    At work we have a system that uses the likes of a Cell Phone connected to the
    PC..

    Thanks
    Tony, Jul 24, 2005

  2. Tony wrote:

    > A friend was in the local DSE looking for some computer phone stuff,

    I don't
    > know what type of system that she is looking into but the one that

    DSE has is

    Yes, www.italk.co.nz

    > I am a bit out of date with this Computer to phone thing, the only

    thing that
    > I every tried was a free Computer to land line thing, all you

    needed was a
    > sound card and a mike..

    Slingshot (italk) offer both PC to phone (download a softphone
    application onto your PC), and also phone to phone calling. DSE sell a
    VOIP phone that plugs into your broadband internet and gives you the
    Italk service for ~$10 a month with a 09 number. I have the later. It
    has the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) ie she can use it as you pick it up
    and dial/answer just like a "normal" phone.

    Why spend ~$35/month on a homeline when you get one for $10? Unless you
    have to have a phoneline to get broadband? In which case the benefits
    might be mute as you will have a phone anyway. I'm lucky enough to live
    where there is cable which doesn't require a homeline to have a billing
    record to be able to get broadband internet.

    > So what other systems are their..?

    In NZ?
    http://www.sipserve.co.nz/
    www.italk.co.nz

    Nathan Mercer, Jul 24, 2005

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:23:33 +1200, Nathan Mercer <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    > >

    > > A friend was in the local DSE looking for some computer phone stuff,

    >I don't
    > > know what type of system that she is looking into but the one that

    >DSE has is
    > > a Slingshot one..
    > >
    > > Is this a Voip thing..?

    >Yes, www.italk.co.nz
    >
    > > I am a bit out of date with this Computer to phone thing, the only

    >thing that
    > > I every tried was a free Computer to land line thing, all you

    >needed was a
    > > sound card and a mike..

    >Slingshot (italk) offer both PC to phone (download a softphone
    >application onto your PC), and also phone to phone calling. DSE sell a
    >VOIP phone that plugs into your broadband internet and gives you the
    >Italk service for ~$10 a month with a 09 number. I have the later. It
    >has the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) ie she can use it as you pick it up
    >and dial/answer just like a "normal" phone.
    >
    >Why spend ~$35/month on a homeline when you get one for $10? Unless you
    >have to have a phoneline to get broadband? In which case the benefits
    >might be mute as you will have a phone anyway. I'm lucky enough to live
    >where there is cable which doesn't require a homeline to have a billing
    >record to be able to get broadband internet.
    >
    > > So what other systems are their..?

    >In NZ?
    >http://www.sipserve.co.nz/
    >www.italk.co.nz
    >

    > > At work we have a system that uses the likes of a Cell Phone

    >connected to the
    > > PC..
    > >

    > > Thanks

    But she does not wish to change ISP's

    I don't know what one she is with..
    Tony, Jul 24, 2005
  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:23:33 +1200, Nathan Mercer <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    > >

    > > A friend was in the local DSE looking for some computer phone stuff,

    >I don't
    > > know what type of system that she is looking into but the one that

    >DSE has is
    > > a Slingshot one..
    > >
    > > Is this a Voip thing..?

    >Yes, www.italk.co.nz
    >
    > > I am a bit out of date with this Computer to phone thing, the only

    >thing that
    > > I every tried was a free Computer to land line thing, all you

    >needed was a
    > > sound card and a mike..

    >Slingshot (italk) offer both PC to phone (download a softphone
    >application onto your PC), and also phone to phone calling. DSE sell a
    >VOIP phone that plugs into your broadband internet and gives you the
    >Italk service for ~$10 a month with a 09 number. I have the later. It
    >has the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) ie she can use it as you pick it up
    >and dial/answer just like a "normal" phone.
    >
    >Why spend ~$35/month on a homeline when you get one for $10? Unless you
    >have to have a phoneline to get broadband? In which case the benefits
    >might be mute as you will have a phone anyway. I'm lucky enough to live
    >where there is cable which doesn't require a homeline to have a billing
    >record to be able to get broadband internet.

