    Blu-ray movies on a computer. Don't be surprised, if watching a video
    will exceed your current system specs."

    , Sep 8, 2006

  2. Mark Jones Guest

    wrote:
    > This is a very interesting article put up on TGdaily, it covers the
    > high system spec demands of HD-DVD and Blueray playback. It also links
    > out to a cool program that will analyze your system and tell you if
    > your system is ready for the new technology or if you better start
    > shopping for a new PC.
    >
    > Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/08/hd_ready_pc/
    >
    > "Cyberlink published a free "advisor" tool that provides some details
    > on system details and if they are powerful enough to run HD-DVD or
    > Blu-ray movies on a computer. Don't be surprised, if watching a video
    > will exceed your current system specs."

    I went to http://www.cyberlink.com/ and downloaded their test tool.
    My computer is more powerful than most but it still doesn't pass
    the tests. The adoption rate for either if these new formats is
    going to be real low for a long time when people can't even use
    them in a relatively high-end PC.

    I do not intend to replace my PC for at least 2 years because it
    is an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ with 1GB of RAM and 320 GB HD.
    These specs are still not enough to get the job done. The entry
    level for these new disks is simply too high for me to be
    interested.

    Mark Jones, Sep 8, 2006

  3. AZ Nomad Guest

    On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:27:49 GMT, Mark Jones <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> This is a very interesting article put up on TGdaily, it covers the
    >> high system spec demands of HD-DVD and Blueray playback. It also links
    >> out to a cool program that will analyze your system and tell you if
    >> your system is ready for the new technology or if you better start
    >> shopping for a new PC.
    >>
    >> Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/08/hd_ready_pc/
    >>
    >> "Cyberlink published a free "advisor" tool that provides some details
    >> on system details and if they are powerful enough to run HD-DVD or
    >> Blu-ray movies on a computer. Don't be surprised, if watching a video
    >> will exceed your current system specs."

    >I went to http://www.cyberlink.com/ and downloaded their test tool.
    >My computer is more powerful than most but it still doesn't pass
    >the tests. The adoption rate for either if these new formats is
    >going to be real low for a long time when people can't even use
    >them in a relatively high-end PC.

    >I do not intend to replace my PC for at least 2 years because it
    >is an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ with 1GB of RAM and 320 GB HD.
    >These specs are still not enough to get the job done. The entry
    >level for these new disks is simply too high for me to be
    >interested.

    I find that really hard to believe. A 350mhz P2 is enough to handle dvd video;
    a 1.5ghz p4 is four times the processor. I can't believe a 2.5-3.0 ghz p4
    would have any problem at all on hddvd or BR.

    Perhaps cyberlink is assuming that microsoft vista will be such a steaming
    pile of shit that it'll need 6 ghz of processor(s) just to handle the file and
    video requirements.

    AZ Nomad, Sep 8, 2006
  4. Alpha Guest

    "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:27:49 GMT, Mark Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:
    >>> This is a very interesting article put up on TGdaily, it covers the
    >>> high system spec demands of HD-DVD and Blueray playback. It also links
    >>> out to a cool program that will analyze your system and tell you if
    >>> your system is ready for the new technology or if you better start
    >>> shopping for a new PC.
    >>>
    >>> Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/08/hd_ready_pc/
    >>>
    >>> "Cyberlink published a free "advisor" tool that provides some details
    >>> on system details and if they are powerful enough to run HD-DVD or
    >>> Blu-ray movies on a computer. Don't be surprised, if watching a video
    >>> will exceed your current system specs."

    >>I went to http://www.cyberlink.com/ and downloaded their test tool.
    >>My computer is more powerful than most but it still doesn't pass
    >>the tests. The adoption rate for either if these new formats is
    >>going to be real low for a long time when people can't even use
    >>them in a relatively high-end PC.

    >>I do not intend to replace my PC for at least 2 years because it
    >>is an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ with 1GB of RAM and 320 GB HD.
    >>These specs are still not enough to get the job done. The entry
    >>level for these new disks is simply too high for me to be
    >>interested.

    > I find that really hard to believe. A 350mhz P2 is enough to handle dvd
    > video;
    > a 1.5ghz p4 is four times the processor. I can't believe a 2.5-3.0 ghz p4
    > would have any problem at all on hddvd or BR.
    >
    > Perhaps cyberlink is assuming that microsoft vista will be such a steaming
    > pile of shit that it'll need 6 ghz of processor(s) just to handle the file
    > and
    > video requirements.

    Not at all. The number of pixels to be displayed per frame is HUGE with HD.

    Alpha, Sep 9, 2006
  5. Mark Jones Guest

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > I find that really hard to believe. A 350mhz P2 is enough to handle
    > dvd video; a 1.5ghz p4 is four times the processor. I can't believe
    > a 2.5-3.0 ghz p4 would have any problem at all on hddvd or BR.
    >
    > Perhaps cyberlink is assuming that microsoft vista will be such a
    > steaming pile of shit that it'll need 6 ghz of processor(s) just to
    > handle the file and video requirements.

