=?iso-8859-1?q?VoIP_Gateway___=A319.99?=

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by misterroy, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. misterroy

    misterroy Guest

    misterroy, Mar 30, 2006

  2. misterroy

    Brian A Guest

    Re: VoIP Gateway £19.99

    On 30 Mar 2006 10:24:56 -0800, "misterroy" <>
    wrote:

    >http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=46125&doy=30m3
    >
    >worth it?
    >
    >cheers

    Not unless you want to keep your PC switched on all the time and be
    confined to using Skpe. It isn't real voip just 'toy' voip.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 30, 2006

  3. misterroy

    DMac Guest

    Re: VoIP Gateway £19.99

    > worth it?

    Looks like it is just a sound card style device - ie computer needs to be on
    for it to work.

    For less that twice the price you can get a "proper" unit that does
    everything in hardware - connects up via an ethernet
    port and you plug a 'phone into it

    DMac, Mar 31, 2006
  4. misterroy

    Alex Guest

    Re: VoIP Gateway £19.99

    "misterroy" <> wrote in message

    > http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=46125&doy=30m3
    >
    > worth it?
    >
    > cheers

    No. You might aswell buy a headset for a pound from your local pound shop.

    Get a proper ATA which doesn't need to be plugged into a switched on
    computer.

    Alex

    Alex, Mar 31, 2006
  5. misterroy

    misterroy Guest

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Re:_VoIP_Gateway_=A319.99?=

    thanks all
    roy

    misterroy, Mar 31, 2006
  6. misterroy

    misterroy wrote:
    > http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=46125&doy=30m3
    >
    > worth it?
    >
    > cheers

    I'd say it's worth it. It's exactly what I use, for the following
    reasons:

    1. It's cheap
    2. It allows you to use multiple providers from one telephone,
    depending on your softwares abilities, e.g if you use x-lite you can
    have up to 10 providers, specifying the code used to route via each
    provider
    3. You can use it with software other than skype by downloading the
    appropriate driver from www.yealink.com. e.g for x-Lite download
    xTenMate.

    The only thing is, you might not want your PC turned on all the time.
    In that case, get a "proper" ATA. I didn't bother because I couldn't
    find one that would let me do what I can with this device and x-Lite
    without costing a fortune. My PC is on all the time anyway.

    , Mar 31, 2006