    Is LINUX OS any good to try with it? Is anyone there that is able to help
    with advice on creating web pages and posting them? Your help is needed and
    will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Uran, Mar 26, 2009

  2. Uran

    Uran Guest

    Uran wrote:
    > I have the eternal trouble with just about everything on my laptop;
    > defragging takes eons and after is "clean" takes only two minutes to
    > leave it alone and is full again. Now, I have disconnected external
    > mouse (tried a number of them and everyone becomes unstable), and
    > have disconnected external keyboard (the same, and cannot use
    > laptop's one because makes my hands very painful and tired).
    >
    > Anyhow, more than not, the programs are not responding, and computer
    > just becomes numb. I was so many times at the shop; after a very
    > little while the same thing. It can handle word-processing but, since
    > I do not know what it really entails, I am suspecting that it just
    > handles it. I need the machine for creating my blogs and also to post
    > those blogs etc. Can it handle FrontPage or similar programs.
    >
    > Is LINUX OS any good to try with it? Is anyone there that is able to
    > help with advice on creating web pages and posting them? Your help is
    > needed and will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    One more info that just came to my mind: I have a copy of OFFICE2003
    installed on the computer, which I have bought in China, for 10Rmb
    (20cents); before I had Windows XP from the same sorce, and was forced to
    uninstall and to install the genuine copy. Could be that the reason for all
    the problems?

    Uran, Mar 26, 2009

    www.shagcamelsnow.com

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Mar 26, 2009

    I think everyone stopped giving a **** at the 2nd line

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Mar 26, 2009
  5. Uran wrote:

    > Uran wrote:
    >> I have the eternal trouble with just about everything on my laptop;
    >> defragging takes eons and after is "clean" takes only two minutes to
    >> leave it alone and is full again. ...
    >>
    >> Anyhow, more than not, the programs are not responding, and computer
    >> just becomes numb. ...

    Sounds to me as if your computer is owned. You are part of a hacker's
    bot-net and it is probably busy sending spam email by the thousands per
    hour. That's why it is slow. The current scourge - the Conficker worm -
    owns about 15 million Windows machines, all part of a bot-net set to
    unleash itself on April 1st.

    Defragging alone will not clean your operating system.

    >> ... I need the machine for creating my blogs and also to post those
    >> blogs etc. Can it handle FrontPage or similar programs.

    Aside: get a better web creator. FrontPage is crap.

    >> Is LINUX OS any good to try with it?

    Excellent choice. You don't even have to defrag. You don't state what
    anti-malware software you use.

    >> Is anyone there that is able to help with advice on creating web
    >> pages and posting them?

    That's an entirely different subject. You should ask in alt.html
    Be prepared to post the URL to your current best effort.

    > One more info that just came to my mind: I have a copy of OFFICE2003
    > installed on the computer, which I have bought in China, for 10Rmb
    > (20cents); before I had Windows XP from the same sorce, and was
    > forced to uninstall and to install the genuine copy. Could be that
    > the reason for all the problems?

    Yes, it could. If using a pirated copy, this could mean you are not
    getting updates, so necessary with Windows.

    --
    -bts
    -"Windows - Life Without Wallsâ„¢" <-- recent MS TV ad

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 26, 2009
  6. On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 07:57:37 -0400, above the shrieking & whining of the
    trolls, Beauregard T. Shagnasty was heard to say:

    > Uran wrote:
    >
    >> Uran wrote:
    >>> I have the eternal trouble with just about everything on my laptop;
    >>> defragging takes eons and after is "clean" takes only two minutes to
    >>> leave it alone and is full again. ...
    >>>
    >>> Anyhow, more than not, the programs are not responding, and computer
    >>> just becomes numb. ...

    > Sounds to me as if your computer is owned. You are part of a hacker's
    > bot-net and it is probably busy sending spam email by the thousands per
    > hour. That's why it is slow. The current scourge - the Conficker worm -
    > owns about 15 million Windows machines, all part of a bot-net set to
    > unleash itself on April 1st.
    >
    > Defragging alone will not clean your operating system.
    >
    >>> ... I need the machine for creating my blogs and also to post those
    >>> blogs etc. Can it handle FrontPage or similar programs.

