    new corporate strategy or is not mentioning this issue on the status
    report like the police claiming crime rates are down simply because
    they ignore most of it?

    Robert Feigel, May 15, 2006

  2. Robert Feigel wrote:
    > Xtra has been having "issues" with customers' emails since "noon
    > yesterday" and their helpline has been overloaded to the point that
    > they can't handle all the calls. Yet there has not been a word about
    > his on their so-called online status report.
    >
    > After Xtra dropped Usenet in such a cavalier way a friend suggested
    > that they were actively trying to loose customers so they would not
    > have to spend any money on increasing capacity. Could this be their
    > new corporate strategy or is not mentioning this issue on the status
    > report like the police claiming crime rates are down simply because
    > they ignore most of it?

    No, Xtra is trying very hard to live upto their advertising. First they
    claim that their usenet service was 'complimentary'. Then they stop that
    service. The third thing is to turn their e-mail servers off every other
    day to cut down on their power useage.

    In this way they are fulfilling their 'cheaper service' claim as advertised.

    Posco Toadfoot, May 15, 2006

  3. Robert Feigel

    SchoolTech Guest

    Robert Feigel wrote:
    > Xtra has been having "issues" with customers' emails since "noon
    > yesterday" and their helpline has been overloaded to the point that
    > they can't handle all the calls. Yet there has not been a word about
    > his on their so-called online status report.
    >
    > After Xtra dropped Usenet in such a cavalier way a friend suggested
    > that they were actively trying to loose customers so they would not
    > have to spend any money on increasing capacity. Could this be their
    > new corporate strategy or is not mentioning this issue on the status
    > report like the police claiming crime rates are down simply because
    > they ignore most of it?

    Xtra's policies are no different from any other large ISP. Consider the
    lack of service also afforded TelstraClear and Ihug users.

    SchoolTech, May 15, 2006
  4. On Mon, 15 May 2006 11:13:02 +1200, Robert Feigel wrote:

    > Xtra has been having "issues" with customers' emails since "noon
    > yesterday" and their helpline has been overloaded to the point that
    > they can't handle all the calls. Yet there has not been a word about
    > his on their so-called online status report

    That might be connected with the telephone, mobile, and networking & VOIP
    outage throughout Auckland City that had telecom rather preoccupied for
    all of this morning. I presume the surrounding cities in that region, like
    Manakau, were not affected - heard nothing about them.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 15, 2006
  5. Robert Feigel

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 15 May 2006 16:08:38 +1200, SchoolTech
    <> exclaimed:

    >Robert Feigel wrote:
    >> Xtra has been having "issues" with customers' emails since "noon
    >> yesterday" and their helpline has been overloaded to the point that
    >> they can't handle all the calls. Yet there has not been a word about
    >> his on their so-called online status report.
    >>
    >> After Xtra dropped Usenet in such a cavalier way a friend suggested
    >> that they were actively trying to loose customers so they would not
    >> have to spend any money on increasing capacity. Could this be their
    >> new corporate strategy or is not mentioning this issue on the status
    >> report like the police claiming crime rates are down simply because
    >> they ignore most of it?

    >Xtra's policies are no different from any other large ISP. Consider the
    >lack of service also afforded TelstraClear and Ihug users.

    No problems at all from Ihug over here! They've been fantastic.

    Fred Dagg, May 15, 2006
  6. Robert Feigel

    Paul Guest

    Robert Feigel <> wrote:

    >Xtra has been having "issues" with customers' emails since "noon
    >yesterday" and their helpline has been overloaded to the point that
    >they can't handle all the calls. Yet there has not been a word about
    >his on their so-called online status report.
    >
    >After Xtra dropped Usenet in such a cavalier way a friend suggested
    >that they were actively trying to loose customers so they would not
    >have to spend any money on increasing capacity. Could this be their
    >new corporate strategy or is not mentioning this issue on the status
    >report like the police claiming crime rates are down simply because
    >they ignore most of it?

