Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jack Yeazel, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. Jack Yeazel

    Jack Yeazel Guest

    Well, I've been looking for a reasonably-priced film scanner... Any suggestions
    from the group would be appreciated...

    In the process, I noticed a scanner at:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/FS4000/FS40PICS.HTM (where there is a VERY
    good and EXPENSIVE Canon scanner)... I found at the bottom of the pics a
    (3.6MB) file of the ($150) ISO camera resolution chart, which has been scanned
    by this scanner...

    I downloaded this file and experimented with printing it out on a new Epson C-82
    printer... The C-82, when printing an 8x10 (actually 9.5x7.5 inches), does in
    fact resolve the densest line group (20) which is 2,000 LW/PH
    (LineWidths/PictureHeight)... This is more than any digital camera can now
    resolve (my Fuji S602 resolves about 1,250) and I've seen as high as 1,600 on a
    professional digital camera...

    The old C-80 resolved the vertical but not the horizontal lines at "20"... (It
    took some careful adjustment of the print heads of the C-82, however, to get the
    2,000 LW/PH)... This becomes important when trying to print digital pictures at
    7x5 (actually 7x5.5) inches instead of 9.5x7.5... Most picture resizing
    programs like Photoshop will automatically increase the ppi (pixels per inch) so
    that the printer needs to be able to print about 2,500 LW/PH... I doubt that
    the C-82 can print this resolution...

    The question is: Does anyone know of a printer that can print to this
    resolution???

    Getting back to the above file, it took considerable experimenting to get the
    picture height tick marks exactly 200mm apart, but when they did print that way,
    I saved the file (which has been rotated 90° and trimmed slightly) so it would
    fit on an 8 1/2"x11" sheet of paper... It has oddball dimensions of (W=7.86",
    H=10.1", Resolution=478.529 ppi) preserved in the file (according to Photoshop
    Elements
    2)...

    I uploaded this file to my camera resolution site, so that anyone that downloads
    it, can print it (with the proper dimensions) and do camera resolution testing
    with it... http://www.gpsinformation.org/jack/photo-test/pics/iso-ra.jpg

    The originally scanned image doesn't have perfectly white spaces between the
    lines (at 20)... If it did, the printer could probably print more line widths
    per inch... I'm sure the original has perfectly white spaces between the lines;
    that's why it costs $150!... (The 800mm version of this chart costs $845)...

    JY

    Jack Yeazel, Aug 12, 2003