ISDN & Cisco 804 (IOS 12.1)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by jecottrell65@gmail.com, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello All,

    First, apologies for total cluelessness on Cisco and ISDN in general.

    Second, I'm attempting to get an ISDN access up and running in a small
    town about an hour from where I live. The goal was to have an 'always
    on' connection for some monitoring equipment there in that remote
    location. And I wanted to be able to port forward into some hardware
    there (wireless router, embedded webservers, etc.)

    I had some success today and got the 804 up and running and achieved
    Internet connectivity. But in the process of I have learned several
    things, some I think may be fixable, others may not.

    Can I configure the 804 to be always on? i.e. not to timeout and close
    the connection?

    Can I configure the 804 to allow me to telnet into it for config
    changes from an outside phone line?

    I thought I had found enough info on NAT and port forwarding to get
    that working but apparently not. When I 'show ip interface' it doesn't
    respond with anything. After I 'ip nat inside source static tcp
    192.168.0.51 80 interface BRI0 8051' it won't appear when I 'show ip
    nat translations'. My goal is to be able to get to addresses on the LAN
    by going to the IP of the router from the Internet and adding a unique
    port. For instance:

    http://23.234.5.12:8051 would take me to 192.168.0.51 on the LAN.

    Things I've learned... each e'net port on the back of the 804 needs to
    be configured? individually.

    BRI0 is one of the phone lines? It gets its IP address from the ISP
    DHCP?

    IOS is very powerful, but very unforgiving of boneheads that have never
    used it before and the GUI tools that CISCO offers for the 804 are
    lacking.

    Can anyone offer some advice and answer my questions?

    Thanks,

    John
    , Sep 18, 2006

  2. Hi John,

    You may wish to investigate Cisco's 804 Configuring a Leased ISDN Line:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._guide_chapter09186a008007c96d.html#wp1021375

    Hope this helps.

    Brad Reese
    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-power-supply-inventory.htm
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    BradReese.Com - Cisco Salary and Compensation Rates
    http://www.bradreese.com/compensation-database.htm
    www.BradReese.Com, Sep 19, 2006

  3. Guest

    Brad,

    I had seen that in the manual and tried it. The link didn't work after
    I made those changes to the configuration. I tried both settings also.
    When I asked the Qwest people about 'leased line' they had never heard
    the term before! Remember, I'm not attempting to go from remote to
    remote, I'm trying to go from remote to qwest.net ISP servers.
    Essentially, it's just ISDN dial-up.

    Thanks for the pointer, the link to the huge 800 series manual will be
    of some help.

    John
    , Sep 19, 2006