    Looks like their dns server has now died Any kind person can post a
    dns server address that I can use?
    Lucky I have the ip address of my news server

    Thanks Paul
    "Overclockers do it hotter and faster"

    Paul, May 15, 2006
  7. Robert Feigel

    Nho Whei Guest

    On Mon, 15 May 2006 21:50:25 +1200, "TKKGHCMT"
    <> wrote:

    >"Paul" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Looks like their dns server has now died Any kind person can post a
    >> dns server address that I can use?
    >> Lucky I have the ip address of my news server

    >Take your pick.
    >
    >Google "dns" followed by an ISP name (other than Xtra of course).

    Methinks you may not have fully grasped the severity of our present
    difficulties.

    Nho Whei, May 15, 2006
  8. Robert Feigel

    Nho Whei Guest

    On Mon, 15 May 2006 21:55:22 +1200, "TKKGHCMT"
    <> wrote:

    >"Nho Whei" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 15 May 2006 21:50:25 +1200, "TKKGHCMT"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Paul" <> wrote in message

    >> >Take your pick.
    >> >
    >> >Google "dns" followed by an ISP name (other than Xtra of course).
    >> >

    >> Methinks you may not have fully grasped the severity of our present
    >> difficulties.

    >Simple fix for me. Have you actually tried?

    No!

    Nho Whei, May 15, 2006
  9. "TKKGHCMT" <> wrote in message
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Looks like their dns server has now died Any kind person can post a
    >> dns server address that I can use?
    >> Lucky I have the ip address of my news server

    > Take your pick.
    >
    > Google "dns" followed by an ISP name (other than Xtra of course).

    Bit of a catch-22, google is not available as the DNS server is down.

    Jules Winnfield, May 15, 2006
  10. Robert Feigel

    TKKGHCMT Guest

    TKKGHCMT, May 15, 2006
  11. Robert Feigel

    TKKGHCMT Guest

    TKKGHCMT, May 15, 2006
  12. Robert Feigel

    Peter Guest

    TKKGHCMT wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >> Looks like their dns server has now died Any kind person can post a
    >> dns server address that I can use?
    >> Lucky I have the ip address of my news server

    > Take your pick.
    > Google "dns" followed by an ISP name (other than Xtra of course).

    You might like to try google.co.nz ...
    http://66.102.7.99/

    (seeing as how the URL won't be any use without a dns)

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, May 15, 2006
  13. "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > TKKGHCMT wrote:
    >> "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >>> Looks like their dns server has now died Any kind person can post a
    >>> dns server address that I can use?
    >>> Lucky I have the ip address of my news server

    >> Take your pick.
    >> Google "dns" followed by an ISP name (other than Xtra of course).

    > You might like to try google.co.nz ...
    > http://66.102.7.99/
    >
    > (seeing as how the URL won't be any use without a dns)
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter

    Thanks. I changed mine to Orcon's in the meantime and all is well

    Orcon's DNS servers:

    Primary: 210.55.12.1
    Secondary: 210.55.12.2

    Jules Winnfield, May 15, 2006
  14. Robert Feigel

    Matty F Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > TKKGHCMT wrote:
    >
    >>"Paul" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Looks like their dns server has now died Any kind person can post a
    >>>dns server address that I can use?
    >>>Lucky I have the ip address of my news server

    >>Take your pick.
    >>Google "dns" followed by an ISP name (other than Xtra of course).

    > You might like to try google.co.nz ...
    > http://66.102.7.99/
    >
    > (seeing as how the URL won't be any use without a dns)

    Thanks, that is so quick I have made it a bookmark.

