    http://www.xtraplans.co.nz/unleashed ?

    Regards,

    Crash.

    Crash, Oct 6, 2006

  2. Crash

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Oct 6, 2006

  3. Crash <> wrote:

    > Greetings all,
    >
    > Maybe I missed something here - have any other ISPs made announcements about
    > competing products to the new (full speed) plans announced by Xtra at
    > http://www.xtraplans.co.nz/unleashed ?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Crash.

    I received the following shortly after Xtra's announcement a while back:

    Dear Customer,

    Actrix has some great news regarding your CyberJet plan, and I thought
    you would like to know.

    Later this year your CyberJet connection speed will be upgraded, and
    best of all you won't be paying any more for that speed upgrade!

    Those of you on our 3.5Mb / 128Kb service will go to full speed down /
    128Kb up, whist those on 3.5Mb / 512Kb will go to full speed in both
    directions. Full speed DSL will give you a connection speed of up to
    8Mbps downstream and up to 600Kbps upstream. The actual connection speed
    will vary depending on the distance you are from your Telecom exchange.

    While there is no set time frame at this stage, rest assured that Actrix
    will be making this change for you as soon as possible.

    Sincerely,
    Dave Harding-Shaw
    Product Manager

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 6, 2006
  4. Crash

    Vista Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > Maybe I missed something here - have any other ISPs made announcements
    > about competing products to the new (full speed) plans announced by Xtra
    > at http://www.xtraplans.co.nz/unleashed ?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Crash.

    Other ISPs are always moaning. The fact is that the new plans are good for
    their customers with faster speeds.

    Vista, Oct 6, 2006
  5. Crash

    Phil Guest

    EMB wrote, On 6/10/06 4.48 p:
    > Maxnet -
    > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/5545FDAEB0C61FA8CC2571FD006F8F74

    "As wholesale ISPs are subject to a 50¢ per gigabyte backhaul excess
    charge on data volumes over 4GB, Herkt says it was impossible to use
    CUBS for Maxnet's managed plan offering."

    IIRC, this only applies if they (Maxnet) don't have a handover point at
    the USAP the customer is connecting to. It's not "impossible", they just
    have to populate the country with handover points and find their own
    backhaul provider.

    -Phil

    Phil, Oct 6, 2006
  6. Crash

    Adam Guest

    On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:48:08 +1300, EMB wrote:

    >Crash wrote:
    >> Greetings all,
    >>
    >> Maybe I missed something here - have any other ISPs made announcements
    >> about competing products to the new (full speed) plans announced by Xtra
    >> at http://www.xtraplans.co.nz/unleashed ?

    >Maxnet -
    >http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/5545FDAEB0C61FA8CC2571FD006F8F74

    Hmmmm ...

    Firstly, Maxnet agree that only 75% of their customers are business
    users:

    "Maxnet is targetting the business market more than residential users,
    Herkt says. Only a quarter of customers are residential users,
    according to Herkt, which means Maxnet's customers don't go through as
    much data as those of other ISPs."

    But then ...

    ""Managed" is per Telecom's Fair Use Policy: this allows for a maximum
    of 700MB traffic per day between the hours of 4pm and midnight. Users
    that go over that limit will be put into a pool in which they share a
    limited amount of bandwith with others deemed high volume users. "

    4pm to midnight? Peak hours for business users? Hmmm ... I don't think
    so.

    Unless it means that, in reality, our Internet is being swamped by the
    greedy P2P home user.

    Adam.

    Adam, Oct 6, 2006
  7. T'was the Sat, 07 Oct 2006 00:35:45 +1300 when I remembered Adam
    saying something like this:

    >Unless it means that, in reality, our Internet is being swamped by the
    >greedy P2P home user.

    Well, the term greedy is debatable. Tell someone something's
    unlimited, and people naturally want to find out how much so. Remember
    $10 TXT was unlimited once? 8000 TXTs in a month, or 16 an hour a day
    for eight hours a day every day for a month.

    And I don't see Valentines going broke any time soon.

