    without attachment in Yahoo! Mail i.e. is Yahoo!Mail sending format - html
    or plain text? Excuse my such illiteracy.

    TIA

    ZaMir, May 2, 2004

  2. ZaMir

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "ZaMir" <> wrote in message
    news:c72b9b$head1$-berlin.de...

    > Hi all
    >
    > Please can someone enlighten me - whether I can be infected if open email
    > without attachment in Yahoo! Mail i.e. is Yahoo!Mail sending format - html
    > or plain text? Excuse my such illiteracy.
    >
    > TIA

    Yahoo Mail doesn't "send" you mail, it keeps what someone else sends, and
    you pick it up there...like a post office. The guy behind the counter didn't
    write the letters you get, he just holds them there until you pick them up.

    BUT mail sent to you in HTML is visible in Yahoo as HTML, and mail sent to
    you as text only is visible in Yahoo as text only. While the chances of
    getting infected from HTML may not beas large as from scr files and other
    attachments, it is an issue. So, bottom line, keep you antivirus files up to
    date.

    Toolman Tim, May 2, 2004

  3. ZaMir

    ZaMir Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote in message

    "ZaMir" <> wrote in message

    > Hi all
    >
    > Please can someone enlighten me - whether I can be infected if open email
    > without attachment in Yahoo! Mail i.e. is Yahoo!Mail sending format - html
    > or plain text? Excuse my such illiteracy.
    >
    > TIA

    < snip>

    "BUT mail sent to you in HTML is visible in Yahoo as HTML, and mail sent to
    you as text only is visible in Yahoo as text only. "

    How can I know whether mail sent to me in Yahoo is in HTML or plain text?

    TIA

    ZaMir, May 2, 2004
  4. ZaMir

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "ZaMir" <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    > "ZaMir" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > Please can someone enlighten me - whether I can be infected if open

    email
    > > without attachment in Yahoo! Mail i.e. is Yahoo!Mail sending format -

    html
    > > or plain text? Excuse my such illiteracy.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >

    > < snip>
    >
    > "BUT mail sent to you in HTML is visible in Yahoo as HTML, and mail sent

    > you as text only is visible in Yahoo as text only. "
    >
    > How can I know whether mail sent to me in Yahoo is in HTML or plain text?
    >
    > TIA

    Mostly it's a visual thing. If you have only plain words, no colors,
    pictures, etc., then you probably have plain text. But if you have HTML it
    doesn't always show either.

    Yahoo DOES allow you to view all headers (which will tell you if it's HTML
    or text only in the "content-type field), but by then it's too late - the
    email has already been opened.

    Toolman Tim, May 2, 2004
  5. ZaMir

    trout Guest

    ZaMir wrote:

    > "Toolman Tim" <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    > "ZaMir" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> Please can someone enlighten me - whether I can be infected if open
    >> email without attachment in Yahoo! Mail i.e. is Yahoo!Mail sending
    >> format - html or plain text? Excuse my such illiteracy.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    > < snip>
    >
    > "BUT mail sent to you in HTML is visible in Yahoo as HTML, and mail
    > sent to you as text only is visible in Yahoo as text only. "
    >
    > How can I know whether mail sent to me in Yahoo is in HTML or plain
    > text?
    >
    > TIA

    If you're reading it in Outlook Express; go to Tools; Options; Read
    tab, and check "Read all messages in plain text". Then, it won't matter.
    --
    "You should also update your version of OE for 'better' security."

    trout, May 3, 2004
  6. ZaMir

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > ZaMir wrote:
    >
    > > "Toolman Tim" <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "ZaMir" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Hi all
    > >>
    > >> Please can someone enlighten me - whether I can be infected if open
    > >> email without attachment in Yahoo! Mail i.e. is Yahoo!Mail sending
    > >> format - html or plain text? Excuse my such illiteracy.
    > >>
    > >> TIA
    > >>

    > > < snip>
    > >
    > > "BUT mail sent to you in HTML is visible in Yahoo as HTML, and mail
    > > sent to you as text only is visible in Yahoo as text only. "
    > >
    > > How can I know whether mail sent to me in Yahoo is in HTML or plain
    > > text?
    > >
    > > TIA

    > If you're reading it in Outlook Express; go to Tools; Options; Read
    > tab, and check "Read all messages in plain text". Then, it won't matter.
    > --
    > "You should also update your version of OE for 'better' security."

