Is x64 worthwhile????

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2, O2007B2, May 31, 2006.

  1. I'm starting a new post about x64 because there are many misconceptions and
    misunderstandings about x64.

    Personally I don't need Windows XP Professional x64. I bought an AMD FX-51
    processor built a complete system installing Windows XP Professional 32-bit
    and all my programs and files. The system worked much better and faster than
    my retired AMD 3200+ system. Comparing the two systems indicated a 10% to
    30% increase in efficiency with the FX-51 system than the 3200+ system,
    including video editing and rendering. The gain was in my opinion due to
    processor efficiency.

    When the CPP version of X64 became available I decided to try it. The
    interface was like Windows 2000, there were very few drivers, but the system
    was very stable. As the system progressed to release more drivers were
    slowly becoming available. At RTM the only drivers that I didn't have were
    printer/scanner and capture card. I was able to find those drivers within 4
    months of RTM. I don't use a web-cam so I haven't bothered looking for any
    drivers. I also bought a Compac R3000z laptop because of promised support
    for x64 when it was released, HP still doesn't support x64 on personal
    computers, but I was able to find the needed drivers except for the modem.

    Since then the R3000z when to college with my son, no problems encountered
    through the first 3 semesters, which is much better than his first two
    computers. The FX-51 is retired waiting to be built as a server when I get
    the extra time and money. One replacement was a Compac V2300cto laptop,
    small partition with the original XP Home and the rest with XP Professional
    x64. No running concerns have encountered, the only driver missing is the
    Bluetooth that I don't use. I then built 2 AMD 4400x2 systems, one for
    everyday and one for testing. Both systems have a hard drive with x86 and a
    raid mirror for X64.

    Comparing X86 and x64 on the same computer with a dual boot indicate that
    the speeds are the same or very close including video editing or rendering
    using the same 32-bit programs. Machine slowdowns are usually caused by a
    driver conflict, which I've learned by testing driver as they're released.

    The bottom line answer for me is I don't need x64 for what I currently do. I
    like x64 for the stability and don't want to go back to x86. Charlie Russel
    has an excellent blog on x64, which I still haven't read completely. Also
    there are too many people to name in this newsgroup that are willing to
    assist in finding answers or solutions. The best advice is to research fully
    before buying and don't condemn the system for everything that doesn't work
    as expected.
    Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2, O2007B2, May 31, 2006

  2. A good post. I agree with you.

    I bought a dual core 64-bit machine just so I could say "I run x64." Purely
    pride of ownership here. I did it just because I wanted to, not because I
    needed to.

    By the time Vista releases, the whole question of x86 or x64 will change
    though. Then it probably will be "why bother with x86."

    "Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2, O2007B2" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 1, 2006

  3. Colin:
    Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to see you back posting again.

    Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2, O2007B2, Jun 1, 2006
  4. Thanks! Had a diversion.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 1, 2006
  5. Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2, O2007B2

    Buzz Guest

    Great Post! I agree 100%. I am very much a novice when it comes to
    computers but the guys & gals in here have helped me with answers and
    with answers to other post. The only thing on my computer that is not
    working is my memory card reader. I can live without it. Again Thanks
    Ladies & Gents for your support & help. I'm sure at the end of the day
    the pay was worth it. Ha Ha
    Buzz

    --
    Buzz
    Buzz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=14338

    www.techarena.in
    Buzz, Jun 1, 2006
  6. Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2, O2007B2

    George Guest

    Not as far as I am concerned but I am sure you'll find some crack heads in
    this group who'll probably swear otherwise. I can give you their names but
    it's more fun when they reveal it themselves ;)
    George, Jun 1, 2006
  7. I agree with you. I went to x64 because my 32 bit install was sick and I
    thought "hell if I'm gonna mess with a fresh install I might as well try the
    new thing." I've been running 32 bit on my 64 bit hardware for a year. 64
    bit is a ton more stable at least on my hardware, only problem I'm having is
    the secondary usb ports (i.e. the ones on the board, not the ones on the
    backplane) fall asleep after a bit and don't wake up when I move the mouse.
    I think this is a Epox or nvidea issue and not an os issue because the ones
    on the backplane don't do this and it also happened under 32 bit.

    Games are just soooooo much happier under 64 bit, no more choppy performance
    when the graphics are heavy. I was running guild wars in a box, defragging
    my C: drive and chatting on yahooo at the same time last night with no slow
    down, couldn't do this on my 32 bit install with same hardware. I made sure
    to research before I upgraded, gave my HP Photosmart P1000 away because I
    couldn't get drivers for it but I really love my new Brother all in one that
    had drivers out already that work perfectly too...funny logitech can't put
    drivers out but a business company like Brother can? That just rubs me the
    wrong way there.

    Most games that have come out recently run great on it. Disk utilities you
    have to replace as well as registry utilities (64 bit registry is different
    from 32 bit version). I've had to reinstall on thing because something
    loaded a conflicting system file but heck this used to happen under 32bit too
    (just not a lot lately).

    My only gripe with it really is that many things that load parts of itself
    in the system tray often don't work right. Avast works fine but I don't have
    the cute little ball that lets you control it without going to the directory
    and running the program directly (avast forum told me how). It seems to be
    auto updating, but not very often. Lavasoft adaware works but doesn't seem
    to auto update either.

    I'm considering switching motherboards, this one only has AGP on it and that
    tech has reached it's pinnacle, no one is building for AGP anymore either,
    time for pci express board but I'll stay with the nvidia chipset, really like
    those.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VlIGluIEZsb3JpZGE=?=, Jun 20, 2006
  8. Sue, I have had couple of boxes where the front usb ports were not quite
    correctly connected to the mobo and the result was as you describe. It may
    be correctible.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 20, 2006
  9. That could be. I had a four port usb backplane from another board and popped
    it on there because the epox came with only a two port and I wanted to use
    all four without screwing around. Usually if it works at all it's not a
    wiring thing it's something else but when I have a minute I'll dig out that
    original connector and pop it on there to see what happens. On an older
    motherboard I might buy a funky connection but I thought all the newer ones
    had pretty much been standardized since you can buy front panel plates that
    go in drive bays with usb and firewire ports on them.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VlIGluIEZsb3JpZGE=?=, Jun 21, 2006
  10. Before you do that, try card swapping so it is in a different slot. In some
    boxes the last PCI slot has special characteristics.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 21, 2006
  11. Yeah I know the stuff about the first pci slot next to the agp slot shares
    resources but these USB ports are not on a card, they're all built into the
    motherboard (although maybe not all run by the same chip, ie. the 3 on the
    backplane may be part of the nvidia chipset while the extra 4 also built into
    the motherboard might be a different controller they popped on the
    motherboard.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VlIGluIEZsb3JpZGE=?=, Jun 21, 2006