    clicking a few OK buttons.

    I'm not getting down on iServe at all, I'm just curious. Anyone know
    what they might have?
    Rob King, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Rob King wrote:
    > I'm curious to know what is non-traditional about their environment.
    > In my experience, installing the framework properly on IIS involves
    > clicking a few OK buttons.

    > I'm not getting down on iServe at all, I'm just curious. Anyone know
    > what they might have?

    isnt there a Linux/Apache ".net" environment or something?
    mono?

    or am I confused.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 1, 2005

  3. Rob King

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:57:39 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Rob King wrote:
    >> I'm curious to know what is non-traditional about their environment. In
    >> my experience, installing the framework properly on IIS involves
    >> clicking a few OK buttons.

    >> I'm not getting down on iServe at all, I'm just curious. Anyone know
    >> what they might have?

    > isnt there a Linux/Apache ".net" environment or something? mono?
    >
    > or am I confused.

    There is (and yes it is called mono), but I'm pretty sure it can run
    ASP.NET stuff too. So that shouldn't be the reason why it won't work.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Mar 1, 2005
  4. Rob King

    SchoolTech Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    1 Mar 2005 13:13:13 -0800, Rob King <> says...
    > Last night I ported my web site to ASP.Net from static HTML and
    > uploaded it to my host at iServe. I immediately got a Server Error.
    > On querying it this morning with iServe, I was told that they have
    > .Net installed but as theirs isn't "a traditional microsoft
    > environment for handling the web content" ASP.Net doesn't work for
    > now.
    >
    > I'm curious to know what is non-traditional about their environment.
    > In my experience, installing the framework properly on IIS involves
    > clicking a few OK buttons.

    It probably means they are running on a desktop, as opposed to Windows
    Server and IIS.
    SchoolTech, Mar 1, 2005
  5. Rob King

    maz Guest

    I believe that they don't support .net as I have asked them whether they
    supported it before, and they said no they didn't.

    maz, Mar 2, 2005
  6. In article <>, (Rob King) wrote:
    *SNIP*
    >I'm curious to know what is non-traditional about their environment.
    >In my experience, installing the framework properly on IIS involves
    >clicking a few OK buttons.

    Their environment is almost exclusively Linux. This includes the
    backend storage on their Windows servers. Getting .NET to work across
    samba shares is non-trivial, which is why they say it's not a
    traditional Windows environment.

    >I'm not getting down on iServe at all, I'm just curious. Anyone know
    >what they might have?

    Lots of Linux. Three Windows servers, for the unenlightened, and the
    rest is Linux.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
    Matthew Poole, Mar 2, 2005
  7. Rob King

    Rob King Guest

    I did some asking at iServe and was told that their IIS boxes are
    genuine Windows boxes running .Net - so there's no Mono on Linux or
    anything like that.

    However, it occurred to me that when you connect with FTP to your site
    at iServe, you are connecting to a Linux/Unix server (that's what the
    FTP client tells me).

    Soooo this leads me to believe that the sites are hosted on
    Windows/IIS, but the actual file locations for the sites are on Samba.

    My guess is that's where the problem lies.

    Rob King, Mar 2, 2005
  8. "Rob King" <> wrote in message
    > Last night I ported my web site to ASP.Net from static HTML and
    > uploaded it to my host at iServe. I immediately got a Server Error.
    > On querying it this morning with iServe, I was told that they have
    > .Net installed but as theirs isn't "a traditional microsoft
    > environment for handling the web content" ASP.Net doesn't work for
    > now.
    >
    > I'm curious to know what is non-traditional about their environment.
    > In my experience, installing the framework properly on IIS involves
    > clicking a few OK buttons.
    >
    > I'm not getting down on iServe at all, I'm just curious. Anyone know
    > what they might have?

    Is this a commercial site? Are you a .Net developer?

    If this is a personal thing and you're a .Net developer, you could sign up
    with MSDN Connection, a Microsoft New Zealand program for developers. Part
    of the benefits is freet .Net hosting with SQL Server. Limited space, but if
    you're a developer. There's an approval process though.

    Are you open for suggestions on .Net hosting? IF so I can give one name.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    Mauricio Freitas, Mar 2, 2005
  9. Rob King

    SchoolTech Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp
    on 2 Mar 2005 00:53:30 -0800, Rob King <> says...
    > I did some asking at iServe and was told that their IIS boxes are
    > genuine Windows boxes running .Net - so there's no Mono on Linux or
    > anything like that.
    >
    > However, it occurred to me that when you connect with FTP to your site
    > at iServe, you are connecting to a Linux/Unix server (that's what the
    > FTP client tells me).
    >
    > Soooo this leads me to believe that the sites are hosted on
    > Windows/IIS, but the actual file locations for the sites are on Samba.
    >
    > My guess is that's where the problem lies.

    Some ISPs with low demand for ASP chose to implement a "halfway" version
    of it by installing the ASP services on a Windows desktop, rather than a
    full Windows Server with IIS, which is fairly expensive.