    But how can you connect to another ISP if you are using TelstraClear/Saturn
    or Paradise cable...??

    Seems to me the Voip is tied to a ISP, so does Slingshot offer a Cable
    service, I do not seem to think so..?

    Tony, Jul 24, 2005
  5. Re: ISP phone stuff

    In article <42e2fba4$>, Nathan Mercer <>
    wrote:

    >Why spend ~$35/month on a homeline when you get one for $10?

    1) No power no phone.
    2) No 111.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 24, 2005
  6. Tony

    Richard Guest

    Re: ISP phone stuff

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    >>Why spend ~$35/month on a homeline when you get one for $10?

    > 1) No power no phone.
    > 2) No 111.

    The answer to both of those "problems" is to have a cellphone too.
    Richard, Jul 24, 2005
  7. Re: ISP phone stuff

    In article <>, Richard <>
    wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >>>Why spend ~$35/month on a homeline when you get one for $10?

    >> 1) No power no phone.
    >> 2) No 111.

    >The answer to both of those "problems" is to have a cellphone too.

    That still doesn't solve 1) when the battery goes flat.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 24, 2005
  8. Re: ISP phone stuff

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > 1) No power no phone.
    > 2) No 111.

    Many call centres have better availability than 111 and better working
    conditions too...would be an interesting project to deploy
    high-availability connectivity plus Power over Ethernet to set up an
    alternative IP-based emergency response capability...
    Stewart Fleming, Jul 24, 2005
  9. Tony

    Richard Guest

    Re: ISP phone stuff

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > That still doesn't solve 1) when the battery goes flat.

    Better then my landline phone that just dies if the power goes out. I think I
    may have a wired phone somewhere but cant see the point, My mobile always has
    power in it.

    Plenty of landlines are supplied from roadside cabinets that have limited
    battery backup on telecoms fiber network. I dont know the runtime and I couldnt
    get any info from telecom when I asked.
    Richard, Jul 24, 2005
  10. Tony wrote:

    > But she does not wish to change ISP's

    No need to change ISPs, you just need broadband
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 24, 2005
  11. Tony

    Richard Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > No need to change ISPs, you just need broadband

    Something that a true version of is unavailable in NZ
    Richard, Jul 24, 2005
  12. Re: ISP phone stuff

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    >>>1) No power no phone.
    >>>2) No 111.

    >>The answer to both of those "problems" is to have a cellphone too.

    > That still doesn't solve 1) when the battery goes flat.

    If the cellphone battery goes flat, and I can't charge it anywhere,
    there are bigger problems around anyway
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 24, 2005
  13. Re: ISP phone stuff

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <42e2fba4$>, Nathan Mercer <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Why spend ~$35/month on a homeline when you get one for $10?

    > 1) No power no phone.
    > 2) No 111.

    $420 down the tubes every year on the off chance that the power goes off
    and I need to make/receive a "landline" call. I suspect 111 actually
    works, but the CLI details will say I'm in Auckland (if at all) when I'm
    really in the capital
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 24, 2005
  14. Richard wrote:
    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >> No need to change ISPs, you just need broadband

    > Something that a true version of is unavailable in NZ

    True, you need "broadband" then - Anyone that markets their internet
    service as "broadband" in NZ will suffice.
    Yes I'm spoilt with Cable, still wish it was cheaper though.
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 24, 2005
  15. Tony

    Richard Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>
    >>> No need to change ISPs, you just need broadband

    >> Something that a true version of is unavailable in NZ

    > True, you need "broadband" then - Anyone that markets their internet
    > service as "broadband" in NZ will suffice.
    > Yes I'm spoilt with Cable, still wish it was cheaper though.

    Well if your on one of the ones that craps out to 64k when you pass an amount,
    then you will find your phone service stops working properly, so you are able to
    get a phone for a few days/weeks of the month on the wannabe broadband, unless
    you get the ip phone from the same company that supplies the internet like the
    former ihug/wired country plans where they are provisioned seperately. However
    they charged almost what telecom charged for the line making it largly pointless
    to move over.
    Richard, Jul 24, 2005
  16. Richard wrote:

    >>> Something that a true version of is unavailable in NZ

    >> True, you need "broadband" then - Anyone that markets their internet
    >> service as "broadband" in NZ will suffice.
    >> Yes I'm spoilt with Cable, still wish it was cheaper though.

    > Well if your on one of the ones that craps out to 64k when you pass an
    > amount, then you will find your phone service stops working properly, so

    True, but you know what I mean. You're right tho 128k sucks as it is,
    to have it drop down to 64k bothways is major suckage.

    > you are able to get a phone for a few days/weeks of the month on the
    > wannabe broadband, unless you get the ip phone from the same company
    > that supplies the internet like the former ihug/wired country plans
    > where they are provisioned seperately. However they charged almost what
    > telecom charged for the line making it largly pointless to move over.

    Given that you need to have a phoneline, to "have a billing record" to
    get DSL anyway, you'd have to really want a VOIP setup to consider it in
    the first place. You already have a sunken cost just to get the service
    in the first place.
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 24, 2005
  17. Tony

    Richard Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Given that you need to have a phoneline, to "have a billing record" to
    > get DSL anyway, you'd have to really want a VOIP setup to consider it in
    > the first place. You already have a sunken cost just to get the service
    > in the first place.

    The billing record is bullshit now with UBS, as its all billed to the ISP. There
    is no reason they cant bill the ISP a few $ to cover the "cost" of "maintaining"
    the copper pair of theres. I put those in quotes because telecom would have to
    make those figures up since they dont spend much on maintaining there network,
    if they were to charge the true value it would be almost nothing.

    The fact is, I dont want a land line, loads of people I know dont want them, and
    as soon as getting rid of it is an option, then people will do so.

    Vodafone were pimping a solution at the small business show where you plug an
    ericsson GSM device into your analog phoneline, and calls that come into your
    line are routed out to your mobile free because its on the talkzone plan.

    I was asking the guy why I cant just buy a landline number off vodafone for the
    same price as the second gsm connection on talkzone. They couldnt give me a
    reason, but I think that will be the way of the future.
    Richard, Jul 24, 2005
  18. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:33:21 +1200, Nathan Mercer <> wrote:

    >>> True, you need "broadband" then - Anyone that markets their internet
    >>> service as "broadband" in NZ will suffice.
    >>> Yes I'm spoilt with Cable, still wish it was cheaper though.

    >> Well if your on one of the ones that craps out to 64k when you pass an
    >> amount, then you will find your phone service stops working properly, so

    >True, but you know what I mean. You're right tho 128k sucks as it is,
    >to have it drop down to 64k bothways is major suckage.
    >
    >> you are able to get a phone for a few days/weeks of the month on the
    >> wannabe broadband, unless you get the ip phone from the same company
    >> that supplies the internet like the former ihug/wired country plans
    >> where they are provisioned seperately. However they charged almost what
    >> telecom charged for the line making it largly pointless to move over.

    >Given that you need to have a phoneline, to "have a billing record" to
    >get DSL anyway, you'd have to really want a VOIP setup to consider it in
    >the first place. You already have a sunken cost just to get the service
    >in the first place.

    So this will work with the Saturn Cable..?
    Tony, Jul 24, 2005
  19. Tony wrote:

    > So this will work with the Saturn Cable..?

    Yes, thats what I'm using it with. No normal phoneline here, its a
    little weird paying 5c a minute to make "local" calls from Auckland to
    Wellington - the same price as calling US/AU/UK etc, but @ $10/month
    line rental it works out easily.
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 24, 2005
  20. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:00:18 +1200, Nathan Mercer <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    >
    >> So this will work with the Saturn Cable..?

    >Yes, thats what I'm using it with. No normal phoneline here, its a
    >little weird paying 5c a minute to make "local" calls from Auckland to
    >Wellington - the same price as calling US/AU/UK etc, but @ $10/month
    >line rental it works out easily.

    I am still completly baffled, you mention $10/month
    line rental.

    To me this does not compute..

    Can you please explain in more details..
    Tony, Jul 24, 2005