    > Aside: get a better web creator. FrontPage is crap.
    >
    >>> Is LINUX OS any good to try with it?

    > Excellent choice. You don't even have to defrag. You don't state what
    > anti-malware software you use.

    But unless there are windoze machines connected to the network, he
    wouldn't need anti-malware?

    >>> Is anyone there that is able to help with advice on creating web pages
    >>> and posting them?

    > That's an entirely different subject. You should ask in alt.html Be
    > prepared to post the URL to your current best effort.
    >
    >> One more info that just came to my mind: I have a copy of OFFICE2003
    >> installed on the computer, which I have bought in China, for 10Rmb
    >> (20cents); before I had Windows XP from the same sorce, and was forced
    >> to uninstall and to install the genuine copy. Could be that the reason
    >> for all the problems?

    > Yes, it could. If using a pirated copy, this could mean you are not
    > getting updates, so necessary with Windows.

    Could also mean the malware is on one or both of the CDs.

    William Poaster, Mar 26, 2009
  7. Uran

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-26, Uran <> wrote:
    > Uran wrote:

    [...]

    > One more info that just came to my mind: I have a copy of OFFICE2003
    > installed on the computer, which I have bought in China, for 10Rmb
    > (20cents); before I had Windows XP from the same sorce, and was forced to
    > uninstall and to install the genuine copy. Could be that the reason for all
    > the problems?

    That probably isn't helping. But you haven't said anything about the
    computer itself; is it powerful enough to run Windows XP properly?
    <http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,1000001098,10000653,00.htm>
    "Windows XP: system requirements Jim Aspinwall ZDNet US and ZDNet.co.uk
    Published: 24 May 2002".

    You also haven't said anything about any 'anti-virus', 'anti-spyware', or
    'firewall' programs you might have. Nor about how you connect to the
    internet.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 26, 2009
  8. William Poaster wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty was heard to say:

    >> Excellent choice. You don't even have to defrag. You don't state
    >> what anti-malware software you use.

    > But unless there are windoze machines connected to the network, he
    > wouldn't need anti-malware?

    I have no anti-anything applications on my Ubuntu computers. An
    anti-virus app might only be necessary if a Linux PC redistributes, say,
    email to Windows boxen. And then only if you care about those users, who
    aren't aware enough to fend for themselves.

    If in a business environment, with a Linux box serving to Windows
    workstations, I probably would, to maintain the integrity of the office.

    I recently acquired a donated laptop with XP that I infrequently attach
    to my network. I'm not worried it will get infected, though. It is
    behind my router, too. And someday when I feel the mood, I'll flatten
    the XP and use a real operating system on it.

    >>> One more info that just came to my mind: I have a copy of OFFICE2003
    >>> installed on the computer, which I have bought in China, for 10Rmb
    >>> (20cents); before I had Windows XP from the same sorce, and was
    >>> forced to uninstall and to install the genuine copy. Could be that
    >>> the reason for all the problems?

    >> Yes, it could. If using a pirated copy, this could mean you are not
    >> getting updates, so necessary with Windows.

    > Could also mean the malware is on one or both of the CDs.

    Good point. You never can be sure of what you get from pirate or other
    unscrupulous sources. Same goes for http://hey! try-my-free-program.com

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 26, 2009
  9. Uran

    Uran Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2009-03-26, Uran <> wrote:
    >> Uran wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    >> One more info that just came to my mind: I have a copy of OFFICE2003
    >> installed on the computer, which I have bought in China, for 10Rmb
    >> (20cents); before I had Windows XP from the same sorce, and was
    >> forced to uninstall and to install the genuine copy. Could be that
    >> the reason for all the problems?

    > That probably isn't helping. But you haven't said anything about the
    > computer itself; is it powerful enough to run Windows XP properly?
    > <http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,1000001098,10000653,00.htm>
    > "Windows XP: system requirements Jim Aspinwall ZDNet US and
    > ZDNet.co.uk Published: 24 May 2002".
    >
    > You also haven't said anything about any 'anti-virus',
    > 'anti-spyware', or 'firewall' programs you might have. Nor about how
    > you connect to the internet.

    Laptop is Haier 120GB HD, 1GB RAM (now upgraded to 2GB), 1.87GHz CPU Intel
    Celeron. Anti-virus: TREND Micro, does not show any signs of being
    infected.

