    Hello,

    Is there a script or something that will show which ports my ISP is
    blocking?
    John, Jul 17, 2007

  2. John

    Mike Easter Guest

    John wrote:

    > Is there a script or something that will show which ports my ISP is
    > blocking?

    What are you trying to do and what kind of trouble are you having doing
    it?

    My understanding is that many ISPs including pacbell are going to be
    blocking port 25 so that their proxified users won't be effective at
    being spam injectors.

    Pacbell has been known to block 135 in the past to counteract the
    blaster worm, and some providers have blocked 1214 because of kazaa.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 17, 2007

  3. John

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:33:29 -0700, John wrote:

    >Hello,
    >

    >Is there a script or something that will show which ports my ISP is
    >blocking?

    If you run a script (think about what you are trying to appear to do)
    then you will find all ports blocked when they terminate your account
    for scanning.

    Me
    why?, Jul 17, 2007
  4. John

    John Guest

    >My understanding is that many ISPs including pacbell are going to be
    >blocking port 25 so that their proxified users won't be effective at
    >being spam injectors.

    That's exactly it. I went on the support chat thing and asked them to
    unblock port 25 and they said that they did. However, it still doesn't
    work. I can receive email from my own servers.
    John, Jul 18, 2007
  5. John

    Mike Easter Guest

    John wrote:
    <my cite>

    >> My understanding is that many ISPs including pacbell are going to be
    >> blocking port 25 so that their proxified users won't be effective at
    >> being spam injectors.

    > That's exactly it.

    That's 'exactly it' meaning what? That you have some need to be able to
    use port 25 with anything other than your own pacbell server? What are
    you trying to do?

    > I went on the support chat thing and asked them to
    > unblock port 25 and they said that they did.

    Don't let any chat support techs blow smoke up your skirt. Some of them
    only know what is in their cookbook and some of them can't even read
    /that/ and some of them are actually helpful -- but the tech support for
    big providers goes to the lowest bidder.

    > However, it still doesn't
    > work.

    That doesn't surprise me. But you didn't describe exactly what it is
    that doesn't work. The better you describe exactly what you are trying
    to do, the better the help is going to be around here.

    > I can receive email from my own servers.

    We are going to have to get some things clarified. When you pop/receive
    mail from your provider's server, you are typically doing it on port
    110. When you smtp/send mail to your provider's server, you are
    typically doing it on port 25.

    If you are wanting to use some other mail provider's smtp service, these
    days it is highly likely that you should be sending it over some other
    port than 25. Which mail server *OUT* not *receive* are you wanting to
    use?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 18, 2007
  6. John

    Mike Easter Guest

    John wrote:

    > I can receive email from my own servers.

    What does 'my own servers' mean in this context?

    Are you saying that you are wanting to have a/ your own/ mailserver
    sending and receiving mail using the/your pacbell DSL IP? Or when you
    say 'my own servers' you are talking about pacbell servers?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 18, 2007