd
    say semi-static. I haven't asked the helpdesk. I *did* ask them of they
    throttle P2P and they don't. I get good speeds overnight, 3am-ish to 7am
    being good, slower during the day.

    > slingshot.. I can seem to only find 2 plans with them? with the
    > biggest data allowance being 3 gigs.. is that all they have really??
    >
    > ihug... I used to use them for dialup, they were ok, I left them cause
    > of orcons unlimited package, but possibly could return to them now.. I
    > am encouraged that they have told Telecom where to go with the recent
    > packages too...
    >
    > Anyway, what am I after?
    >
    > well I guess i chew through the bandwidth now and then.. So 40 gigs
    > would be a nice cap, and then throttled.. i dont want to pay extra $$
    > if I go over some limit..
    >
    > Static ip is alwawys good..
    >
    > Yeah... Ok recommendations anyone? :)

    See above. Good luck.
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)
    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 15, 2006
  7. Nova

    MarkH Guest

    Nova <> wrote in news:44178f17$:

    > Due to Orcon more than doubling the price of their 256/128 "broadband"
    > unlimited plan. I am seeing what else is around.

    Don't be a fool, wait to see what everyone else is changing before
    considering the options.

    > I heard actrix have a capped system that resets every day, anyone on
    > this ISP? what is it like, ok?

    Orcon still offers 40GB for $60, Actrix gives you less.

    > slingshot.. I can seem to only find 2 plans with them? with the biggest
    > data allowance being 3 gigs.. is that all they have really??
    >
    > ihug... I used to use them for dialup, they were ok, I left them cause
    > of orcons unlimited package, but possibly could return to them now.. I
    > am encouraged that they have told Telecom where to go with the recent
    > packages too...
    >
    > Anyway, what am I after?
    >
    > well I guess i chew through the bandwidth now and then.. So 40 gigs
    > would be a nice cap, and then throttled.. i dont want to pay extra $$ if
    > I go over some limit..
    >
    > Static ip is alwawys good..
    >
    > Yeah... Ok recommendations anyone? :)

    Wait for a week or 2 and see what is on offer.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Mar 15, 2006
  8. Nova

    Nova Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Nova <> wrote in news:44178f17$:
    >
    >> Due to Orcon more than doubling the price of their 256/128 "broadband"
    >> unlimited plan. I am seeing what else is around.

    > Don't be a fool, wait to see what everyone else is changing before
    > considering the options.
    >
    >> I heard actrix have a capped system that resets every day, anyone on
    >> this ISP? what is it like, ok?

    > Orcon still offers 40GB for $60, Actrix gives you less.
    >
    >> slingshot.. I can seem to only find 2 plans with them? with the biggest
    >> data allowance being 3 gigs.. is that all they have really??
    >>
    >> ihug... I used to use them for dialup, they were ok, I left them cause
    >> of orcons unlimited package, but possibly could return to them now.. I
    >> am encouraged that they have told Telecom where to go with the recent
    >> packages too...
    >>
    >> Anyway, what am I after?
    >>
    >> well I guess i chew through the bandwidth now and then.. So 40 gigs
    >> would be a nice cap, and then throttled.. i dont want to pay extra $$ if
    >> I go over some limit..
    >>
    >> Static ip is alwawys good..
    >>
    >> Yeah... Ok recommendations anyone? :)

    > Wait for a week or 2 and see what is on offer.

    Hi yeah, I'm going to sit back a bit and see what happens in the market
    for a few months, whether the government is all talk etc.
    This must be further proof to the government that things are not getting
    better, this is a step backwards for broadband as telecom tell everyone
    things are getting better..

    40 gigs is reasonable, but I hate the idea that if i went over
    accidentally I start paying, I'd prefer that orcon had chosen to
    throttle down or given the user the choice of what to do when the 40
    gigs is reached..
    Nova, Mar 15, 2006
  9. Nova

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi yeah, I'm going to sit back a bit and see what happens in the market
    > for a few months, whether the government is all talk etc.

    As opposed to 'all action'? :)

    You think that any 'action' from our government will be anything greater
    than the 25c per year tax break we're supposed to get in 2025? You're
    kidding yourself. They prefer to make vague threats in an attempt to have
    some sort of control but Telecom continues to call their bluff and laughs
    all the way to the bank.

    Our government has no balls.

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Mar 15, 2006
  10. Nova

    MarkH wrote:

    > Orcon still offers 40GB for $60, Actrix gives you less.
    >

    > Mark Heyes (New Zealand)

    Howdy Mark,

    I just had a look at the Orcon website and, apologies for my ignorance,
    but I can't see where they offer 40 GB for $60.

    I read it as $60 gets you either 31GB at 256/128 with tolls or 21GB at
    2M/128 with tolls. Not being an Orcon customer I don't know if 31GB
    means exactly 31GB and then the rate limiting kicks in.

    I'm an Actrix customer and admit that I pay an extra $10 per month. But
    for that extra $10 I get 2M/128 and my daily 1GB cap usually doesn't
    kick in until approximately 1100 MB (or thereabouts). Most months I'm
    in the 35-40 GB of downloads range quite easily.

    For me, the extra $10 is worth it. Daily caps as opposed to a monthly
    cap and 2MB/128 as opposed to 256/128. Also a more than acceptable
    *stable* connection (most important). And, by all accounts, a better
    help desk than Orcon.

    Regards
    Miguel

    PLEASE NOTE: These are my own personal views. If anyone is silly enough
    to take what I say seriously and then act upon this silliness DON'T
    BLAME ME if it all goes wrong. :)
    , Mar 15, 2006
  11. Nova

    MarkH Guest

    Re: ISP recommendations (now that orcon have doubled the price of my current plan)

    wrote in news:1142462898.390772.132140
    @u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

    > MarkH wrote:
    >

    >> Orcon still offers 40GB for $60, Actrix gives you less.
    >>

    >> Mark Heyes (New Zealand)

    > Howdy Mark,
    >
    > I just had a look at the Orcon website and, apologies for my ignorance,
    > but I can't see where they offer 40 GB for $60.
    >
    > I read it as $60 gets you either 31GB at 256/128 with tolls or 21GB at
    > 2M/128 with tolls. Not being an Orcon customer I don't know if 31GB
    > means exactly 31GB and then the rate limiting kicks in.

    Advanced 40
    256Kbps/128Kbps
    40 GB then $10/5GB
    $49.95 with tolls.
    $59.95 without tolls.

    > I'm an Actrix customer and admit that I pay an extra $10 per month. But
    > for that extra $10 I get 2M/128 and my daily 1GB cap usually doesn't
    > kick in until approximately 1100 MB (or thereabouts). Most months I'm
    > in the 35-40 GB of downloads range quite easily.
    >
    > For me, the extra $10 is worth it. Daily caps as opposed to a monthly
    > cap and 2MB/128 as opposed to 256/128. Also a more than acceptable
    > *stable* connection (most important). And, by all accounts, a better
    > help desk than Orcon.

    I could easily download 40GB in a month with nothing downloaded on some
    days and 2 or 3 GB on other days. Personally I would not consider any ISP
    with daily limits - especially on a 2M plan where a full on day could be
    8GB. Therefore Actrix does not make my list for possible ISPs to replace
    Orcon.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade