    Is this going to cause a problem? Can I install 32-bit applications into
    the 64-bit Program Files directory? I've been searching for a while now and
    have not received a definate yes/no answer.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RhY2s=?=, Aug 17, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3RhY2s=?=

    DKI Guest

    If there recient installers they should be able to tell the OS is X64 and
    put them into the Programs Files (X86) folder but i can't see any issues.
    but if they do install into the program files folder they should'nt cause
    any issues.

    Some apps or games installed into the programs files folder by default and
    worked so there should be no issues.

    Some i did try to force into the program files once to keep like all the
    game series in on folder under the manufucture and still got redirected into
    the Programs Files (X86) folder so thats something that could happen.

    DKI, Aug 17, 2005

  3. Better try it on a couple of test boxes.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 17, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U3RhY2s=?=

    zekolas Guest

    Well assumeing nearly 100% of the software out there is still 32 bit why
    not just change the "C:\Program Files" path to "C:\Program Files (x86)"?
    it shouldn't be that hard or am I missing something? I set up unattended
    installs all the time.

    zekolas, Aug 17, 2005
  5. Well, we are trying to do as little rewriting as possible. It's true that
    our programs are getting the "Program Files (x86)" directory if we manually
    install them, but our original setup for Win2k and XP are set for "Program
    Files". When you use these files for the unattended install, the path is
    hard coded, so the switch never happens.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RhY2s=?=, Aug 17, 2005