    Uran, Mar 26, 2009
  10. Uran

    thanatoid Guest

    "Uran" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > Laptop is Haier 120GB HD, 1GB RAM (now upgraded to 2GB),
    > 1.87GHz CPU Intel Celeron. Anti-virus: TREND Micro, does
    > not show any signs of being infected.

    You DON'T NEED anything better.

    BUT it only has ONE partition (look it up), C, right? (MAYBE D
    for "restore files".)

    I believe you have 3 problems:

    1. One partition is like a house with no rooms - just the
    outside walls. EVERYTHING inside is all in ONE huge pile and you
    have to live in it, find your toothbrush, find your kitchen,
    remove 100 lbs. of crap from the stove to cook something, dig
    through a tan of stuff to find your telephone, etc. etc.

    2. You need to install and run Spybot-Search & Destroy. You may
    have malware TrendMicro did not pick up. No AV program finds
    EVERYTHING. ESET NOD32 is very good. $20 at www.purplus.com
    (that's 1/2 price).

    3. You need to maintain tour computer properly. Clean out all
    the temp and cache files, STOP using IE/OE - they are both
    dangerous and cause computer troubles (I suggest XNews for news
    and Opera for www and "something else" for mail, maybe
    Thunderbird). You need to scandisk and defrag once in a while,
    etc.

    None of #3 will help until you have divided you disk into at
    least 4-6 partitions and C ONLY HAS THE OS (XP is Windows shit,
    but it IS an OK OS) and the programs.

    EVERYTHING ELSE goes on other partitions, named accordingly.

    You need to back everything up onto CD-R or DVD-R (or RW) and
    either use Partition Magic hoping you data does not get
    destroyed, or just wipe the drive, format it, make partitions,
    and reinstall everything.

    Good luck.

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)

    thanatoid, Mar 26, 2009
  11. Uran wrote:

    > Whiskers wrote:

    >> You also haven't said anything about any 'anti-virus',
    >> 'anti-spyware', or 'firewall' programs you might have. Nor about how
    >> you connect to the internet.

    > Laptop is Haier 120GB HD, 1GB RAM (now upgraded to 2GB), 1.87GHz CPU Intel
    > Celeron. Anti-virus: TREND Micro, does not show any signs of being
    > infected.

    You may try www.eicar.com to test if your av hasn't already been silently
    deactivated. Do the regular av updates still work?
    Just for interest, run housecall.
    If that av version is a pirate copy as well, do not trust it.

    Often a laptop getting slow and unstable can be caused by a harddisk on it's
    way out.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 26, 2009
  12. Uran

    chuckcar Guest

    "Uran" <> wrote in

    > I have the eternal trouble with just about everything on my laptop;
    > defragging takes eons and after is "clean" takes only two minutes to
    > leave it alone and is full again.

    Point one: a *very* common misconception, defragmenting your hard drive
    does *absolutely* nothing to speed up a computer.

    > Now, I have disconnected external
    > mouse (tried a number of them and everyone becomes unstable), and have
    > disconnected external keyboard (the same, and cannot use laptop's one
    > because makes my hands very painful and tired).
    >
    > Anyhow, more than not, the programs are not responding, and computer
    > just becomes numb. I was so many times at the shop; after a very little
    > while the same thing. It can handle word-processing but, since I do not
    > know what it really entails, I am suspecting that it just handles it. I
    > need the machine for creating my blogs and also to post those blogs etc.
    > Can it handle FrontPage or similar programs.

    Possibly because several programs are *already* running? try disabling
    startup entirely and see if that fixes your problem. That *is* the single
    largest problem causer in MS windows computers - with the *possible*
    exception of malware.

    start->run msconfig<enter>

    click the box beside startup to remove it from being used.
    click apply and restart.
    When windows comes back, it *will* ask you if you want to undo this - say
    no and *no* to a restart. This is crucial that you get this right.

    See how the computer works then. If you have the same problem, by all
    means repeat the start of the above and click the box again and apply to
    undo it.

    Another thing to do is to shut down your computer - so it actually turns
    *completely* off when you're not using it. Do *not* leave your computer
    either on or in standby or the screensaver overnight.