    It would appear that they have come up with a format that requires
    even more computer power than most high end game computers
    have. Most home users do not have a need for a computer as
    powerful as what I have and it still can't get the job done.

    Most people are running applications that do not need anything
    more than a 2 GHz P4. There is no way that they are going to
    replace their PC in order to play a movie.

    Even the video card that they are specifying is more than Doom 3
    needs and it really needs a fast card. I think that the launch of
    these new formats is going to take a very long time before
    the numbers amount to hardly anything.

    Cyberlink already has a software player for both formats and
    it would seem that the specs they have listed is what their
    software needs in order to work properly. They also expect
    you to have a high end monitor in order to get the full effect.

    http://www.cyberlink.com/english/support/bdhd_support/system_requirement.jsp

    Mark Jones, Sep 9, 2006
  6. AZ Nomad Guest

    On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:07:16 -0700, Alpha <> wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:27:49 GMT, Mark Jones <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>I went to http://www.cyberlink.com/ and downloaded their test tool.
    >>>My computer is more powerful than most but it still doesn't pass
    >>>the tests. The adoption rate for either if these new formats is
    >>>going to be real low for a long time when people can't even use
    >>>them in a relatively high-end PC.

    >>>I do not intend to replace my PC for at least 2 years because it
    >>>is an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ with 1GB of RAM and 320 GB HD.
    >>>These specs are still not enough to get the job done. The entry
    >>>level for these new disks is simply too high for me to be
    >>>interested.

    >> I find that really hard to believe. A 350mhz P2 is enough to handle dvd
    >> video;
    >> a 1.5ghz p4 is four times the processor. I can't believe a 2.5-3.0 ghz p4
    >> would have any problem at all on hddvd or BR.
    >>
    >> Perhaps cyberlink is assuming that microsoft vista will be such a steaming
    >> pile of shit that it'll need 6 ghz of processor(s) just to handle the file
    >> and
    >> video requirements.

    >Not at all. The number of pixels to be displayed per frame is HUGE with HD.

    That would explain why HDTV games are impossible.

    NOT.

    AZ Nomad, Sep 9, 2006
  7. NoNoBadDog! Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > This is a very interesting article put up on TGdaily, it covers the
    > high system spec demands of HD-DVD and Blueray playback. It also links
    > out to a cool program that will analyze your system and tell you if
    > your system is ready for the new technology or if you better start
    > shopping for a new PC.
    >
    > Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/08/hd_ready_pc/
    >
    > "Cyberlink published a free "advisor" tool that provides some details
    > on system details and if they are powerful enough to run HD-DVD or
    > Blu-ray movies on a computer. Don't be surprised, if watching a video
    > will exceed your current system specs."

    And if you had bothered to do any research, you would have know that it is
    totally useless. The first version flagged all AMD processors as not ready
    (which is completely bogus), and even now flags those models shipping with
    Blue Ray drives as not being ready.

    This app is totally worthless, not even worth the time or trouble to
    download it.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Sep 9, 2006
  8. JoeBloe Guest

    On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:27:49 GMT, "Mark Jones"
    <> Gave us:

    >I went to http://www.cyberlink.com/ and downloaded their test tool.
    >My computer is more powerful than most but it still doesn't pass
    >the tests. The adoption rate for either if these new formats is
    >going to be real low for a long time when people can't even use
    >them in a relatively high-end PC.
    >
    >I do not intend to replace my PC for at least 2 years because it
    >is an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ with 1GB of RAM and 320 GB HD.
    >These specs are still not enough to get the job done. The entry
    >level for these new disks is simply too high for me to be
    >interested.

    It is stupid. It said that I do not have an HDCP compliant display
    and I do!

    It put up a yellow flag on my CPU and it is a dual core AMD X2!

    LAME... very lame.

    JoeBloe, Sep 9, 2006
  9. Alpha Guest

    "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:07:16 -0700, Alpha <> wrote:
    >

    >>"AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message

    >>> I find that really hard to believe. A 350mhz P2 is enough to handle dvd
    >>> video;
    >>> a 1.5ghz p4 is four times the processor. I can't believe a 2.5-3.0 ghz
    >>> p4
    >>> would have any problem at all on hddvd or BR.
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps cyberlink is assuming that microsoft vista will be such a
    >>> steaming
    >>> pile of shit that it'll need 6 ghz of processor(s) just to handle the
    >>> file
    >>> and
    >>> video requirements.

    >>Not at all. The number of pixels to be displayed per frame is HUGE with
    >>HD.

    > That would explain why HDTV games are impossible.
    >
    > NOT.

    NOT

    Alpha, Sep 9, 2006
  10. You wrote:

    > This is a very interesting article put up on TGdaily, it covers the
    > high system spec demands of HD-DVD and Blueray playback. It also links
    > out to a cool program that will analyze your system and tell you if
    > your system is ready for the new technology or if you better start
    > shopping for a new PC.
    >
    > Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/08/hd_ready_pc/
    >
    > "Cyberlink published a free "advisor" tool that provides some details
    > on system details and if they are powerful enough to run HD-DVD or
    > Blu-ray movies on a computer. Don't be surprised, if watching a video
    > will exceed your current system specs."

