    multiple devices. In this case we're only using one device, so that
    would be fine.
    , Jul 16, 2007

  2. <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:...
    > Is it possible to connect an ISDN router with an S/T interface to the
    > carrier network without an external NT1? From some reading I've done
    > it sounds like it's possible, you just lose the capability of using
    > multiple devices. In this case we're only using one device, so that
    > would be fine.

    Hi,

    If I remember right it is not possible because you can't connect an S/T
    device directly to an U reference point.

    Reference Points should be something like this: (Device)- S ----NT2---->
    T ------NT1------> U-(ISDN Switch)
    So I think you need an NT1

    Regards,
    Gabriele
    Gabriele Beltrame, Jul 16, 2007

  3. writes:
    >Is it possible to connect an ISDN router with an S/T interface to the
    >carrier network without an external NT1? From some reading I've done
    >it sounds like it's possible, you just lose the capability of using
    >multiple devices. In this case we're only using one device, so that
    >would be fine.

    How would you account for it going from 4 wires down to 2 wires?

    The answer would be not possible, you have an to have an NT1 somewhere.

    Maybe you can get an S/T handoff from something like an inhouse PBX,
    but in general, you'll only get the 2-wire U handoff from a telco in
    North America.

    What's wrong with having an external NT1 interface? You don't have to
    have it right in the same room..
    Doug McIntyre, Jul 16, 2007