Is XP killing my CF cards?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Elflan, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Elflan

    Elflan Guest

    This is driving me nuts!!
    Here's the deal.
    I have lost the use now of a 4mb,8mb and now a 128mb card(s).
    Two of these cards are Sandisk cards and the 128mb card is a Delkin.
    I have an HP Photosmart C200 camera and never had a problem until I
    bought a new HP pc running Windows XP home edition.
    I also have another PC running WIN 98, and a Laptop using WIN 98se.
    Never had a problem with these computers or the card reader I use.

    It seems that after the first time using the card reader to download
    images onto my new XP computer this problem occurs.
    I have formatted every card in XP and also in the HP camera.
    I used the 128 card in the camera for the first time recently. The
    128mb card worked fine in the camera and I uploaded about 23 images to
    the new XP computer. When I cleard the disk and tried to shoot more
    pictures, the camera's lcd "film indicator" just flashes an "x"
    telling me I have no "film" in the camera. To test my camera to see
    if the camera was the cause of the problem,I put my girlfriend's 8mb
    card in my camera. This worked fine.
    She has the exact same camera so I tried her camera using my 128 card
    and her camera would not read this card either.

    I tried to move different types of data onto the card from my PC's
    hard drive. I am able to copy mp3's onto the card and I can play the
    music on my PC , but when I try to play these songs in my NEX II mp3
    player, the player tells me "no songs" on the card.
    So that's the story.

    The only common denominator in all this seems to be my Win XP
    Computer.
    I have read about problems with XP and CF cards larger than 32mb
    problems but since my 4mb and 8mb card have the same problems, I
    suspect whatever the problem is, it's doing it to all my cards Are
    any of you familiar with the problem?

    Elflan, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Elflan

    Flux Guest

    Elflan wrote:
    > This is driving me nuts!!
    > Here's the deal.
    > I have lost the use now of a 4mb,8mb and now a 128mb card(s).
    > Two of these cards are Sandisk cards and the 128mb card is a Delkin.
    > I have an HP Photosmart C200 camera and never had a problem until I
    > bought a new HP pc running Windows XP home edition.
    > I also have another PC running WIN 98, and a Laptop using WIN 98se.
    > Never had a problem with these computers or the card reader I use.
    >
    > It seems that after the first time using the card reader to download
    > images onto my new XP computer this problem occurs.
    > I have formatted every card in XP and also in the HP camera.
    > I used the 128 card in the camera for the first time recently. The
    > 128mb card worked fine in the camera and I uploaded about 23 images to
    > the new XP computer. When I cleard the disk and tried to shoot more
    > pictures, the camera's lcd "film indicator" just flashes an "x"
    > telling me I have no "film" in the camera. To test my camera to see
    > if the camera was the cause of the problem,I put my girlfriend's 8mb
    > card in my camera. This worked fine.
    > She has the exact same camera so I tried her camera using my 128 card
    > and her camera would not read this card either.
    >
    > I tried to move different types of data onto the card from my PC's
    > hard drive. I am able to copy mp3's onto the card and I can play the
    > music on my PC , but when I try to play these songs in my NEX II mp3
    > player, the player tells me "no songs" on the card.
    > So that's the story.
    >
    > The only common denominator in all this seems to be my Win XP
    > Computer.
    > I have read about problems with XP and CF cards larger than 32mb
    > problems but since my 4mb and 8mb card have the same problems, I
    > suspect whatever the problem is, it's doing it to all my cards Are
    > any of you familiar with the problem?

    Sounds like WinXP is formatting the card to FAT32, which your camera can't
    read, though formatting in-camera should solve it (and that means through
    the camera menus, not through WinXP with the camera connected to the PC).

    If that doesn't help ... ahn, sorry, I don't have any other sugestions. :(

    Flux

    Flux, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Elflan

    Matt Arnold Guest

    XP - Chewing the FAT

    Hi,

    Are you formatting the cards in the camera when it's connected to the
    computer? If so, that could be the answer as to why they're not working. XP
    will happily format your card as FAT32 rather than the digicam standard FAT
    (aka FAT16).

    My remedy would be to format the card completely in the camera without it
    being connected to the computer (ie you'll have to use the onboard
    formatting routine that the camera is programmed with).

    Failing that, you could try formatting the card in XP using the Disk Manager
    tool (Doing this in the Windows 2000 classic view rather than the pretty,
    cpu / mem eating XP view) via Right Click My Computer, Click Manage, Click
    "Disk Management". Find the drive that's the camera (and make sure it's the
    right one, otherwise you'll possibly wipe something off your PC's HDD),
    RClick the drive and choose "Format". From the "File System" drop down,
    select "FAT" & then "OK".

    Failing that, can you give us some more details as to what exactly you do to
    the cards when they're connected to the PC that appears to be "damaging
    them"?

    Kind regards,
    Matt Arnold
    Go further with your Fuji cam: http://www.camerashed.co.uk

    Matt Arnold, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Elflan

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I have an HP Photosmart C200

    The HP cameras have known issues with some brands of memory cards. You
    might check to see if you can find information about the specific brands
    you are using.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Sep 2, 2003
  5. Elflan

    fhe Guest

    On 2 Sep 2003 07:25:59 -0700, (Elflan) wrote:

    >This is driving me nuts!!
    >Here's the deal.
    >I have lost the use now of a 4mb,8mb and now a 128mb card(s).
    >Two of these cards are Sandisk cards and the 128mb card is a Delkin.
    >I have an HP Photosmart C200 camera and never had a problem until I
    >bought a new HP pc running Windows XP home edition.
    > I also have another PC running WIN 98, and a Laptop using WIN 98se.
    >Never had a problem with these computers or the card reader I use.
    >
    > It seems that after the first time using the card reader to download
    >images onto my new XP computer this problem occurs.
    >I have formatted every card in XP and also in the HP camera.
    > I used the 128 card in the camera for the first time recently. The
    >128mb card worked fine in the camera and I uploaded about 23 images to
    >the new XP computer. When I cleard the disk and tried to shoot more
    >pictures, the camera's lcd "film indicator" just flashes an "x"
    >telling me I have no "film" in the camera. To test my camera to see
    >if the camera was the cause of the problem,I put my girlfriend's 8mb
    >card in my camera. This worked fine.
    >She has the exact same camera so I tried her camera using my 128 card
    >and her camera would not read this card either.
    >
    >I tried to move different types of data onto the card from my PC's
    >hard drive. I am able to copy mp3's onto the card and I can play the
    >music on my PC , but when I try to play these songs in my NEX II mp3
    >player, the player tells me "no songs" on the card.
    >So that's the story.
    >
    >The only common denominator in all this seems to be my Win XP
    >Computer.
    >I have read about problems with XP and CF cards larger than 32mb
    >problems but since my 4mb and 8mb card have the same problems, I
    >suspect whatever the problem is, it's doing it to all my cards Are
    >any of you familiar with the problem?

    The problem may well be the XP computer. THEY seem to default to
    either FAT32 or NTFS formatting. I believe that is incorrect for most
    cameras that use CF cards. I think using the computer to reformat
    using FAT rather than FAT32 may recover the cards for you.

    Go to the command prompt and, assuming your camera or card reader
    appears as Drive E:, type in the commend "format E: /FS:FAT" and hit
    'enter'. (Substitute the appropriate drive letter for E:) That should
    force the computer to format the card for FAT instead of FAT32. Then
    see if the camera will accept the card. If that clears the problem,
    Remember this commandment: "THOU SHALL ONLY FORMAT OR ERASE A CARD IN
    THE CAMERA USING THE CAMERA'S MENU". Doing those functions with thc
    computer is convenient, but asking for problems.

    fhe, Sep 2, 2003
  6. Elflan

    Eric Gisin Guest

    "Flux" <> wrote in message

    | Sounds like WinXP is formatting the card to FAT32, which your camera can't
    | read, though formatting in-camera should solve it (and that means through
    | the camera menus, not through WinXP with the camera connected to the PC).
    |
    | If that doesn't help ... ahn, sorry, I don't have any other sugestions. :(

    Nope, any card under 520mb cannot be formatted fat32.

    Eric Gisin, Sep 2, 2003
  7. Elflan

    Eric Gisin Guest

    "fhe" <> wrote in message
    | The problem may well be the XP computer. THEY seem to default to
    | either FAT32 or NTFS formatting. I believe that is incorrect for most
    | cameras that use CF cards. I think using the computer to reformat
    | using FAT rather than FAT32 may recover the cards for you.

    Nonsense, xp defaults to FAT16 on removable storage.

    Eric Gisin, Sep 2, 2003
  8. Elflan

    Jack Forrest Guest

    You should not format your card in the computer, only in the camera.
    That may be your problem. I use windows XP on 2 computers and have
    not had a problem with downloading pictures from 2 256mb cards or with
    several smaller ones. Try reformating the cards in the camera again.
    Hope it works.
    Jack

    Jack Forrest, Sep 2, 2003
  9. Elflan

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Elflan wrote:

    > This is driving me nuts!!
    > Here's the deal.
    > I have lost the use now of a 4mb,8mb and now a 128mb card(s).
    > Two of these cards are Sandisk cards and the 128mb card is a Delkin.
    > I have an HP Photosmart C200 camera and never had a problem until I
    > bought a new HP pc running Windows XP home edition.
    > I also have another PC running WIN 98, and a Laptop using WIN 98se.
    > Never had a problem with these computers or the card reader I use.
    >
    > It seems that after the first time using the card reader to download
    > images onto my new XP computer this problem occurs.
    > I have formatted every card in XP and also in the HP camera.
    > I used the 128 card in the camera for the first time recently. The
    > 128mb card worked fine in the camera and I uploaded about 23 images to
    > the new XP computer. When I cleard the disk and tried to shoot more
    > pictures, the camera's lcd "film indicator" just flashes an "x"
    > telling me I have no "film" in the camera. To test my camera to see
    > if the camera was the cause of the problem,I put my girlfriend's 8mb
    > card in my camera. This worked fine.
    > She has the exact same camera so I tried her camera using my 128 card
    > and her camera would not read this card either.
    >
    > I tried to move different types of data onto the card from my PC's
    > hard drive. I am able to copy mp3's onto the card and I can play the
    > music on my PC , but when I try to play these songs in my NEX II mp3
    > player, the player tells me "no songs" on the card.
    > So that's the story.
    >
    > The only common denominator in all this seems to be my Win XP
    > Computer.
    > I have read about problems with XP and CF cards larger than 32mb
    > problems but since my 4mb and 8mb card have the same problems, I
    > suspect whatever the problem is, it's doing it to all my cards Are
    > any of you familiar with the problem?

    It is obvious that your PC doesn't format the cards as your camera likes
    them formatted. Have you tried to go ahead and reformat the card in the
    camera, just ignoring the message about no card? If all else fails, you
    can call HP and badger them for a fix.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 2, 2003
  10. Elflan

    Mikey Guest

    Eric Gisin loudly proclaimed to the world that:

    .. :(

    > Nope, any card under 520mb cannot be formatted fat32.

    Would you care to want to bet on that?
    XP tries to format my 256 meg cards FAT32 every time, it's a simple click to
    chnage it to FAt though.

    --

    Mikey
    http://www.mike721.com

    Mikey, Sep 2, 2003
  11. Elflan

    Mikey Guest

    Elflan loudly proclaimed to the world that:

    > This is driving me nuts!!
    >
    > The only common denominator in all this seems to be my Win XP
    > Computer.

    Make sure your formatting the cards as FAT ( which is really FAT 16) and
    not FAT32 when you format on the PC, this is one of the options but the
    default may be FAT32 and most cameras and MP3 players can't read that
    format, only FAT.
    To fix the problem cards, format in the PC again and make sure the choice is
    FAT and not FAT32
    --

    Mikey
    http://www.mike721.com

    Mikey, Sep 2, 2003
  12. Elflan

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:06:13 -0700, in this august
    forum, "Eric Gisin" <> said:

    >"Flux" <> wrote in message
    >|
    >| Sounds like WinXP is formatting the card to FAT32, which your camera can't
    >| read, though formatting in-camera should solve it (and that means through
    >| the camera menus, not through WinXP with the camera connected to the PC).
    >|
    >| If that doesn't help ... ahn, sorry, I don't have any other sugestions. :(
    >|
    >Nope, any card under 520mb cannot be formatted fat32.

    Rubbish. Of course it can.

