    WiFi with the camera Nikon P3.
    Knowing that I can use a card reader and download directly from the camera
    to the computer is WiFi worth it?

    Guest, Nov 16, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > I am just about to purchase a new camera. For a few dollars more I
    > can get WiFi with the camera Nikon P3.
    > Knowing that I can use a card reader and download directly from the
    > camera to the computer is WiFi worth it?

    Nope! It's simply not worth it since it is totally slow, cumbersome, and a
    wasteful drain on the battery. You are much better off keeping everything
    on the SD card and placing that in the card reader. WiFi is a disappointing
    novelty on these cameras.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 16, 2006

  3. Guest

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:43:13 GMT, <> <> wrote:

    >I am just about to purchase a new camera. For a few dollars more I can get
    >WiFi with the camera Nikon P3.
    >Knowing that I can use a card reader and download directly from the camera
    >to the computer is WiFi worth it?

    Only you can answer that. Do you have trouble connecting a cable?
    You still have open it up to remove the battery to charge it, or
    to connect a plug to charge.

    AZ Nomad, Nov 16, 2006
  4. Guest

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    wrote:
    > I am just about to purchase a new camera. For a few dollars more I can get
    > WiFi with the camera Nikon P3.
    > Knowing that I can use a card reader and download directly from the camera
    > to the computer is WiFi worth it?

    No .. unless it adds some capability (like control
    of camera from the computer).

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Nov 16, 2006
  5. Guest

    George K Guest

    Some might think it is easier to configure WiFi than plug in a cable or
    a card. Besides I think it is wonderful some individual might be able
    to send all his photos to my printer or transfers them to my MAC.

    George K, Nov 16, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I do not know much about this Nikon P3. I am learning about it. The P4 has
    no WiFi and sells for a little less money.
    I may have to take another week or so before buying it.

    Guest, Nov 16, 2006
  7. Guest

    Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:

    > I am just about to purchase a new camera. For a few dollars more I can get
    > WiFi with the camera Nikon P3.
    > Knowing that I can use a card reader and download directly from the camera
    > to the computer is WiFi worth it?

    How would you plan on using the Wi-Fi "feature"?
    Do you really NEED it or do you just want to play with it?
    I'd put it in the same class as movie mode on P/S cameras.
    A fun novelty for a few times. But then you brush off your old VideoCam
    and find out it works a whole lot better than the hot new feature of
    your new Digicam..... YMMV......Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Nov 17, 2006
  8. Guest

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > I am just about to purchase a new camera. For a few dollars more I can get
    > WiFi with the camera Nikon P3.
    > Knowing that I can use a card reader and download directly from the camera
    > to the computer is WiFi worth it?

    Only you can answer that question. I would find it useful, but then I
    already have a Wi-Fi network at home. It would certainly make
    transferring images less 'messy'.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 17, 2006
  9. Guest

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am just about to purchase a new camera. For a few dollars more I
    >> can get WiFi with the camera Nikon P3.
    >> Knowing that I can use a card reader and download directly from the
    >> camera to the computer is WiFi worth it?

    > Nope! It's simply not worth it since it is totally slow, cumbersome, and a
    > wasteful drain on the battery. You are much better off keeping everything
    > on the SD card and placing that in the card reader. WiFi is a
    > disappointing
    > novelty on these cameras.
    >

    > Rita

    Define 'slow', and 'cumbersome'. Battery drain, certainly.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 17, 2006
  10. Guest

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am just about to purchase a new camera. For a few dollars more I
    >> can get WiFi with the camera Nikon P3.
    >> Knowing that I can use a card reader and download directly from the
    >> camera to the computer is WiFi worth it?
    >>

    > How would you plan on using the Wi-Fi "feature"?
    > Do you really NEED it or do you just want to play with it?
    > I'd put it in the same class as movie mode on P/S cameras.
    > A fun novelty for a few times. But then you brush off your old VideoCam
    > and find out it works a whole lot better than the hot new feature of
    > your new Digicam..... YMMV......Bob Williams

    While I wouldn't consider 'movie mode' a major selling point in a P&S
    camera, I do find use for it now and then. I certainly don't find
    enough use for video to carry around a still AND movie camera. Since my
    emphasis is on the still pictures, having the ability to shoot a small
    video is a nice 'extra'. Sometimes, motion is the aspect I want to
    catch (such as children playing), or dancing fountains, or.....
    Better to have it, and not need it, than vice versa.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 17, 2006
  11. Guest

    Bob Williams Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Bob Williams wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am just about to purchase a new camera. For a few dollars more I
    >>> can get WiFi with the camera Nikon P3.
    >>> Knowing that I can use a card reader and download directly from the
    >>> camera to the computer is WiFi worth it?
    >>>

    >> How would you plan on using the Wi-Fi "feature"?
    >> Do you really NEED it or do you just want to play with it?
    >> I'd put it in the same class as movie mode on P/S cameras.
    >> A fun novelty for a few times. But then you brush off your old
    >> VideoCam and find out it works a whole lot better than the hot new
    >> feature of your new Digicam..... YMMV......Bob Williams
    >>

    > While I wouldn't consider 'movie mode' a major selling point in a P&S
    > camera, I do find use for it now and then. I certainly don't find
    > enough use for video to carry around a still AND movie camera. Since my
    > emphasis is on the still pictures, having the ability to shoot a small
    > video is a nice 'extra'. Sometimes, motion is the aspect I want to
    > catch (such as children playing), or dancing fountains, or.....
    > Better to have it, and not need it, than vice versa.

