[ISN] Symantec 'security scan' distributes rootkit

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Colonel Flagg, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/31752.html

    By Thomas C Greene in Washington

    "Symantec Security Check is a free web-based tool that enables users
    to test their computer's exposure to a wide range of on-line threats,"
    the press release begins. Unfortunately, Symantec Security Check has
    also been installing an on-line threat of its own in the form of a
    dangerous ActiveX control.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    Wanna ask a question in Usenet?

    Everything about Usenet answered:
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/answers.html

    America WILL NOT forget 9-11-01

    Colonel Flagg, Jul 17, 2003

  2. Colonel Flagg

    Lee Higdon Guest

    "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > By Thomas C Greene in Washington
    >
    > "Symantec Security Check is a free web-based tool that enables users
    > to test their computer's exposure to a wide range of on-line threats,"
    > the press release begins. Unfortunately, Symantec Security Check has
    > also been installing an on-line threat of its own in the form of a
    > dangerous ActiveX control.
    >

    > --
    > Colonel Flagg
    > http://www.internetwarzone.org/
    >
    > Privacy at a click:
    > http://www.cotse.net
    >
    > Wanna ask a question in Usenet?
    > http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    > Everything about Usenet answered:
    > http://www.internetwarzone.org/answers.html
    >
    > America WILL NOT forget 9-11-01

    This is old news. Symantec has had a fix in place. I removed the threat on
    my machines 8 July.

    Lee Higdon, Jul 17, 2003