Is Xnews tied or connected to MS Internet Explorer in some way?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by MyName, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. MyName

    MyName Guest

    (E's Ghost) wrote in

    > I was using Xnews, DL'ing headers from one group and
    > some binaries from another group. While I was waiting I
    > decided to clean up Internet Explorers cache, history, and
    > cookies. I right clicked the Explorer icon on the desktop
    > to open IE properties box and proceeded to clear the
    > history and cookies.
    >
    > Xnews went crazy and crashed. I've done this now a number
    > of times to see if I can figure out why Xnews crashes and
    > starts acting flakey when you clear IE cache and history.
    > Is Xnews dependent on IE somehow? You wouldn't think it
    > should be. I've gone back to using NX until I know there
    > aren't security problems with Xnews.
    >
    > What is causing this? Any idea's?

    Windows

    --
    "Audacity, always, audacity"
    "Useless eaters"

    E's Ghost, Mar 31, 2006

  3. From: "E's Ghost" <>

    | I was using Xnews, DL'ing headers from one group and
    | some binaries from another group. While I was waiting I
    | decided to clean up Internet Explorers cache, history, and
    | cookies. I right clicked the Explorer icon on the desktop
    | to open IE properties box and proceeded to clear the history
    | and cookies.
    |
    | Xnews went crazy and crashed. I've done this now a number of times
    | to see if I can figure out why Xnews crashes and starts acting
    | flakey when you clear IE cache and history. Is Xnews dependent
    | on IE somehow? You wouldn't think it should be. I've gone
    | back to using NX until I know there aren't security problems with
    | Xnews.
    |
    | What is causing this? Any idea's?

    I suggest contacting Luu Tran. He is the author and he can help you.

    BTW: As a Verizon subscriber, he often posts in the private Verizon hierarchy.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Apr 1, 2006
  4. MyName

    Han Guest

    (E's Ghost) wrote in news:AjiXf.1644$i41.1282
    @newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > I was using Xnews, DL'ing headers from one group and
    > some binaries from another group. While I was waiting I
    > decided to clean up Internet Explorers cache, history, and
    > cookies. I right clicked the Explorer icon on the desktop
    > to open IE properties box and proceeded to clear the history
    > and cookies.
    >
    > Xnews went crazy and crashed. I've done this now a number of times
    > to see if I can figure out why Xnews crashes and starts acting
    > flakey when you clear IE cache and history. Is Xnews dependent
    > on IE somehow? You wouldn't think it should be. I've gone
    > back to using NX until I know there aren't security problems with
    > Xnews.
    >
    > What is causing this? Any idea's?

    I cannot reproduce your finding.
    I seldom use IE, but fired it up when I saw your post on my copy of Xnews.
    I deleted (in IE) all temporary internet files and all cookies (I hope that
    doesn't screw up anything), then quit IE. All the time Xnews was up (but I
    wasn't actively downloading anything). Nothing happened, at least until
    now <grin>. Xnews is still happy.

    --
    Best regards
    Han

    Han, Apr 1, 2006
  5. MyName

    thanatoid Guest

    (E's Ghost) wrote in

    > I was using Xnews, DL'ing headers from one group and
    > some binaries from another group. While I was waiting I
    > decided to clean up Internet Explorers cache, history, and
    > cookies. I right clicked the Explorer icon on the desktop
    > to open IE properties box and proceeded to clear the
    > history and cookies.
    >
    > Xnews went crazy and crashed. I've done this now a number
    > of times to see if I can figure out why Xnews crashes and
    > starts acting flakey when you clear IE cache and history.
    > Is Xnews dependent on IE somehow? You wouldn't think it
    > should be. I've gone back to using NX until I know there
    > aren't security problems with Xnews.
    >
    > What is causing this? Any idea's?

    Windows is the problem, or a badly set-up machine (especially
    memory), or both. Xnews is totally independent of all other
    software on your computer and does not install/use any "system"
    DLL's etc.

    Do not bother the author with your question (as another poster,
    apparently not much more experienced than you {take NO offense,
    *please*} has suggested). It is NOT an Xnews problem.

    You might want to get someone to check the overall set-up of
    Windows on your machine, and I would also suggest getting
    another browser. While you probably will not be able to DELETE
    M$ Internet Explorer (it CAN be done but it's rather
    complicated), the very least you can (and should) do is NEVER
    use it. If you want reasons, do some random searches about the
    product, or "Microsoft is bad", or "new virus targets IE/OE"
    etc. Did you know that unless you installed a patch most people
    don't even know about, you can get a virus or trojan JUST by
    viewing a jpg picture in IE/OE? *ONLY* IE and OE. Interesting,
    isn't it?

    There are MANY other browsers available, many free, and almost
    ALL better than IE. Some are almost completely immune to on-line
    dangers by design. Google away, and good luck.

    --

    +++
    (This post from thanatoid may or may not really exist and

    thanatoid, Apr 1, 2006
  6. thanatoid wrote:
    > Did you know that unless you installed a patch most people
    > don't even know about, you can get a virus or trojan JUST by
    > viewing a jpg picture in IE/OE? *ONLY* IE and OE.

    This is still true for a fully patched IE6SP1 on Win2K.

    > Interesting, isn't it?

    No. It's even documented that using IE on the intarweb is inherently
    insecure.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Apr 1, 2006
  7. MyName

    Dominik R. Guest

    Dreaming E's Ghost woke me up by screaming news:AjiXf.1644$i41.1282
    @newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > I was using Xnews, DL'ing headers from one group and
    > some binaries from another group.

    Downloading headers is taxing your memory a lot, doing some other memory
    taxing stuff is certain to screw something up.
    You haven'T told us what Windows OS you are using but especially the
    Windows 9x series is bad with memory management.

    --
    Dom
    http://Beam.To/Dominik/

    Dominik R., Apr 1, 2006