ISO AppleTalk Routing basics help

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jeff Mao, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. Jeff Mao

    Jeff Mao Guest

    We have a Catalyst 4006 switch with a routing module which connects to
    a bunch of managed cisco swicthes. We've recently split our network
    into multiple VLANs to isolate NetBoot traffic. As a result,
    obviously, our Appletalk printers are now in lots of different VLANs.
    Last year, we had one subnet, so all our appletalk printers were
    visible to the kids and teachers, and had no problems with that, so
    we're hoping to route Appletalk between the VLANs.

    We have 8 VLANs. In total, there are about 450-500 appletalk devices
    on the network.

    So, I'm looking for recommendations on the following:

    1) Should we create zones in order to manage the traffic or is this
    overkill? The simpler the better as far as the user-base is
    concerned,...I just don't want to create a routing nightmare that
    slows down the network or one with so many zones that kids have to
    hunt for the right printer.

    2) From the actual configuration side (I've only done this once before
    a few years ago on a very small network), without getting fancy, is
    this all I need?

    appletalk routing
    interface fa2/x
    appletalk cable-range y-z a.b
    appletalk zone Academic

    3) lastly, for cable-range y-z, am I correct in understanding that I
    should choose a range of at least 3 or 4 values (ie 10-13) because
    each number can represent 253 devices? And a.b is the static address
    I choose for the actual interface (ie 10.1 or 10.2?)

    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Jeff Mao, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Jeff Mao

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <>, Jeff Mao
    <> wrote:

    > We have a Catalyst 4006 switch with a routing module which connects to
    > a bunch of managed cisco swicthes. We've recently split our network
    > into multiple VLANs to isolate NetBoot traffic. As a result,
    > obviously, our Appletalk printers are now in lots of different VLANs.
    > Last year, we had one subnet, so all our appletalk printers were
    > visible to the kids and teachers, and had no problems with that, so
    > we're hoping to route Appletalk between the VLANs.
    >
    > We have 8 VLANs. In total, there are about 450-500 appletalk devices
    > on the network.

    So if your devices are evenly spread that's about 50-60 devices per
    VLAN - nowhere near 253 unless you have a large concentration
    somewhere, right?

    > So, I'm looking for recommendations on the following:
    >
    > 1) Should we create zones in order to manage the traffic or is this
    > overkill? The simpler the better as far as the user-base is
    > concerned,...I just don't want to create a routing nightmare that
    > slows down the network or one with so many zones that kids have to
    > hunt for the right printer.

    Zones and routing are orthogonal - zones are a user-level thing,
    routing is a network level thing. If it helps you to put things in
    different zones then do so. With up to 500 machines in one zone you
    might find that the background level of traffic gets quite high, but on
    a switched network you'll probably be OK.

    > 2) From the actual configuration side (I've only done this once before
    > a few years ago on a very small network), without getting fancy, is
    > this all I need?
    >
    > appletalk routing
    > interface fa2/x
    > appletalk cable-range y-z a.b
    > appletalk zone Academic

    Looks right except that if you use VLANs and layer 2 ("switchport")
    interfaces you'll want to apply the appletalk commands to the VLAN
    interfaces rather than the physical ones.

    > 3) lastly, for cable-range y-z, am I correct in understanding that I
    > should choose a range of at least 3 or 4 values (ie 10-13) because
    > each number can represent 253 devices?

    Unless you have more than 200+ machines on each VLAN/cable-range
    there's probably no point, and your numbers above suggest that you
    don't. For growth (in AppleTalk?!) you might want to not give your
    VLANs consecutive AppleTalk network numbers so you could expand the
    range easily without having to shuffle everything else around.

    > ... And a.b is the static address
    > I choose for the actual interface (ie 10.1 or 10.2?)

    or leave it as 10.0 or even 0.0 and let the router choose its own
    address.

    Sam
    Sam Wilson, Oct 22, 2003