    Enjoy!

    --
    -Stephen H. Westin

    Stephen H. Westin, Oct 14, 2004

  2. "Stephen H. Westin" <westin*> wrote in
    message news:...
    SNIP
    > Enjoy!

    Thanks for the effort.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Oct 14, 2004

  3. I think you are asking the impossible. How would you print it out? When you
    print it you will be checking the resolution of your printer...and then you
    will photograph it to see the resolution of your camera? I think you need to
    find a place to buy one.

    Gene Palmiter, Oct 14, 2004
  4. Stephen H. Westin

    Ryadia Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:
    > I think you are asking the impossible. How would you print it out? When you
    > print it you will be checking the resolution of your printer...and then you
    > will photograph it to see the resolution of your camera? I think you need to
    > find a place to buy one.

    The point is... This fellow went to the trouble of pointing to the
    source and adding it is a poor cousin to the real thing which costs
    several hunderd bucks.

    I printed it on my HP designjet 130 at an interpolated size of 200%. Now
    when I photograph this print, I can see the difference in resolution
    between an Olympus digicam and a 20D Canon with glaring detail.

    FWIW I think it's a simple way to check the resolution of a lens too.
    Certainly the Canon kit lens compared to a 120~300 f2.8 Sigma lens is
    noticable. I haven't checked the others in my kit but I will when I get
    time. This chart might not be the "real thing" but it is most definitely
    better than nothing - for nothing and... It has helped me to better
    understand 2 of my lenses!

    Ryadia

    Ryadia, Oct 14, 2004
  5. "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    > I think you are asking the impossible. How would you print it out?
    > When you print it you will be checking the resolution of your

    printer...
    > and then you will photograph it to see the resolution of your

    camera?
    > I think you need to find a place to buy one.

    Obviously (for those who've tried) the target needs to be printed at
    the maximum resolution the printer allows, at the indicated size, as
    all text and other bi-tonal line-art requires *much* higher
    resolution (1200+ ppi) than continuous tone does.

    A much easier/better target for pure resolution/MTF is a slanted edge
    pattern which is e.g. printed and only then rotated for imaging.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Oct 15, 2004
  6. "Ryadia" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > FWIW I think it's a simple way to check the resolution of a
    > lens too. Certainly the Canon kit lens compared to a 120~300
    > f2.8 Sigma lens is noticable. I haven't checked the others in my
    > kit but I will when I get time. This chart might not be the "real
    > thing" but it is most definitely better than nothing - for nothing
    > and... It has helped me to better understand 2 of my lenses!

    If you *really* want to get a grip on things like "optimal" aperture,
    best lens, camera shake or tripod quality, mirror slap, color
    accuracy, noise, etc., etc., I suggest http://www.imatest.com .

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Oct 15, 2004
  7. Worthwhile. Thanks!

    Charles Schuler, Oct 15, 2004
  8. "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote in message news:<416f08d8$0$48933$4all.nl>...
    > "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    > > I think you are asking the impossible. How would you print it out?
    > > When you print it you will be checking the resolution of your

    > printer...
    > > and then you will photograph it to see the resolution of your

    > camera?
    > > I think you need to find a place to buy one.

    > Obviously (for those who've tried) the target needs to be printed at
    > the maximum resolution the printer allows, at the indicated size, as
    > all text and other bi-tonal line-art requires *much* higher
    > resolution (1200+ ppi) than continuous tone does.
    >
    > A much easier/better target for pure resolution/MTF is a slanted edge
    > pattern which is e.g. printed and only then rotated for imaging.

    Why would that matter, when both the printer and the camera can
    interpolate black and white contingous lines accurately all day long
    anyway?

    The chart is the standard, he's right, because Bayer manufactures will
    knock off any reviewer who so much as thinks about publishing full
    color resolution test. They need a 300% setback vs color film and
    Foveon like they need a another faulty firmware release.

    George Preddy, Oct 16, 2004
  9. "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    > "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote in message

    SNIP
    > > A much easier/better target for pure resolution/MTF is a
    > > slanted edge pattern which is e.g. printed and only then
    > > rotated for imaging.

    > Why would that matter, when both the printer and the camera
    > can interpolate black and white contingous lines accurately all
    > day long anyway?

    Interpolation doesn't create resolution, and produces a lower
    modulation in an MTF. By aligning the edge with the printer driver's
    positioning raster grid, interpolation is avoided alltogether.

    What's more, the slanted edge methods allows to sub-sample beyond the
    Nyquist frequency, which allows to predict aliasing tendency. Other
    methods cannot distinguish between signal and alias.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Oct 16, 2004
  10. "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote in message news:<4170fa10$0$78279$4all.nl>...
    > "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    > > "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote in message

    > SNIP
    > > > A much easier/better target for pure resolution/MTF is a
    > > > slanted edge pattern which is e.g. printed and only then
    > > > rotated for imaging.

    > > Why would that matter, when both the printer and the camera
    > > can interpolate black and white contingous lines accurately all
    > > day long anyway?

    > Interpolation doesn't create resolution, and produces a lower
    > modulation in an MTF. By aligning the edge with the printer driver's
    > positioning raster grid, interpolation is avoided alltogether.
    >
    > What's more, the slanted edge methods allows to sub-sample beyond the
    > Nyquist frequency, which allows to predict aliasing tendency. Other
    > methods cannot distinguish between signal and alias.\

    You point is that it is junk.

    George Preddy, Oct 17, 2004
  11. "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > You point is that it is junk.

    ???
    You make no sense, as usual.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Oct 17, 2004
  12. Stephen H. Westin

    yankeedam Guest

    The Westin version of ISO 12233 would seem to contain buried
    instructions to print at "draft" resolution, making the output
    unacceptably gloppy on all known printers (except little letter-size
    machines which print only the center of the PDF). I have found a
    smaller PDF of the chart (93K instead of Westin's 211K or ISO's 611K),
    which I am attempting to get printed big. (I haven't got big money for
    such experiments.) Anybody with thoughts about this email me at
    . --David

    yankeedam, Dec 26, 2004
  13. Stephen H. Westin

    yankeedam Guest

    Egad, the dumb filter for this site just truncated my email address.
    For the three periods, substitute AMN. --David

    yankeedam, Dec 26, 2004