Is XP 64 Professional ready for production use?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?= gleaves@hotmail.com>, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. OK your comments are welcome on this.

    I am running a full OEM version of XP 64 for x64 CPU.

    It runs fine but on a new install, with a new install of IIS I am having
    problems running/accessing ASP.NET 2 projects, even simple one page demo
    projects!

    I posted a bug to MS here:

    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produ...edbackid=4acbe090-0b4e-4719-90cf-0b654300a957

    So I have a simple question, is XP 64 with IIS 6 ready for real world use or
    is it still unstable?

    Is it IIS 6, XP 64 or simply the beta 2 nature of .NET that is causing me
    hassle?

    Has ANYONE managed to build (even a very simple) ASP.NET app on XP 64 (OEM
    release) that actually runs/works?

    I am using

    OEM Version of XP 64 purchased from TigerDirect
    VS 2005 Beta 2

    I am talking about a fresh install of XP64 then a fresh install of VS 2005
    and NOTHING else, no other apps, projects, tools etc have been installed.

    Like I said, it runs fine I have no crashing or odd behaviour, in fact it
    recognised EVERY hardware device I had in my machine AND I was able to access
    the web using IE the VERY FIRST time I logged in, so this is all very
    impressive.

    Input much appreciated.

    Hugh

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?= >, Jul 13, 2005

  2. x64 is stable and has been final for two months. IIS is working for me (it
    is a prerequisite for Virtual Server SP1 beta). As far as your references
    to "OEM", that's all there is. There is no boxed, retail version. Others
    can speak to ASP.NET.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 13, 2005

  3. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/x64benefits.mspx

    White Paper - Word doc.
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...a909-fbba470af276/Benefits_of_Windows_x64.doc
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 13, 2005
  4. Well I am well aware of the benefits, I have been designing and building some
    sophisticated code that takes advantage of them!

    My question was about just how "mature" XP64 + IIS 6 + ASP.NET 2 are.

    Thks
    Hugh

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?= >, Jul 14, 2005
  5. I am at a lost when it comes to IIS 6 and ASP.NET.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 14, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?= >

    WM Guest

    We've had quite a few problems running IIS on X64 XP at my office...

    WM, Jul 14, 2005
  7. "Hugo >" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
    > Well I am well aware of the benefits, I have been designing and building
    > some
    > sophisticated code that takes advantage of them!
    >
    > My question was about just how "mature" XP64 + IIS 6 + ASP.NET 2 are.

    I am not aware of us ever saying the use of Beta software is a "production
    use" scenario.
    Certainly the x64 products are more then capable of deployment in production
    environment and daily use - both on the desktop and the server platforms.
    Your use of Beta software may be the issue here.

    Q. "... how "mature" XP64 + IIS 6 + ASP.NET 2 are. ..." - A. - very (based
    on solid code base) + very + well it's Beta !!
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 14, 2005
  8. Thanks Mike

    I understand your comments on beta.

    Unless I am mistaken though, it is only VS 2005 beta 2 that is beta here?

    XP 64 OEM is released code as is IIS 6, is this true?

    Your comments suggest that IIS6 and XP64 should operate correctly (or are
    fully expected to) and that my problem is probably due to VS 2005 beta 2
    having some issues.

    Is this a correct statement Mike?

    Thanks
    Hugh

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?= >, Jul 14, 2005
  9. Well Visual Studio 2005 is definitely still beta and won't be ready for
    prime time until about November, I would report this to the
    microsoft.private.whidbey.setup.visual_studio

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 14, 2005
  10. "Hugo >" <hugh<underbar> wrote in message
    > Thanks Mike
    >
    > I understand your comments on beta.
    >
    > Unless I am mistaken though, it is only VS 2005 beta 2 that is beta here?
    >
    > XP 64 OEM is released code as is IIS 6, is this true?
    >
    > Your comments suggest that IIS6 and XP64 should operate correctly (or are
    > fully expected to) and that my problem is probably due to VS 2005 beta 2
    > having some issues.
    >
    > Is this a correct statement Mike?

    Yes that is a fair summary of what I said.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 14, 2005
  11. But you see, the icing on the cake is where to post a query about the
    problem, which is the:

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 14, 2005
  12. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    > But you see, the icing on the cake is where to post a query about the
    > problem, which is the:
    > microsoft.private.whidbey.setup.visual_studio

    ^^^^^^^^
    Which is of little use as it is a private newsgroup that the original poster
    may not access to.
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 14, 2005
  13. But they can, its private, but its actually public, similar to the Microsoft
    AntiSpyware groups.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 14, 2005
  14. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    > But they can, its private, but its actually public, similar to the
    > Microsoft AntiSpyware groups.
    > --

    Which require a specific set of credentials to allow access to the specific
    private groups.
    e.g. for the Anti Spyware access you see the details at
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    I stand by my previous post.
    He will need to get the appropriate credentials for access to any private
    groups.
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 14, 2005
  15. Which is not difficult. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 14, 2005