    Excuse me, the poster is asking about reading his email *in* Yahoo...he's
    doing his newsgroup in OE. (No biggie...just didn't want the OP more
    confused that he already is <g>)

    Toolman Tim, May 3, 2004
  7. ZaMir

    trout Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> ZaMir wrote:

    <snip>

    >>> How can I know whether mail sent to me in Yahoo is in HTML or plain
    >>> text?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> If you're reading it in Outlook Express; go to Tools; Options;
    >> Read tab, and check "Read all messages in plain text". Then, it
    >> won't matter.
    >>

    > Excuse me, the poster is asking about reading his email *in*
    > Yahoo...he's doing his newsgroup in OE. (No biggie...just didn't want
    > the OP more confused that he already is <g>)

    Well, I *did* say "if". And, if I'm not mistaken, Yahoo offers POP3
    access to mail for paid accounts, as well as on basic accounts for some
    of our (tino) fortunate European correspondents. I *did* mean "if".
    --
    "I could be wrong. But if you mention it, I'll kill you."

    trout, May 3, 2004
  8. ZaMir

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    > > "trout" <> wrote in message
    > >> ZaMir wrote:

    > <snip>

    > >> If you're reading it in Outlook Express; go to Tools; Options;
    > >> Read tab, and check "Read all messages in plain text". Then, it
    > >> won't matter.
    > >>

    > > Excuse me, the poster is asking about reading his email *in*
    > > Yahoo...he's doing his newsgroup in OE. (No biggie...just didn't want
    > > the OP more confused that he already is <g>)

    > Well, I *did* say "if". And, if I'm not mistaken, Yahoo offers POP3
    > access to mail for paid accounts, as well as on basic accounts for some
    > of our (tino) fortunate European correspondents. I *did* mean "if".
    > --
    > "I could be wrong. But if you mention it, I'll kill you."

    True...sorry I missed that. And the POP3 thing would be nice...but I'm too
    broke to pay for it <g>

    Toolman Tim, May 4, 2004
  9. ZaMir

    ZaMir Guest

    Based on only message subject in Yahoo! Mail can I know whether a message is
    in HTML or plain text format?
    Thank you very much for you patience.

    ZaMir, May 6, 2004
  10. ZaMir

    trout Guest

    ZaMir wrote:

    > Based on only message subject in Yahoo! Mail can I know whether a
    > message is in HTML or plain text format?
    > Thank you very much for you patience.

    No. Not by the subject line. They mean vitually nothing, as anything
    can be written there; and especially since spammers and virus-writers
    specifically create innocent/legitimate-sounding subjects to entice
    people to open them.
    If you state what your Operating System is, and what you are using
    to actually view the mail (is it your web-browser? a mail pragram?),
    people may be able to give you some ideas of how to make your system
    more secure, so that the format doesn't matter.
    --
    "A full description of the problem is usually the best way to find a
    solution."

    trout, May 6, 2004
  11. ZaMir

    ZaMir Guest

    My OS is W95 using IE 5.5/ OE 5.5. Free Yahoo! Mail is my alternative email
    account. I feel unsecured to open some msg's from Inbox in Yahoo! Mail
    because I do not know whether that msg. is in HTML or plain text format i.e.
    whether I can be infected by that or not.

    ZaMir, May 6, 2004
  12. ZaMir

    Rifleman Guest

    "ZaMir" <> wrote in message

    > My OS is W95 using IE 5.5/ OE 5.5. Free Yahoo! Mail is my alternative

    email
    > account. I feel unsecured to open some msg's from Inbox in Yahoo! Mail
    > because I do not know whether that msg. is in HTML or plain text format

    i.e.
    > whether I can be infected by that or not.

    Presumably you have an up-to-date anti Virus program running?

    Rifleman, May 6, 2004
  13. ZaMir

    ZaMir Guest

    Apart from up-to-date anti Virus program running or not running my essential
    question is the following:
    Can I and how set Yahoo! Mail to receive messages only in plain text format?

    "Rifleman" <> wrote in message

    ZaMir, May 7, 2004
  14. ZaMir

    Toolman Tim Guest

    You can't. Get used to it. Especially since it looks like you used your real
    e-mail address, and is now posted in all kind of public places - the
    spammers are gonna be paying extra attention to you!

    Address Munging
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/spam-faq/

    Toolman Tim, May 8, 2004
  15. ZaMir

    ZaMir Guest

    Please you comment and advice. My ISP does not accept munged address. This
    address is my alternative free mail address. Can I do anything better?

    ZaMir, May 8, 2004
  16. > Apart from up-to-date anti Virus program running or not running my essential
    > question is the following:
    > Can I and how set Yahoo! Mail to receive messages only in plain text format?

    You can use a third-party filtering service like SpamCop:

    http://mail.spamcop.net/individuals.php

    > My OS is W95 using IE 5.5/ OE 5.5. Free Yahoo! Mail is my alternative
    > email account.

