Is what I believe about 64 bit systems true?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Chaz, Dec 5, 2009.

  1. Chaz

    Chaz Guest

    Hi:
    I am currently planning my next workstation, and am considering a 64bit
    machine. This machine will be prebuilt from Dell/Sony/Whoever, so there
    shouldn’t be any driver issues.
    I want to explain why I am considering a 64 bit machine, because it may be
    that the information I have regarding 64 bit machines are incorrect. The
    following statements are things I believe to be true, but they may not be
    true. Please let me know if I really need a 64 bit verses 32 bit. Most of the
    work I do is Music creation and video editing.

    1. 64 bit machines allow more RAM (over 4GB) so even if I’m running non 64
    bit applications; my machine will still run a bit faster.

    2. A 32 bit machine with 4 GB of RAM running 32 bit apps will run slower
    than a 64 bit machine with 8GB of ram, running the same 32 bit apps.

    3. Windows 7 64 bit needs about 2 GB of RAM. If I want my gadgets and
    widgets to run, all while Norton Antivirus and Systemworks Etc… is running, I
    should get at least 4GB of RAM above the 2GB needed to run Windows.

    Thanks in advance for your opinions and assistance!
    Chaz

    Chaz, Dec 5, 2009

  2. "Chaz" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi:
    > I am currently planning my next workstation, and am considering a 64bit
    > machine. This machine will be prebuilt from Dell/Sony/Whoever, so there
    > shouldn't be any driver issues.
    > I want to explain why I am considering a 64 bit machine, because it may be
    > that the information I have regarding 64 bit machines are incorrect. The
    > following statements are things I believe to be true, but they may not be
    > true. Please let me know if I really need a 64 bit verses 32 bit. Most of
    > the
    > work I do is Music creation and video editing.
    >
    > 1. 64 bit machines allow more RAM (over 4GB) so even if I'm running non 64
    > bit applications; my machine will still run a bit faster.

    Yes and no

    > 2. A 32 bit machine with 4 GB of RAM running 32 bit apps will run slower
    > than a 64 bit machine with 8GB of ram, running the same 32 bit apps.

    Definitely no

    > 3. Windows 7 64 bit needs about 2 GB of RAM. If I want my gadgets and
    > widgets to run, all while Norton Antivirus and Systemworks Etc. is
    > running, I
    > should get at least 4GB of RAM above the 2GB needed to run Windows.

    A 64-bit Windows starts making sense with more than 3GB RAM, since a 32bit
    Windows can only handle between 3 and 3.5 GB RAM

    Ralf Baumhoefer, Dec 5, 2009

  3. Chaz

    Bogey Man Guest

    "Chaz" <> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    > I am currently planning my next workstation, and am considering a 64bit
    > machine. This machine will be prebuilt from Dell/Sony/Whoever, so there
    > shouldn’t be any driver issues.
    > I want to explain why I am considering a 64 bit machine, because it may be
    > that the information I have regarding 64 bit machines are incorrect. The
    > following statements are things I believe to be true, but they may not be
    > true. Please let me know if I really need a 64 bit verses 32 bit. Most of
    > the
    > work I do is Music creation and video editing.
    >
    > 1. 64 bit machines allow more RAM (over 4GB) so even if I’m running non
    > 64
    > bit applications; my machine will still run a bit faster.

    If you have a 64 bit operating system then and your Motherboard supports it
    then you can use more than 4 gigs of ram to go along with your 64 bit
    processor.

    > 2. A 32 bit machine with 4 GB of RAM running 32 bit apps will run slower
    > than a 64 bit machine with 8GB of ram, running the same 32 bit apps.

    In my case my 64 bit Quad core computer with 8 gigs of ram runs my 32 bit
    applications quicker than my previous computer that had a 32 bit operating
    system and 4 gigs of ram.

    > 3. Windows 7 64 bit needs about 2 GB of RAM. If I want my gadgets and
    > widgets to run, all while Norton Antivirus and Systemworks Etc… is
    > running, I
    > should get at least 4GB of RAM above the 2GB needed to run Windows.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your opinions and assistance!
    > Chaz

    With 73 processes running, I have just over 6 gigs memory free.

    Hope that this helps

    Bogey Man, Dec 6, 2009
  4. Chaz

    Poutnik Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > > 2. A 32 bit machine with 4 GB of RAM running 32 bit apps will run slower
    > > than a 64 bit machine with 8GB of ram, running the same 32 bit apps.

    > In my case my 64 bit Quad core computer with 8 gigs of ram runs my 32 bit
    > applications quicker than my previous computer that had a 32 bit operating
    > system and 4 gigs of ram.

    The same HW system,
    running 32 bit app in WOW64 subsystem of 64bit Windows,
    is said very slightly slower ( 0.x % ),
    comparing to running 32b app in 32 bit OS.

    --
    Poutnik
    The best depends on how the best is defined.

    Poutnik, Dec 7, 2009