    software, and very little in the way of software or drivers has actually been
    written for it yet.

    Is "upgrading" to x64 anything but a plea for a huge headache?
    =?Utf-8?B?TmljY29u?=, Oct 25, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TmljY29u?=

    Rick Guest

    You're right that you need 64-bit drivers for x64, but most 32-bit
    software runs fine. Win x64 will not run any 16-bit programs, including
    the setups programs for some 32-bit applications.

    As for whether is a "huge headache" or not, that all depends on your
    perspective and patience!

    Rick, Oct 25, 2005

  3. Printer, scanner drivers tend to be some of the evil parts on x64.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 25, 2005
  4. Evil is the wrong word.
    What you describe would be typical of any new operating system.
    If you are not prepared for a little extra research to get the computer
    working properly, perhaps x64 is not for you at this time.
    As more and more manufacturers make hardware and software for x64 the more
    mainstream it will get.
    Until then many are better off staying where they are at.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Oct 25, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TmljY29u?=

    wewa Guest

    Well,

    Yes, it is pure evil.

    In case you are not aware, x64 has been the number identified as the 'Number
    of the Idiot.'
    Rumor has it that 'dubya' has it on his scalp, if anyone can shave his head
    to prove it...
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html

    wewa, Oct 26, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TmljY29u?=

    John Barnes Guest

    At least printers are making progress, scanners slower and programs, if they
    don't already function, almost no progress.
    At least some of the smaller A/V are making progress.

    John Barnes, Oct 26, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TmljY29u?=

    Default User Guest

    "Niccon" <> wrote in message
    > From what I've heard, x^4 will be incompatible with old drivers,
    > incompatible
    > with a lot of old software, incompatible with fairly recent MICROSOFT
    > software, and very little in the way of software or drivers has actually
    > been
    > written for it yet.
    >
    > Is "upgrading" to x64 anything but a plea for a huge headache?

    No, it is a plea for people to do some research to see what hardware is
    supported before they upgrade to it. But the OS itself is powerful, not
    evil. :)

    Wayne
    Default User, Oct 26, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TmljY29u?=

    "wewa" <.4me> wrote in message
    > Well,
    >
    > Yes, it is pure evil.
    >
    > In case you are not aware, x64 has been the number identified as the
    > 'Number of the Idiot.'
    > Rumor has it that 'dubya' has it on his scalp, if anyone can shave his
    > head to prove it...
    > http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html

    You are a true Democrat, proving your stupidity.
  9. **WARNING**

    There is a trojan in your link : JS/Offiz.A

    Detected by NOD32.

    Jean-Baptiste Faure, Oct 26, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TmljY29u?=

    wewa Guest

    Yes, brave poster, Mr. Default User.

    Shall I assume you are a "in over your head (R)?"

    wewa, Oct 26, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?TmljY29u?=

    wes40oz Guest

    yea norton got that too... the trojans
    "Jean-Baptiste Faure" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    wes40oz, Oct 26, 2005
  12. x64 is better purchased preinstalled on a new computer from a reliable
    dealer. That way you get devices with x64 drivers. It is a rock-solid OS.
    As to software, this newsgroup and PlanetAMD64 are the most comprehensive
    sources for what is compatible and what is not (or must be tweaked).

    I took the approach that I was not converting to a new machine, but was
    adding a new machine so I still have an XP Pro x86 box for anything not yet
    available for x64. Your situation may or may not allow running side by side
    machines, but that is the way for me for at least another year.

    The prudent approach is that if you have any reservations about using x64,
    don't.

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 28, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?TmljY29u?=

    John Barnes Guest

    And by then Vista will be available and who is going to want to bother with
    x64

    John Barnes, Oct 28, 2005
  14. > Evil is the wrong word.
    > What you describe would be typical of any new operating system.

    x64 is more than just a new operating system--going from 95 to 98/98SE/ME,
    or 2000 to XP/2003, for example, was relatively straightforward, and a lot
    of drivers worked from one OS (from that line) to the next.

    Going from Win32 to Win64, though, is more akin to the change going from
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 95. There's backwards compatibility for most apps,
    but hardware wise, the drivers are the problem.

    OTOH, the contrast between going from Win32 to Win64 today vs going from
    Win3.1 to Win95 is that there is no huge Microsoft marketing push this time
    around to pressure hardware vendors to come up with 64-bit drivers. Thus
    Win64 is more of a "take your life into your own hands" thing at this time
    than it was making the Win16/Win32 jump...
    Homer J. Simpson, Oct 31, 2005
  15. > And by then Vista will be available and who is going to want to bother
    > with x64

    Those who want 64-bit Vista?
    Homer J. Simpson, Oct 31, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?TmljY29u?=

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    OK, so I purchased my CPU from AMD, and I purchased my motherboard from
    Gigabyte, my video chipset from ATI, all reliable sources I presume.

    The system is, admittedly rock solid. But internet explorer freezes and has
    a bunch of other problems (all fixable via end-task).

    Outlook express is fine fast and reliable. So is outlook for that matter.
    Firefox is fine too (but I still need IE for the couple of sites that are
    still ie-specific, which naturally has to include the microsoft update site.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 1, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?TmljY29u?=

    Wim Zefat Guest

    I had something similar happen to me a while back - everything rock solid,
    except IE crashing or simply freezing appently totally at random.

    In my case the problem turned out to be an add-on for IE that had been
    installed by another program (iFinger). After I disabled the add-on, all
    problems just went away. Haven't had any problems with IE since.

    Might be something different in your case, but it might be worth the effort
    to disable any and all IE add-ons temporarily (Tools - Internet options -
    Programs - Manage Add-ons), to see if your problems go away or not. If they
    do, just turn them back on one by one until you find the culprit.

    Wim

    Wim Zefat, Dec 2, 2005