Isn't Now the Time to Try a Linux Desktop?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tech, Jul 12, 2004.

  1. Tech

    Tech Guest

    By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
    July 9, 2004

    Worried sick about the latest rash of Internet Explorer security problems?
    I have the perfect solution for you, one that's even better than switching
    to Mozilla, Firefox or Opera. Switch operating systems: Go to Linux.

    No matter how much Microsoft supporters whine about how Linux and other
    operating systems have just as many bugs as their operating systems do, the
    bottom line is that the serious, gut-wrenching problems happen on Windows,
    not on Linux, not on Mac OS.

    __
    Tech, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Tech

    Alex B Guest

    As long as you're not a complete muppet and take proper measures, they
    shouldn't really be an issue. Trouble is, there's a lot of muppets out
    there.... As for linux, tried it (3 varients of), didn't like it. I like
    the whole open source thing, just couldn't get on with it.

    Alex B, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Tech

    Gordon Guest

    "Alex B" <> wrote in message
    > As long as you're not a complete muppet and take proper measures, they
    > shouldn't really be an issue. Trouble is, there's a lot of muppets out
    > there.... As for linux, tried it (3 varients of), didn't like it. I like
    > the whole open source thing, just couldn't get on with it.

    I have tried it, my main concern is that unfortunately, as yet, there is NO
    (AFAIK) package in Open Source that comes near the functionality of
    Excel......(AFAIK.....if anyone can prove me wrong, then I'll gladly
    change........)
    Gordon, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Tech

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, Gordon says...
    > "Alex B" <> wrote in message
    > > As long as you're not a complete muppet and take proper measures, they
    > > shouldn't really be an issue. Trouble is, there's a lot of muppets out
    > > there.... As for linux, tried it (3 varients of), didn't like it. I like
    > > the whole open source thing, just couldn't get on with it.
    > >

    > I have tried it, my main concern is that unfortunately, as yet, there is NO
    > (AFAIK) package in Open Source that comes near the functionality of
    > Excel......(AFAIK.....if anyone can prove me wrong, then I'll gladly
    > change........)

    There is a Linux app that matches Excel but its not Opensource and its
    far from cheap.

    --
    Conor

    Dumb as a box of rocks...
    Conor, Jul 12, 2004
  5. Tech

    Gordon Guest

    "Conor" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Gordon says...
    > > "Alex B" <> wrote in message
    > > > As long as you're not a complete muppet and take proper measures, they
    > > > shouldn't really be an issue. Trouble is, there's a lot of muppets

    out
    > > > there.... As for linux, tried it (3 varients of), didn't like it. I

    like
    > > > the whole open source thing, just couldn't get on with it.
    > > >

    > > I have tried it, my main concern is that unfortunately, as yet, there is

    NO
    > > (AFAIK) package in Open Source that comes near the functionality of
    > > Excel......(AFAIK.....if anyone can prove me wrong, then I'll gladly
    > > change........)

    > There is a Linux app that matches Excel but its not Opensource and its
    > far from cheap.

    Have you got a link?
    Gordon, Jul 12, 2004
  6. Tech

    DC Guest

    Tech wrote:

    [...]

    **** off.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Free your mind, and your OS will follow...
    DC, Jul 12, 2004
  7. Tech

    Me Guest

    Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols wrote:

    > Worried about the latest rash of Internet Explorer security problems?

    Not at all -- I don't use IE and my PC has a virus checker and firewall.

    > I have the perfect solution for you [snip] Go to Linux.

    Switching OSes because you're too lazy to protect your PC is like
    moving house because you're too lazy to install a good deadlock.
    Me, Jul 12, 2004
  8. Tech

    Duane Arnold Guest

    It's too ridiculous and you'll never learn will you. <g>

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 12, 2004
  9. Tech

    Tech Guest

    DC wrote:

    > Tech wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > **** off.

    I wasn't fucking you, but nowdays you probably couldn't tell who was.

    --
    __
    Tech, Jul 12, 2004
  10. begin On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:35:14 +1000, Me wrote:

    > Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols wrote:
    >
    >> Worried about the latest rash of Internet Explorer security problems?

    > Not at all -- I don't use IE and my PC has a virus checker and firewall.

    I have SuSE Firewall2, & a firewall on my router, but none of my systems
    need an anti-virus program. Another thing too, is they don't need
    defragging etc, unlike a windows machine.

    >> I have the perfect solution for you [snip] Go to Linux.

    > Switching OSes because you're too lazy to protect your PC is like
    > moving house because you're too lazy to install a good deadlock.

    But a lot of windows users don't protect their PC's properly, or use
    inferior AV products like Grisoft.

    --
    Out of disk space.
    Remove Windows?