    Actually, I guess people are greedy. Hmm, I guess this will make
    Orcon's $109.95 256Kb flat rate plan seem a little expensive.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 6, 2006
  8. Crash

    MarkH Guest

    Adam wrote in news::

    > On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:48:08 +1300, EMB wrote:
    >
    >>Crash wrote:
    >>> Greetings all,
    >>>
    >>> Maybe I missed something here - have any other ISPs made
    >>> announcements about competing products to the new (full speed) plans
    >>> announced by Xtra at http://www.xtraplans.co.nz/unleashed ?

    >>Maxnet -
    >>http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/5545FDAEB0C61FA8CC2571FD006F8F
    >>74

    > Hmmmm ...
    >
    > Firstly, Maxnet agree that only 75% of their customers are business
    > users:
    >
    > "Maxnet is targetting the business market more than residential users,
    > Herkt says. Only a quarter of customers are residential users,
    > according to Herkt, which means Maxnet's customers don't go through as
    > much data as those of other ISPs."
    >
    > But then ...
    >
    > ""Managed" is per Telecom's Fair Use Policy: this allows for a maximum
    > of 700MB traffic per day between the hours of 4pm and midnight. Users
    > that go over that limit will be put into a pool in which they share a
    > limited amount of bandwith with others deemed high volume users. "
    >
    > 4pm to midnight? Peak hours for business users? Hmmm ... I don't think
    > so.
    >
    > Unless it means that, in reality, our Internet is being swamped by the
    > greedy P2P home user.

    The plan you are talking about has nothing to do with Maxnet, they are just
    reselling the Telecom plan and it is Telecom that provides the bandwidth.

    This is the main point of the article that you provided the link for - that
    this particular plan was not feasible with UBS and that Maxnet chose to go
    with Telecoms Wholesale Broadband Service (WBS) instead.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 6, 2006
  9. Crash

    MarkH Guest

    MarkH <> wrote in

    > Adam wrote in news::

    >>>Maxnet -
    >>>http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/5545FDAEB0C61FA8CC2571FD006F8
    >>>F 74

    >> Hmmmm ...
    >>
    >> Firstly, Maxnet agree that only 75% of their customers are business
    >> users:
    >>
    >> "Maxnet is targetting the business market more than residential
    >> users, Herkt says. Only a quarter of customers are residential users,
    >> according to Herkt, which means Maxnet's customers don't go through
    >> as much data as those of other ISPs."
    >>
    >> But then ...
    >>
    >> ""Managed" is per Telecom's Fair Use Policy: this allows for a
    >> maximum of 700MB traffic per day between the hours of 4pm and
    >> midnight. Users that go over that limit will be put into a pool in
    >> which they share a limited amount of bandwith with others deemed high
    >> volume users. "
    >>
    >> 4pm to midnight? Peak hours for business users? Hmmm ... I don't
    >> think so.
    >>
    >> Unless it means that, in reality, our Internet is being swamped by
    >> the greedy P2P home user.

    > The plan you are talking about has nothing to do with Maxnet, they are
    > just reselling the Telecom plan and it is Telecom that provides the
    > bandwidth.
    >
    > This is the main point of the article that you provided the link for -
    > that this particular plan was not feasible with UBS and that Maxnet
    > chose to go with Telecoms Wholesale Broadband Service (WBS) instead.

    Oops, I meant that Crash provided the link for.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 6, 2006
  10. Crash

    Richard Guest

    Phil wrote:
    > EMB wrote, On 6/10/06 4.48 p:
    >> Maxnet -
    >> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/5545FDAEB0C61FA8CC2571FD006F8F74

    > "As wholesale ISPs are subject to a 50¢ per gigabyte backhaul excess
    > charge on data volumes over 4GB, Herkt says it was impossible to use
    > CUBS for Maxnet's managed plan offering."
    >
    > IIRC, this only applies if they (Maxnet) don't have a handover point at
    > the USAP the customer is connecting to. It's not "impossible", they just
    > have to populate the country with handover points and find their own
    > backhaul provider.