    Are you using Yahoo's POP service and Microsoft Outlook? Upgrade to a
    standards-compliant e-mail client that doesn't execute Microsoft worms:

    http://www.mozilla.org/

    > I feel unsecured to open some msg's from Inbox in Yahoo! Mail
    > because I do not know whether that msg. is in HTML or plain text format
    > i.e. whether I can be infected by that or not.

    If you're using the Yahoo Web-based interface, you can block the junk
    messages.

    To block images in HTML messages:
    "Mail Options | General Preferences | Block HTML graphics in email
    messages from being downloaded."

    Use the spam filtering: "Mail Options | Spam Protection"

    If you still don't like opening your filtered e-mail because of your
    Microsoft security worries:

    http://www.lycoris.com/products/
    http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/
    http://www.suse.com/en/private/products/suse_linux/
    http://www.xandros.com/

    Alexander Rogge, May 8, 2004
  17. ZaMir

    Toolman Tim Guest

    It looks like you're using Individual.Net and you may be right about the
    email address issue. But they will allow you to use or
    me*@privacy.net (* is a number from 0 to 9) which is allowed use by
    privacy.net. Read this http://www.privacy.net/email/ and then change it in
    your newsreader.

    See if that works. I know you hate the spam as much as I do, or you wouldn't
    be worrying about your inbox at Yahoo.

    Toolman Tim, May 8, 2004
  18. ZaMir

    Boomer Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> did say:

    > It looks like you're using Individual.Net and you may be right
    > about the email address issue. But they will allow you to use
    > or me*@privacy.net (* is a number from 0 to 9)
    > which is allowed use by privacy.net. Read this
    > http://www.privacy.net/email/ and then change it in your
    > newsreader.
    >
    > See if that works. I know you hate the spam as much as I do, or
    > you wouldn't be worrying about your inbox at Yahoo.

    They have recently changed this page. Just a little FYI for you and
    ZaMir. Seems they have loosened up a bit.

    http://individual.net/faq.html#5.3

    Boomer, May 8, 2004
  19. Boomer wrote:

    > "Toolman Tim" <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> did say:
    >

    >>It looks like you're using Individual.Net and you may be right
    >>about the email address issue. But they will allow you to use
    >> or me*@privacy.net (* is a number from 0 to 9)
    >>which is allowed use by privacy.net. Read this
    >>http://www.privacy.net/email/ and then change it in your
    >>newsreader.
    >>
    >>See if that works. I know you hate the spam as much as I do, or
    >>you wouldn't be worrying about your inbox at Yahoo.

    > They have recently changed this page. Just a little FYI for you and
    > ZaMir. Seems they have loosened up a bit.
    >
    > http://individual.net/faq.html#5.3

    They have done, I suspect, because all me@privacy mail is
    now bouced. Here is a reply I received on the subject from
    the privacy administrator, a week or so ago:

    "I had to shut it down due to spam and viruses. Use any
    address under the domain as it won’t work."

    As a result of this, I changed my me@privacy address to
    a valid one, in order to comply with individual.net rules.

    I also wrote to individual to ask for them to reconsider
    their policy and allow invalid addresses.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 8, 2004
  20. ZaMir

    Boomer Guest

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?= <> did say:

    > Boomer wrote:
    >
    >> "Toolman Tim" <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> did say:
    >>

    >>>It looks like you're using Individual.Net and you may be right
    >>>about the email address issue. But they will allow you to use
    >>> or me*@privacy.net (* is a number from 0 to 9)
    >>>which is allowed use by privacy.net. Read this
    >>>http://www.privacy.net/email/ and then change it in your
    >>>newsreader.
    >>>
    >>>See if that works. I know you hate the spam as much as I do, or
    >>>you wouldn't be worrying about your inbox at Yahoo.

    >> They have recently changed this page. Just a little FYI for you
    >> and ZaMir. Seems they have loosened up a bit.
    >>
    >> http://individual.net/faq.html#5.3

    > They have done, I suspect, because all me@privacy mail is
    > now bouced. Here is a reply I received on the subject from
    > the privacy administrator, a week or so ago:
    >
    > "I had to shut it down due to spam and viruses. Use any
    > address under the domain as it won’t work."

    So everyone who uses the privacy net addresses shouldn't?

    > As a result of this, I changed my me@privacy address to
    > a valid one, in order to comply with individual.net rules.

    But I don't see their rules as 'tight' as before.
    They only 'recommend' certain things.

    > I also wrote to individual to ask for them to reconsider
    > their policy and allow invalid addresses.

    But they seem to allow invalid addresses, from the way I read their
    new 'recommend' rules.

    Sorry.. I'm confused. :(

    Boomer, May 9, 2004