    Lionel, Sep 3, 2003
  13. Elflan

    Mark B. Guest

    "Elflan" <> wrote in message
    > This is driving me nuts!!
    > Here's the deal.
    > I have lost the use now of a 4mb,8mb and now a 128mb card(s).
    > Two of these cards are Sandisk cards and the 128mb card is a Delkin.
    > I have an HP Photosmart C200 camera and never had a problem until I
    > bought a new HP pc running Windows XP home edition.
    > I also have another PC running WIN 98, and a Laptop using WIN 98se.
    > Never had a problem with these computers or the card reader I use.
    >
    > It seems that after the first time using the card reader to download
    > images onto my new XP computer this problem occurs.
    > I have formatted every card in XP and also in the HP camera.
    > I used the 128 card in the camera for the first time recently. The
    > 128mb card worked fine in the camera and I uploaded about 23 images to
    > the new XP computer. When I cleard the disk and tried to shoot more
    > pictures, the camera's lcd "film indicator" just flashes an "x"
    > telling me I have no "film" in the camera. To test my camera to see
    > if the camera was the cause of the problem,I put my girlfriend's 8mb
    > card in my camera. This worked fine.
    > She has the exact same camera so I tried her camera using my 128 card
    > and her camera would not read this card either.
    >
    > I tried to move different types of data onto the card from my PC's
    > hard drive. I am able to copy mp3's onto the card and I can play the
    > music on my PC , but when I try to play these songs in my NEX II mp3
    > player, the player tells me "no songs" on the card.
    > So that's the story.
    >
    > The only common denominator in all this seems to be my Win XP
    > Computer.
    > I have read about problems with XP and CF cards larger than 32mb
    > problems but since my 4mb and 8mb card have the same problems, I
    > suspect whatever the problem is, it's doing it to all my cards Are
    > any of you familiar with the problem?

    I've never formatted a CF or MicroDrive in the reader with Windows. I
    always erase either in the camera or through the reader, then format in the
    camera. Never had any problems, starting with Win98SE and now WinXP - Home
    edition and Pro.

    Mark

    Mark B., Sep 3, 2003
  14. Elflan

    Andre Guest

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:13:23 -0700, "Eric Gisin" <> wrote:

    >Nonsense, xp defaults to FAT16 on removable storage.

    Mine shows FAT32 by default

    Andre, Sep 3, 2003
  15. Elflan

    Eric Gisin Guest

    My mistake, the minimum FAT32 size is 256MB, i.e. 64K clusters of 4KB.

    Eric Gisin, Sep 3, 2003
  16. Elflan

    Elflan Guest

    (Elflan) wrote in message news:<>...
    > This is driving me nuts!!
    > Here's the deal.
    > I have lost the use now of a 4mb,8mb and now a 128mb card(s).
    > Two of these cards are Sandisk cards and the 128mb card is a Delkin.
    > I have an HP Photosmart C200 camera and never had a problem until I
    > bought a new HP pc running Windows XP home edition.
    > I also have another PC running WIN 98, and a Laptop using WIN 98se.
    > Never had a problem with these computers or the card reader I use.

    I thank everyone for the responses.
    I was able to get the 4 mb and 8mb cards back working after formating
    them once again in the camera. The 128mb Delkin brand card is still
    failing.
    I have an email in to Hp tech to see if they can offer any new ideas.
    They did have one solution in their troubleshooting page that
    suggested I remove the CF card AND the batteries for 15 minutes to
    reset the camera. I did this but it didn't work. If I get any new
    ideas from them,(or Delkin), I'll post them here.
    thanks again.

    Elflan, Sep 3, 2003
  17. Elflan

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on 2 Sep 2003 20:10:15 -0700, in this august forum,
    (Elflan) said:

    >I thank everyone for the responses.
    >I was able to get the 4 mb and 8mb cards back working after formating
    >them once again in the camera.

    Great. :)

    > The 128mb Delkin brand card is still
    >failing.

    If you can, try formatting it in another camera (perhaps at your local
    camera shop?).
    I suspect that your camera is getting confused by the foreign file
    system on your card, & that another brand of camera might cope better.

    Lionel, Sep 3, 2003
  18. Elflan

    Elflan Guest

    I FIXED IT (was)Re: Is XP killing my CF cards?

    Lionel <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Word has it that on 2 Sep 2003 20:10:15 -0700, in this august forum,
    > (Elflan) said:
    >
    > >I thank everyone for the responses.
    > >I was able to get the 4 mb and 8mb cards back working after formating
    > >them once again in the camera.

    > Great. :)
    >
    > > The 128mb Delkin brand card is still
    > >failing.

    > If you can, try formatting it in another camera (perhaps at your local
    > camera shop?).

    I took my camera and the bad CF card to Best Buy and a sales guy there
    used one of the demo cameras to format the card. Presto, it worked!
    Thanks for the help Lionel and everybody!

    Elflan, Sep 4, 2003