    Yes!
    That is what I meant. I have used Movie Mode myself on some rare
    occasions but it is not a feature I would pay much for like a sensor
    with a larger pixel pitch or IS, or 10-12X Zoom. Although my Panny FZ 15
    has a Movie Mode, it was not a consideration when I bought the camera.
    I think the fact that DSLRs do no typically have Movie Mode attests to
    its limited appeal to serious photographers.
    Bob

    Bob Williams, Nov 17, 2006
  12. Guest

    Petri Lopia Guest

    On 2006-11-16, <> <> wrote:
    > I am just about to purchase a new camera. For a few dollars more I can get
    > WiFi with the camera Nikon P3.
    > Knowing that I can use a card reader and download directly from the camera
    > to the computer is WiFi worth it?

    What I have read there is not reason to get WiFi to digital camera.
    It's not working so well that you could use it anything.

    It might be nice toy but...

    --
    Petri Lopia :: lid
    Lightnings, StormChasing, Moon, Nature:

    Petri Lopia, Nov 21, 2006
  13. Guest

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On 16 Nov 2006 13:28:46 -0800, George K <> wrote:

    >Some might think it is easier to configure WiFi than plug in a cable or
    >a card. Besides I think it is wonderful some individual might be able
    >to send all his photos to my printer or transfers them to my MAC.

    Surrrrre. Set up to scan for wireless networks, select the SSID,
    enter the WEP key, connect. So much easier than plugging one end of the
    cable into the camera, and plugging the other end into your PC. Even
    easier than placing the camera on a docking station and letting go.

    AZ Nomad, Nov 21, 2006
  14. Guest

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 03:31:01 -0600, Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    >Define 'slow', and 'cumbersome'. Battery drain, certainly.

    Define dictionary.

    AZ Nomad, Nov 21, 2006
  15. Guest

    Ron Hunter Guest

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On 16 Nov 2006 13:28:46 -0800, George K <> wrote:
    >

    >> Some might think it is easier to configure WiFi than plug in a cable or
    >> a card. Besides I think it is wonderful some individual might be able
    >> to send all his photos to my printer or transfers them to my MAC.

    > Surrrrre. Set up to scan for wireless networks, select the SSID,
    > enter the WEP key, connect. So much easier than plugging one end of the
    > cable into the camera, and plugging the other end into your PC. Even
    > easier than placing the camera on a docking station and letting go.

    After first setup. Press a button while out in the garden, and have the
    pictures transferred to your computer in the house? That's not easy?

    Ron Hunter, Nov 22, 2006
  16. Guest

    George K Guest

    The problem is the first setup or having to repeat the setup at a
    friends house.

    Of course you could just chose any open adhoc network.

    George K, Nov 22, 2006
  17. Guest

    Ron Hunter Guest

    George K wrote:
    > The problem is the first setup or having to repeat the setup at a
    > friends house.
    >
    > Of course you could just chose any open adhoc network.
    >
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> AZ Nomad wrote:

    >>> Surrrrre. Set up to scan for wireless networks, select the SSID,
    >>> enter the WEP key, connect. So much easier than plugging one end of the
    >>> cable into the camera, and plugging the other end into your PC. Even
    >>> easier than placing the camera on a docking station and letting go.

    >> After first setup. Press a button while out in the garden, and have the
    >> pictures transferred to your computer in the house? That's not easy?

    I don't know that I would want my pictures uploading to the wrong
    network. Grin.
    Still, it rates slightly above the 'movie mode' on desirable features.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 22, 2006
  18. In article <B347h.20865$>,
    <> wrote:

    > I am just about to purchase a new camera. For a few dollars more I can get
    > WiFi with the camera Nikon P3.
    > Knowing that I can use a card reader and download directly from the camera
    > to the computer is WiFi worth it?

    The only good reason to get WiFi would be to upload photos away from
    home. Not only does the camera not do that, but most open WiFi networks
    are so trashed from infected Windoze laptops that their remaining
    bandwidth is useless.

    The Nikon P3 only connects to a WiFi network after being plugged in to a
    computer for configuration. If you're so close to your own home
    network, why not just plug the memory card into a reader? It seems
    silly.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Nov 23, 2006
  19. Guest

    POHB Guest

    wrote:
    > I am just about to purchase a new camera. For a few dollars more I can get
    > WiFi with the camera Nikon P3.
    > Knowing that I can use a card reader and download directly from the camera
    > to the computer is WiFi worth it?

    WiFi is about 10 times slower than USB. Do you want to wait 5 minutes
    to transfer your pictures or 30 seconds?

    POHB, Nov 23, 2006
  20. Guest

    Ron Hunter Guest

    POHB wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I am just about to purchase a new camera. For a few dollars more I can get
    >> WiFi with the camera Nikon P3.
    >> Knowing that I can use a card reader and download directly from the camera
    >> to the computer is WiFi worth it?

    > WiFi is about 10 times slower than USB. Do you want to wait 5 minutes
    > to transfer your pictures or 30 seconds?

    funny. My laptop Wi-Fi runs at 54mbps. USB 1.1 runs at 12mbps, and USB
    2.0 HiSpeed runs at 480mbps (theoretically). Actual speeds transferring
    a card to computer via USB 2 will usually be limited by the speed of the
    card, the fastest of which only a bit faster than that 54mbps. It's
    pretty much a moot question, given that few cameras offer the feature,
    and not many people seen interested in it.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 23, 2006