    So they have done what any smart ISP would do, and use the wholesale
    offerings where appropriate, and UBS for other offerings. Wow, they seem
    to be the only ones that managed to figure that out other then worldnet.

    Richard, Oct 6, 2006
  11. Crash

    EMB Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > Oops, I meant that Crash provided the link for.

    Or maybe that I provided the link for

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 6, 2006
  12. Crash

    thingy Guest

    Adam wrote:

    8><----

    > 4pm to midnight? Peak hours for business users? Hmmm ... I don't think
    > so.
    >
    > Unless it means that, in reality, our Internet is being swamped by the
    > greedy P2P home user.
    >
    > Adam.

    When a plan is marketed as un-limited and as high speed as you can get
    etc etc, the ISP should expect it is going to attract a decent % of
    customers who want that high usage, FFS that is why you buy such a
    plan....to use it.....

    eg. While most people buy a 4wd drive to do shopping and ponce about
    town in, I bought mine to use off road, such enthusiasts use their 4wds
    to the limits, even to the point of breaking them........

    This is where I think marketing have got the better of too many
    companies, they allow their marketeers to oversell a product then leave
    the operations/maintenance/techies to sort out the mess and the
    hype....result annoyed customers...

    regards

    Thing

    PS P2P and the way the RIAA and MPAA rant over it is a bit of a
    joke.......funny how people rave about it yet Usenet has had such stuff
    for years.....just get a monthly plan off a US provider....and download
    anything you want....
    PPS And no I dont have such an account and dont downlaod such infringing
    material.

    thingy, Oct 6, 2006
  13. Crash

    Earl Grey Guest

    On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 00:35:45 +1300, Adam wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:48:08 +1300, EMB wrote:
    >
    >>Crash wrote:
    >>> Greetings all,
    >>>
    >>> Maybe I missed something here - have any other ISPs made announcements
    >>> about competing products to the new (full speed) plans announced by Xtra
    >>> at http://www.xtraplans.co.nz/unleashed ?

    >>Maxnet -
    >>http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/5545FDAEB0C61FA8CC2571FD006F8F74

    > Hmmmm ...
    >
    > Firstly, Maxnet agree that only 75% of their customers are business
    > users:
    >
    > "Maxnet is targetting the business market more than residential users,
    > Herkt says. Only a quarter of customers are residential users,
    > according to Herkt, which means Maxnet's customers don't go through as
    > much data as those of other ISPs."
    >
    > But then ...
    >
    > ""Managed" is per Telecom's Fair Use Policy: this allows for a maximum
    > of 700MB traffic per day between the hours of 4pm and midnight. Users
    > that go over that limit will be put into a pool in which they share a
    > limited amount of bandwith with others deemed high volume users. "
    >
    > 4pm to midnight? Peak hours for business users? Hmmm ... I don't think
    > so.
    >
    > Unless it means that, in reality, our Internet is being swamped by the
    > greedy P2P home user.
    >
    > Adam.

    Its being oversold many times over by a greedy telco.
    What do they call it when you sell something you can't deliver ?
    Fraud isn't it ?

    Earl Grey, Oct 7, 2006
  14. Crash

    Blue Guest

    On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 00:35:45 +1300, Adam wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:48:08 +1300, EMB wrote:
    >
    >>Crash wrote:
    >>> Greetings all,
    >>>
    >>> Maybe I missed something here - have any other ISPs made announcements
    >>> about competing products to the new (full speed) plans announced by Xtra
    >>> at http://www.xtraplans.co.nz/unleashed ?