    Matty F, May 15, 2006
  15. Robert Feigel

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 May 2006 16:08:38 +1200, SchoolTech
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    >>Robert Feigel wrote:
    >>> Xtra has been having "issues" with customers' emails since "noon
    >>> yesterday" and their helpline has been overloaded to the point that
    >>> they can't handle all the calls. Yet there has not been a word about
    >>> his on their so-called online status report.
    >>>
    >>> After Xtra dropped Usenet in such a cavalier way a friend suggested
    >>> that they were actively trying to loose customers so they would not
    >>> have to spend any money on increasing capacity. Could this be their
    >>> new corporate strategy or is not mentioning this issue on the status
    >>> report like the police claiming crime rates are down simply because
    >>> they ignore most of it?

    >>Xtra's policies are no different from any other large ISP. Consider the
    >>lack of service also afforded TelstraClear and Ihug users.

    > No problems at all from Ihug over here! They've been fantastic.

    TelstraClear has service where they actually call you back so you don't have
    to wait on the phone.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, May 15, 2006
  16. Robert Feigel

    Jo Guest

    "Kent Smith" <> wrote in message

    > TelstraClear has service where they actually call you back so you don't
    > have to wait on the phone.

    basically its a forced system where the computers take the first operator
    disconnecting from a call and calls the customer back. Worst of all is the
    customer who screams blue murder about being on hold for at least 20 minutes
    when in reality they have been on hold for 40 seconds. I know of a couple
    of participants here who have done that. You know who you are.

    Jo, May 16, 2006
  17. Robert Feigel

    s.te.v.e. Guest

    Robert Feigel wrote:

    > Xtra has been having "issues" with customers' emails since "noon
    > yesterday" and their helpline has been overloaded to the point that
    > they can't handle all the calls. Yet there has not been a word about
    > his on their so-called online status report.

    Xtra have frequently had trouble with customer e-mails.....going back years.

    Either that or Xtra users, for some inexplicable reason, use the "I never
    got your e-mail!" excuse more than people who use other ISPs.

    s.te.v.e., May 16, 2006
  18. Robert Feigel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    TKKGHCMT wrote:
    > "Nho Whei" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 15 May 2006 21:50:25 +1200, "TKKGHCMT"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Paul" <> wrote in message

    >>> Take your pick.
    >>>
    >>> Google "dns" followed by an ISP name (other than Xtra of course).
    >>>

    >> Methinks you may not have fully grasped the severity of our present
    >> difficulties.

    > Simple fix for me. Have you actually tried?

    Would it not be hard to get to Google without having a DNS server unless you
    know the IP?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 16, 2006
  19. Robert Feigel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jules Winnfield wrote:
    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> TKKGHCMT wrote:
    >>> Take your pick.
    >>> Google "dns" followed by an ISP name (other than Xtra of course).

    >> You might like to try google.co.nz ...
    >> http://66.102.7.99/
    >>
    >> (seeing as how the URL won't be any use without a dns)
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>

    > Thanks. I changed mine to Orcon's in the meantime and all is well
    >
    > Orcon's DNS servers:
    >
    > Primary: 210.55.12.1
    > Secondary: 210.55.12.2

    Ok, I'm not a software/OS sort of person.

    How do you change your DNS server with XP Pro?

    Thanks. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 16, 2006
  20. Robert Feigel

    Malcolm Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Jules Winnfield wrote:
    >> "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> You might like to try google.co.nz ...
    >>> http://66.102.7.99/
    >>>
    >>> (seeing as how the URL won't be any use without a dns)
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>>
    >>> Peter
    >>>

    >> Thanks. I changed mine to Orcon's in the meantime and all is well
    >>
    >> Orcon's DNS servers:
    >>
    >> Primary: 210.55.12.1
    >> Secondary: 210.55.12.2

    > Ok, I'm not a software/OS sort of person.
    >
    > How do you change your DNS server with XP Pro?
    >
    > Thanks. :)

    Yo!
    Under Network Connections, On the network interface icon right-click
    and select properties. Select Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)->properties
    in the General Tab you can define DNS server, if you hit the advanced
    button and select the DNS tab you can add them to your hearts
    content :)

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°