    > Is LINUX OS any good to try with it? Is anyone there that is able to
    > help with advice on creating web pages and posting them? Your help is
    > needed and will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Linux is a completely different OS. Even assuming you could get all your
    hardware set up properly and replacement versions of the software your use
    - the windows ones *won't* work of course except with some doing at
    *best*, you still would have to learn a different way of doing things as
    well.

    None of the above is anywhere *near* as easy with linux as with MS
    Windows.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 26, 2009
  13. Uran

    G. Morgan Guest

    chuckTard wrote:

    >Point one: a *very* common misconception, defragmenting your hard drive
    >does *absolutely* nothing to speed up a computer.

    Doop 'de doo!!

    G. Morgan, Mar 27, 2009
  14. chuckcar wrote:

    > "Uran" <> wrote:
    >> I have the eternal trouble with just about everything on my laptop;
    >> defragging takes eons and after is "clean" takes only two minutes to
    >> leave it alone and is full again.

    > Point one: a *very* common misconception, defragmenting your hard
    > drive does *absolutely* nothing to speed up a computer.

    (more like) POOP 'de doo!! <lol>

    >> Now, I have disconnected external ..
    >>

    > Possibly because several programs are *already* running? try disabling
    > startup entirely and see if that fixes your problem.

    The Chucktard CureAll. Completely disable everything. Heh, disabling
    *everything* already running will cripple it. And if he gets lucky and
    doesn't completely blow it up, how will he do any productive work if
    everything is shut off?

    > That *is* the single largest problem causer in MS windows computers -

    Hogwash.

    > with the *possible* exception of malware.

    Now, there you *have* said something. *15 million* Windows users are
    going to find out in five days. (And those are only the ones infested
    with the Conficker worm, and none of the other 150,000 Windows
    maladies.)

    > start->run msconfig<enter>
    >
    > click the box beside startup to remove it from being used.

    ...so it doesn't start.

    > Another thing to do is to shut down your computer - so it actually
    > turns *completely* off when you're not using it. Do *not* leave your
    > computer either on or in standby or the screensaver overnight.

    And why is that? My computer has been on, running, and connected to the
    Internet since the last neighborhood power outage, and still works just
    fine. 43 days.

    >> Is LINUX OS any good to try with it?

    > Linux is a completely different OS.

    Wow, you got at least *one* statement correct.

    > Even assuming you could get all your hardware set up properly and
    > replacement versions of the software your use - the windows ones
    > *won't* work of course except with some doing at *best*, you still
    > would have to learn a different way of doing things as well.

    Hogwash.

    Nearly everything the average home user needs is included by default in,
    say, an Ubuntu installation.. and 20,000 more - free - programs are
    available at the click of a mouse. They work exactly like "Windows"
    programs. Many, like Firefox, Thunderbird, Opera, The GIMP, Google
    Earth, and tons more, are cross-platform and so are *identical* on any
    operating system.

    Note I am using a Windows-only newsreader, which took about five minutes
    to install in Wine, the Linux Windows emulator.

    > None of the above is anywhere *near* as easy with linux as with MS
    > Windows.

    Double Hogwash.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 27, 2009
  15. Uran

    Guest

    Uran wrote:
    > I have the eternal trouble with just about everything on my laptop;
    > defragging takes eons and after is "clean" takes only two minutes to leave
    > it alone and is full again. Now, I have disconnected external mouse (tried a
    > number of them and everyone becomes unstable), and have disconnected
    > external keyboard (the same, and cannot use laptop's one because makes my
    > hands very painful and tired).
    >
    > Anyhow, more than not, the programs are not responding, and computer just
    > becomes numb. I was so many times at the shop; after a very little while the
    > same thing. It can handle word-processing but, since I do not know what it
    > really entails, I am suspecting that it just handles it. I need the machine
    > for creating my blogs and also to post those blogs etc. Can it handle
    > FrontPage or similar programs.
    >
    > Is LINUX OS any good to try with it? Is anyone there that is able to help
    > with advice on creating web pages and posting them? Your help is needed and
    > will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    I use windows2000 for my laptops. You can find good copies in busy
    torrents. I use these as backup copies.

    PcLinux is good for most users. Free, will recognize most hardware.

