ISDN Backup for OSPF

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Darren Green, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. Darren Green

    Darren Green Guest

    A client has a Frame-Relay network, Primary PVC's, Backup PVC's and ISDN
    backup (weighted static routes) are all in Area 0. The main PVC's are all
    point-to-point sub-interfaces back to their HQ. The routing tables are
    inefficient.

    We are looking into migrating them to MPLS with a separate DMVPN (ADSL) but
    two of the sites will have ADSL only with ISDN backup due to their small
    size.The plan is to use and 837 for the remote DMVPN use an existing 2600
    router for the remote ISDN backup.

    At the HQ my thoughts were:

    DMVPN (WAN side) = Area 1
    LAN side = Area 0 (to talk to the other HQ routers on the Frame Network in
    Area 0)

    The remote sites 837

    DMVPN = Area 1
    2600 ISDN Backup Area = 1

    A DMVPN in area 1 would surely allow me to run Area 1 as a Totally Stubby
    area, thus reducing the routing table size on the edge router. I will then
    run HSRP on the 837 & 2600 and track the ATM interface. Assuming failure I
    want the ISDN to fire up and dial into the HQ.

    My reading suggests that the ISDN at the remote site needs a corresponding
    Dialler Interface (HQ) in the same Area. If this is the case how would the
    remote router know to dial the ISDN if the DMVPN fails?

    A Totally Stubby Area injects the default route *IA 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 into
    Area 1. So assuming I have a route on my 837 saying 'ip route 0.0.0.0
    0.0.0.0 BRI_LAN_ROUTER_IP' would this work. I assume that the static default
    route would only be placed in the routing table if the OSPF injected route
    fails.

    Regards

    Darren

    Darren Green, Oct 20, 2005

  2. Darren Green

    Merv Guest

    > My reading suggests that the ISDN at the remote site needs a corresponding
    > Dialler Interface (HQ) in the same Area. If this is the case how would the
    > remote router know to dial the ISDN if the DMVPN fails?

    check out the Dialer Watch feature

    Merv, Oct 20, 2005

  3. Darren Green

    Darren Green Guest

    Merv,

    Thanks for the reply.

    I have heard of dialer watch and seen expamples of it used. Never thought to
    use it though : )

    Regards

    Darren

    Darren Green, Oct 20, 2005