    >>Maxnet -
    >>http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/5545FDAEB0C61FA8CC2571FD006F8F74

    > Hmmmm ...
    >
    > Firstly, Maxnet agree that only 75% of their customers are business
    > users:
    >
    > "Maxnet is targetting the business market more than residential users,
    > Herkt says. Only a quarter of customers are residential users,
    > according to Herkt, which means Maxnet's customers don't go through as
    > much data as those of other ISPs."
    >
    > But then ...
    >
    > ""Managed" is per Telecom's Fair Use Policy: this allows for a maximum
    > of 700MB traffic per day between the hours of 4pm and midnight. Users
    > that go over that limit will be put into a pool in which they share a
    > limited amount of bandwith with others deemed high volume users. "
    >
    > 4pm to midnight? Peak hours for business users? Hmmm ... I don't think
    > so.
    >
    > Unless it means that, in reality, our Internet is being swamped by the
    > greedy P2P home user.

    FFS, broadband should be about building the intrastructure and then one
    pays the cost of using it. Think of roads, there is a "tax" on the fuel we
    use as we use the highways of this country. Travel further and you pay
    more and use it more.

    Blue, Oct 7, 2006
  15. Crash

    Blue Guest

    On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 11:46:52 +1300, thingy wrote:

    > eg. While most people buy a 4wd drive to do shopping and ponce about
    > town in, I bought mine to use off road, such enthusiasts use their 4wds
    > to the limits, even to the point of breaking them........
    >
    > This is where I think marketing have got the better of too many
    > companies, they allow their marketeers to oversell a product then leave
    > the operations/maintenance/techies to sort out the mess and the
    > hype....result annoyed customers...

    > This is where I think marketing have got the better of too many
    > companies,

    Typo, too many consumers, not companies.

    Blue, Oct 7, 2006
  16. Crash

    Blue Guest

    On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 18:35:21 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > Dear Customer,
    >
    > Actrix has some great news regarding your CyberJet plan, and I thought
    > you would like to know.
    >
    > Later this year your CyberJet connection speed will be upgraded, and
    > best of all you won't be paying any more for that speed upgrade!
    >
    > Those of you on our 3.5Mb / 128Kb service will go to full speed down /
    > 128Kb up, whist those on 3.5Mb / 512Kb will go to full speed in both
    > directions.

    Psst, let us see if we do go faster.

    Blue, Oct 7, 2006
  17. Crash

    MarkH Guest

    EMB <> wrote in news:eg6hf3$70f$:

    > MarkH wrote:
    >>
    >> Oops, I meant that Crash provided the link for.

    > Or maybe that I provided the link for

    Sorry, you're right. Oops for my wrong oops.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 7, 2006
  18. On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 20:24:52 +1300, "Vista" <> wrote:

    >Other ISPs are always moaning. The fact is that the new plans are good for
    >their customers with faster speeds.

    Bollocks. The new plans suck, offering higher speeds (potentially) but
    with pretty minimal volumes.
    --
    Rupert Boleyn <>

    Rupert Boleyn, Oct 8, 2006
  19. In article <>, Rupert Boleyn <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 20:24:52 +1300, "Vista" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Other ISPs are always moaning. The fact is that the new plans are good for
    >>their customers with faster speeds.

    >Bollocks. The new plans suck, offering higher speeds (potentially) but
    >with pretty minimal volumes.

    Idle questiosn ...
    As with current plans, if they offer higher speeds and then don't deliver,
    is there anything you can do about it ? I have seen many whinges about
    paying for speed x, getting speed x/2, complainging and being told "tough".
    Is this likely to chenge ? ... will there be any guarantees of service level
    ?

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 9, 2006
  20. In message <egc1or$3cu$>, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article <>, Rupert Boleyn
    > <> wrote:
    >>On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 20:24:52 +1300, "Vista" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Other ISPs are always moaning. The fact is that the new plans are good
    >>>for their customers with faster speeds.

    >>Bollocks. The new plans suck, offering higher speeds (potentially) but
    >>with pretty minimal volumes.

    > Idle questiosn ...
    > As with current plans, if they offer higher speeds and then don't deliver,
    > is there anything you can do about it ?

    I suppose if sufficient numbers of customers felt they were not getting what
    was promised, they could complain to the Commerce Commission. That has many
    successful prosecutions under its belt of companies who have committed
    things like misleading advertising, hidden charges and the like.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2006