    Download the ISO, burn it to cd. I like deepburner it's free. Have the
    laptop boot from cd, you may need to boot into the BIOS, should say
    how to do that on the startup screen. Then boot with the cd and you
    will (should) have a usable linux operating system from cd. You can
    see if it works to your liking then install easily to hard drive if
    desired

    , Mar 27, 2009
  16. On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:45:47 -0400, above the shrieking & whining of the
    trolls, Beauregard T. Shagnasty was heard to say:

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> "Uran" <> wrote:
    >>> I have the eternal trouble with just about everything on my laptop;
    >>> defragging takes eons and after is "clean" takes only two minutes to
    >>> leave it alone and is full again.

    >> Point one: a *very* common misconception, defragmenting your hard drive
    >> does *absolutely* nothing to speed up a computer.

    > (more like) POOP 'de doo!! <lol>
    >
    >>> Now, I have disconnected external ..
    >>>

    >> Possibly because several programs are *already* running? try disabling
    >> startup entirely and see if that fixes your problem.

    > The Chucktard CureAll. Completely disable everything. Heh, disabling
    > *everything* already running will cripple it. And if he gets lucky and
    > doesn't completely blow it up, how will he do any productive work if
    > everything is shut off?
    >
    >> That *is* the single largest problem causer in MS windows computers -

    > Hogwash.
    >
    >> with the *possible* exception of malware.

    > Now, there you *have* said something. *15 million* Windows users are going
    > to find out in five days. (And those are only the ones infested with the
    > Conficker worm, and none of the other 150,000 Windows maladies.)
    >
    >> start->run msconfig<enter>
    >>
    >> click the box beside startup to remove it from being used.

    > ..so it doesn't start.
    >
    >> Another thing to do is to shut down your computer - so it actually turns
    >> *completely* off when you're not using it. Do *not* leave your computer
    >> either on or in standby or the screensaver overnight.

    > And why is that? My computer has been on, running, and connected to the
    > Internet since the last neighborhood power outage, and still works just
    > fine. 43 days.
    >
    >>> Is LINUX OS any good to try with it?

    >> Linux is a completely different OS.

    > Wow, you got at least *one* statement correct.
    >
    >> Even assuming you could get all your hardware set up properly and
    >> replacement versions of the software your use - the windows ones *won't*
    >> work of course except with some doing at *best*, you still would have to
    >> learn a different way of doing things as well.

    > Hogwash.
    >
    > Nearly everything the average home user needs is included by default in,
    > say, an Ubuntu installation.. and 20,000 more - free - programs are
    > available at the click of a mouse. They work exactly like "Windows"
    > programs. Many, like Firefox, Thunderbird, Opera, The GIMP, Google Earth,
    > and tons more, are cross-platform and so are *identical* on any operating
    > system.
    >
    > Note I am using a Windows-only newsreader, which took about five minutes
    > to install in Wine, the Linux Windows emulator.
    >
    >> None of the above is anywhere *near* as easy with linux as with MS
    >> Windows.

    > Double Hogwash.

    It's funny to see how these windows users like Chucktard, like to show
    their ignorance & that they haven't got one single *clue* about Linux.
    Well except for Linux being "a completely different OS" that is.

    William Poaster, Mar 27, 2009
  17. Uran

    thanatoid Guest

    "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > I have 4 partitions: C, D, E, and F.

    Good for you! I am happy to have been wrong. In this case, the
    SINGLE partition of course is not your main problem, although I
    will mention that MY C partition is under 4GB, and the rest of
    my 40GB drive has 15 other partitions, and it never takes longer
    than a minutes to defrag ANY of them.

    > On C are just program
    > files, and that is about 40GB then, D is 30GB, E is 35GB
    > and F is 15GB. I shall try that link that you suggested,
    > thank, and see if there is something of that sort.

    > But, I
    > must confess that I did install some spyware on it in order
    > to see who operates my laptop when I am not present;

    If YOU install it yourself knowingly, it is not really spyware
    in the sense it is usually used - but programs that "sneak
    around" are suspicious, and who knows what they do.