    The primary problem will be that almost NO current video cards are HDCP-
    compliant, and Vista will not play back HDCP content on them.

    Alotta Fagina, Sep 9, 2006
  11. AZ Nomad Guest

    On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 19:37:41 -0700, Alpha <> wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:07:16 -0700, Alpha <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message

    >>>Not at all. The number of pixels to be displayed per frame is HUGE with
    >>>HD.

    >> That would explain why HDTV games are impossible.
    >>
    >> NOT.

    >NOT

    Pull your head out of your ass. Games running at HDTV resolution are as
    common as dirt.

    AZ Nomad, Sep 9, 2006
  12. Alpha Guest

    "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 19:37:41 -0700, Alpha <> wrote:
    >

    >>"AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message

    >>> That would explain why HDTV games are impossible.
    >>>
    >>> NOT.

    >>NOT

    > Pull your head out of your ass. Games running at HDTV resolution are as
    > common as dirt.

    What I meant was you analogy was wrong. Games have no relationship here,
    fool.

    Alpha, Sep 9, 2006
  13. JoeBloe Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 05:12:26 GMT, AZ Nomad <>
    Gave us:

    >On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 13:08:42 -0700, JoeBloe <> wrote:
    >> It is not about the processing power required. It IS about the data
    >>stream requisites.

    >Then I suggest you dump your ISA based computer and get something
    >with a PCI bus or newer. Then you'll have plenty of bandwidth.

    You're an idiot. ISA went out years ago. So your petty little
    remark has zero meaning.

    >> Oh and with software (CPU) decoding, it can easily be argued that
    >>the new formats do indeed require more CPU power to render each frame
    >>than a simple hi res game per frame rate.

    >Sure, but any current $300 PC can do the job and is probably overkill. Time to
    >trade in your P2.

    No, the "current $300 PC" cannot "do the job", and is NOT "overkill.
    It is more like"insufficient".

    Not running a P2 and haven't been for years, idiot.
    I have a dual core SLI machine. Try again, smartass. Strike that.
    Make it LARDASS.

    JoeBloe, Sep 10, 2006
  14. ThePunisher Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    > "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 19:37:41 -0700, Alpha <> wrote:
    > >

    > > > "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message

    > > > NOT

    > > Pull your head out of your ass. Games running at HDTV resolution
    > > are as common as dirt.

    > What I meant was you analogy was wrong. Games have no relationship
    > here, fool.

    Well you're correct there, it takes more processing power to run cames at HD
    resolutions than it does to watch HD video.

    --
    ThePunisher

    ThePunisher, Sep 10, 2006
  15. JoeBloe Guest

    On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 02:42:57 GMT, Alotta Fagina <>
    Gave us:

    >You wrote:
    >
    >> This is a very interesting article put up on TGdaily, it covers the
    >> high system spec demands of HD-DVD and Blueray playback. It also links
    >> out to a cool program that will analyze your system and tell you if
    >> your system is ready for the new technology or if you better start
    >> shopping for a new PC.
    >>
    >> Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/08/hd_ready_pc/
    >>
    >> "Cyberlink published a free "advisor" tool that provides some details
    >> on system details and if they are powerful enough to run HD-DVD or
    >> Blu-ray movies on a computer. Don't be surprised, if watching a video
    >> will exceed your current system specs."

    >The primary problem will be that almost NO current video cards are HDCP-
    >compliant, and Vista will not play back HDCP content on them.

    Mine got a green light just fine. You might want to change that
    remark to "drivers".

    JoeBloe, Sep 10, 2006
  16. JoeBloe Guest

    On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 21:11:53 -0700, "Alpha" <> Gave us:

    >"AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 19:37:41 -0700, Alpha <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message

    >>>NOT

    >> Pull your head out of your ass. Games running at HDTV resolution are as
    >> common as dirt.

    >What I meant was you analogy was wrong. Games have no relationship here,
    >fool.

    Yes. He does not seem to understand the concept of a "datagram".
    The stream size on this level of video is far greater than some lame
    game's frame for frame rate could ever be.

    JoeBloe, Sep 10, 2006
  17. JoeBloe Guest

    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:42:23 GMT, "ThePunisher"
    <> Gave us:

    JoeBloe, Sep 10, 2006
  18. AZ Nomad Guest

    AZ Nomad, Sep 11, 2006
  19. Alpha Guest

    "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 13:08:42 -0700, JoeBloe
    > <> wrote:
    >> It is not about the processing power required. It IS about the data
    >>stream requisites.

    > Then I suggest you dump your ISA based computer and get something
    > with a PCI bus or newer. Then you'll have plenty of bandwidth.
    >

    >> Oh and with software (CPU) decoding, it can easily be argued that
    >>the new formats do indeed require more CPU power to render each frame
    >>than a simple hi res game per frame rate.

    > Sure, but any current $300 PC can do the job and is probably overkill.
    > Time to
    > trade in your P2.

    You are an idiot. The previous poster is absolutely right.

    Alpha, Sep 11, 2006
  20. AZ Nomad Guest

    AZ Nomad, Sep 11, 2006