    Or, at the very least, will apps that have to have Windows 2000
    installed run in Windows ME if they're not the same thing?

    Thanks.

    fitwell, Jul 10, 2003

  2. fitwell <> wrote in
    news::

    > Is Windows ME the same as Windows 2000?

    No, Windows ME and Windows 2000 are very different.

    > Or, at the very least, will apps that have to have Windows 2000
    > installed run in Windows ME if they're not the same thing?

    Maybe, maybe not. Some software houses use an OS to create and test the
    application, and don't test it under any other OS, which makes support
    easier.

    Probably not. "k has 'lots of stuff' that ME doesn't. If you have the
    choice of ME or 2k, choose 2k.

    Some of the problems may be subtle, does the software maker have a support
    site for 'known problems' ?

    (If you have the choice of ME or pushing rusty pins in your eyes choose the
    rusty pins.)

    Santiago Zawojski, Jul 10, 2003

  3. fitwell

    rifleman Guest

    In news:,
    fitwell <> typed:
    > Or, at the very least, will apps that have to have Windows 2000
    > installed run in Windows ME if they're not the same thing?
    >
    > Thanks.

    try here:

    http://www.labmice.net/FAQ/win2000faq.htm

    --
    (I may be wrong...I usually am....)
    Google is your Friend

    rifleman, Jul 10, 2003
  4. fitwell

    paul s Guest

    fitwell wrote:

    Nope they are totally different. ME is based on Win 9.x, a 16/32 bit OS,
    32bit GUI/kernel/drivers running on a 16bit MS-DOS base. 2000 is based on
    Win-NT, completely 32bit no MS-DOS.

    > Or, at the very least, will apps that have to have Windows 2000
    > installed run in Windows ME if they're not the same thing?

    Some 'professional' apps do require a completely 32bit Win OS, i.e. NT,
    2000, XP (Home and Pro), Server 2003.

    --
    Paul S

    paul s, Jul 10, 2003
  5. fitwell

    fitwell Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:42:46 GMT, paul s <> wrote:

    >paul s wrote:
    >
    >> fitwell wrote:
    >>
    >> Nope they are totally different. ME is based on Win 9.x, a 16/32 bit OS,
    >> 32bit GUI/kernel/drivers running on a 16bit MS-DOS base. 2000 is based on
    >> Win-NT, completely 32bit no MS-DOS.
    >>
    >>> Or, at the very least, will apps that have to have Windows 2000
    >>> installed run in Windows ME if they're not the same thing?

    >> Some 'professional' apps do require a completely 32bit Win OS, i.e. NT,
    >> 2000, XP (Home and Pro), Server 2003.

    >PS.
    >
    >ME was one of the most buggy, BSOD-prone versions of Win there was. 2000 is
    >very reliable.

    Thank you for everyone's response. I learned something else today.
    <g>

    fitwell, Jul 10, 2003