    Another thing if you tend to install a lot of strange stuff (for
    a lack of better term) I would HIGHLY suggest is a program like
    InControl from P{C Magazine (free) or InstallSpy (maybe free, I
    use the other one). They track EVERYTHING any program installs
    and all the changes in the registry and all system files.
    Invaluable - one could argue it eliminates the need for AV - if
    you are willing to go through the hell it can be to get rid of a
    virus once you have it...

    > was, one of them was REFOG, then Perfect Keylogger and some
    > other, but they all should be there now, because I have
    > them uninstalled; but who knows, maybe not properly. C
    > drive was formated and they maybe still somewhere on D, E
    > or F drive.

    Of the hundreds of programs I have installed and deleted, MAYBE
    10% have uninstalled properly. Most leave ALL sorts of crap -
    fortunately, usually only on C. That's where
    InControl/InstallSpy etc. are invaluable - you can actually
    COMPLETELY remove EVERYTHING manually - although in SOME cases
    it can take hours, like if the program writes 500 lines of crap
    to the registry.

    Best wishes.

    thanatoid, Mar 27, 2009
  18. thanatoid wrote:

    > .. although I will mention that MY C partition is under 4GB, and the
    > rest of my 40GB drive has 15 other partitions, and it never takes
    > longer than a minutes to defrag ANY of them.

    "..and my operating system is over 11 years old!"

    I would imagine breaking a 40GB drive into 16 partitions wastes a lot of
    space. And it should not take long to defrag two gigabytes of likely
    rarely changed data.

    :)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 27, 2009
  19. Uran

    thanatoid Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote
    in news:gqj0ng$b47$:

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> .. although I will mention that MY C partition is under
    >> 4GB, and the rest of my 40GB drive has 15 other
    >> partitions, and it never takes longer than a minutes to
    >> defrag ANY of them.

    > "..and my operating system is over 11 years old!"

    And I am keeping it that way! Besides, it's the same with XP
    which I did try but found pointless at this stage in my life.
    98SELite and XP uses the exact same amount of RAM, and don't
    touch swap file.

    > I would imagine breaking a 40GB drive into 16 partitions
    > wastes a lot of space.

    Care to explain what that means??? I do NOT see how it wastes
    any (it may waste a few hundred bytes for structuring/directory
    tracking purposes, like the MBR). In either case, the benefits
    would FAR outweigh such "waste".

    > And it should not take long to
    > defrag two gigabytes of likely rarely changed data.

    Just starting a windows session and opening three programs and
    doing NOTHING with them fragments files you don't even know
    exist (so to speak). Try it. Defrag, reboot, and defrag again -
    watching the little rectangles AKA "show details". Astonishing.
    Then defrag, reboot, spend ten minutes with on the web, reboot,
    defrag with details. Scary.

    thanatoid, Mar 27, 2009
  20. thanatoid wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> thanatoid wrote:
    >>> .. although I will mention that MY C partition is under 4GB, and the
    >>> rest of my 40GB drive has 15 other partitions, and it never takes
    >>> longer than a minutes to defrag ANY of them.

    >> "..and my operating system is over 11 years old!"

    > And I am keeping it that way! Besides, it's the same with XP which I
    > did try but found pointless at this stage in my life. 98SELite and XP
    > uses the exact same amount of RAM, and don't touch swap file.

    I would think that XP would use more ram than 98SELite.

    >> I would imagine breaking a 40GB drive into 16 partitions wastes a lot
    >> of space.

    > Care to explain what that means??? I do NOT see how it wastes any (it
    > may waste a few hundred bytes for structuring/directory tracking
    > purposes, like the MBR). In either case, the benefits would FAR
    > outweigh such "waste".

    Yes, bytes for structuring, probably more. Non-benefits would include
    increased backup rigors, and .. deciding if partition X is big enough,
    has enough free space, to contain 'this' file.

    >> And it should not take long to defrag two gigabytes of likely rarely
    >> changed data.

    > Just starting a windows session and opening three programs and doing
    > NOTHING with them fragments files you don't even know exist (so to
    > speak). Try it. Defrag, reboot, and defrag again - watching the
    > little rectangles AKA "show details". Astonishing. Then defrag,
    > reboot, spend ten minutes with on the web, reboot, defrag with
    > details. Scary.

    I'm sorry, I can't do that. My operating system does not require
    defragging, so I'll just have to take your word for it that it does in
    your Windows.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 27, 2009