    NT/2k/XP can have up to 10 connections when used in this way.
    SchoolTech, Mar 2, 2005
  10. Rob King

    Rob King Guest

    "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message news:<422584b4$>...
    > "Rob King" <> wrote in message
    > > Last night I ported my web site to ASP.Net from static HTML and
    > > uploaded it to my host at iServe. I immediately got a Server Error.
    > > On querying it this morning with iServe, I was told that they have
    > > .Net installed but as theirs isn't "a traditional microsoft
    > > environment for handling the web content" ASP.Net doesn't work for
    > > now.
    > >
    > > I'm curious to know what is non-traditional about their environment.
    > > In my experience, installing the framework properly on IIS involves
    > > clicking a few OK buttons.
    > >
    > > I'm not getting down on iServe at all, I'm just curious. Anyone know
    > > what they might have?

    > Is this a commercial site? Are you a .Net developer?
    >
    > If this is a personal thing and you're a .Net developer, you could sign up
    > with MSDN Connection, a Microsoft New Zealand program for developers. Part
    > of the benefits is freet .Net hosting with SQL Server. Limited space, but if
    > you're a developer. There's an approval process though.
    >
    > Are you open for suggestions on .Net hosting? IF so I can give one name.

    I'm a .net developer hosting a couple of free apps I've written. I
    also need email hosting and stuff though so that's why I'm using
    iServe.
    Rob King, Mar 2, 2005
  11. Rob King

    maz Guest

    Are you still working for them?

    maz, Mar 3, 2005
  12. In article <1109821380.707940@ftpsrv1>, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
    >Are you still working for them?

    *SNIP*

    As of about 30 minutes ago, yes :)

    Matthew Poole, Mar 3, 2005
  13. "Rob King" <> wrote in message
    > "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    >> "Rob King" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Is this a commercial site? Are you a .Net developer?
    >>
    >> If this is a personal thing and you're a .Net developer, you could sign
    >> up
    >> with MSDN Connection, a Microsoft New Zealand program for developers.
    >> Part
    >> of the benefits is freet .Net hosting with SQL Server. Limited space, but
    >> if
    >> you're a developer. There's an approval process though.
    >>
    >> Are you open for suggestions on .Net hosting? IF so I can give one name.

    > I'm a .net developer hosting a couple of free apps I've written. I
    > also need email hosting and stuff though so that's why I'm using
    > iServe.

    I can strongly suggest Intellihost (a service from Iconz). They are not
    pricey, with a good entry level hosting (5MB unlimited data $10 or 30MB,
    unlimited data $20). They charge in 30 days cycle, unlike iServe (28 days).

    I have Geekzone with them, serving more than 3 million pages a month. In
    January we had two stories on Slashdot - on the same day!

    So, I can really recommend them - and no, I'm not associated except being a
    customer.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    http://www.geekmac.com
    Mauricio Freitas, Mar 3, 2005
  14. In article <>, SchoolTech <> wrote:
    >In article <> in nz.comp
    >on 2 Mar 2005 00:53:30 -0800, Rob King <> says...

    *SNIP*
    >Some ISPs with low demand for ASP chose to implement a "halfway" version
    >of it by installing the ASP services on a Windows desktop, rather than a
    >full Windows Server with IIS, which is fairly expensive.

    *SNIP*

    This is NOT what iServe are doing!

    Matthew Poole, Mar 4, 2005
  15. Rob King

    Enkidu Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:

    > Some ISPs with low demand for ASP chose to implement a
    > "halfway" version of it by installing the ASP services
    > on a Windows desktop, rather than a full Windows Server
    > with IIS, which is fairly expensive.
    >
    > NT/2k/XP can have up to 10 connections when used in this way.

    You'd not get ASP services without IIS.

    Besides, I don't know of any "ISP" except for some that run
    over ADSL and only aspire to the name that would do that.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 4, 2005
  16. Rob King

    Brendon Guest

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:

    > I can strongly suggest Intellihost (a service from Iconz). They are not
    > pricey, with a good entry level hosting (5MB unlimited data $10 or 30MB,
    > unlimited data $20). They charge in 30 days cycle, unlike iServe (28 days).
    >
    > I have Geekzone with them, serving more than 3 million pages a month. In
    > January we had two stories on Slashdot - on the same day!
    >
    > So, I can really recommend them - and no, I'm not associated except being a
    > customer.

    yeh, but they don't support Coldfusion....

    :-(
    Brendon, Mar 5, 2005
  17. "Brendon" <> wrote in message
    > Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    >
    >> I can strongly suggest Intellihost (a service from Iconz). They are not
    >> pricey, with a good entry level hosting (5MB unlimited data $10 or 30MB,
    >> unlimited data $20). They charge in 30 days cycle, unlike iServe (28
    >> days).
    >>
    >> I have Geekzone with them, serving more than 3 million pages a month. In
    >> January we had two stories on Slashdot - on the same day!
    >>
    >> So, I can really recommend them - and no, I'm not associated except being
    >> a customer.
    >>

    > yeh, but they don't support Coldfusion....
    >
    > :-(

    Well, the OP asked about .Net suppot :)

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    http://www.geekmac.com