    should not share information at all!

    How is this possible on Windows XP Pro.

    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?R2liZ28=?=, Dec 12, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?R2liZ28=?=

    Malke Guest

    Gibgo wrote:

    > Good day
    > I need to know how is it possible to isolate certain PCs on the same
    > hub/switch. The 2 sets of groups can be on 2 different
    > domains/workgroups but should not share information at all!
    >
    > How is this possible on Windows XP Pro.

    Just make users and restrict network resources to the users you want.
    Turn off Simple Sharing so you can set the fine-grained permissions you
    need.

    HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP -

    User Management and Security in Windows XP -
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxppusrm.html

    Example for a Workgroup

    Computer A - users Bill and Tom
    Computer B - users Mary and Jill

    If Mary and Jill don't have user accounts on Computer A, they won't be
    able to access Computer A's shared resources.

    If you want to be even more elaborate, you can create user groups, too.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Dec 12, 2006

  3. Hi
    You can not configure two independent Networks on one regular switch/hub.
    So if they have to be on the same switch Malke solution is the way to go.
    Otherwise there are ways to create such a separation with Routers.
    I can not tell you what to do in specific since you did not provided
    detailed information.
    You can see the general principle here, http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 12, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?R2liZ28=?=

    David Hettel Guest

    It's not clear to me what you are asking. If you truly want one set of users
    totally isolated from another group of users you'll need two different LANs
    IMHO. You can't do that using just a hub. That basically means a
    knowledgeable user in one group trying to find out what a user in the other
    group is doing will not find it easy to do. If on the other hand you just
    want each group to have their own resources, and you're not worried about a
    user in one group trying to hack into the resources of the other group then
    Malke's suggestion will work. It really depends on the level of security you
    want, which is not clear to me from your post.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Dec 12, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?R2liZ28=?=

    Malke Guest

    Gibgo wrote:

    > Basically its an Internet Cafe with 2 admin PCs in back office with 4
    > PCs in front for users/browsers.
    >
    > The configuration is such
    > ADSL/Router Modem Netgear DG834G, will need to add another hub as the
    > Netgear Modem only has 4x 10/100 ports on it & there is a total of 6
    > PCs.
    >
    > Need to secure admin PCs from user/browser PCs. Security would be a
    > PRIORITY as a possible threat from a "user"(please note that users
    > will be logged in with "Limited Usage" under Windows XP user
    > protocols).
    >
    > There is no concern with regard to admin PCs being a threat.
    >
    > Hope this has more clarity.

    Yes, this makes all the difference in the world. Your admin PC's should
    be on a separate network entirely from the public computers. You will
    need to purchase more equipment and use a different subnet. The public
    computers should have file/printer sharing turned off and you may also
    want to look into using something like Deep Freeze from Faronics on
    them to return them to a completely pristine state every night.

    Malke
    Malke, Dec 13, 2006