Is Voip.co.uk more reliable than Sipgate?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Sam Jones, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Sam Jones wrote:
    > On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:43:39 +0000, wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:00:08 GMT, wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have in fact had both numbers receiving and calling out perfectly
    >>> tonight via soft phones but when I put the settings back into my
    >>> Sipura's no joy

    >> Riiight. So when you changed things at your end, it works. Sounds like
    >> it is a problem at their end, not how the user set things up. Well,
    >> not very much. OK, not at all.
    >>
    >> As I said, the problem is almost certainly user settings.

    > Looks like I made the wrong choice. I can't receive any incoming calls
    > this afternoon. Does anyone provide a service you can rely on?

    How about using more than one service for incoming calls and getting a
    number with a carousel service on (to make the multiple incoming
    transparent).

    Mind you,. you'll probably need to pay for incoming calls on that number
    (or have it as an 0845).
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 26, 2006

  2. Sam Jones

    Guest

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 16:46:25 GMT, Sam Jones <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:43:39 +0000, wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:00:08 GMT, wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have in fact had both numbers receiving and calling out perfectly
    >>>tonight via soft phones but when I put the settings back into my
    >>>Sipura's no joy

    >>Riiight. So when you changed things at your end, it works. Sounds like
    >>it is a problem at their end, not how the user set things up. Well,
    >>not very much. OK, not at all.
    >>
    >>As I said, the problem is almost certainly user settings.

    >Looks like I made the wrong choice. I can't receive any incoming calls
    >this afternoon. Does anyone provide a service you can rely on?

    Our three voip.co lines are working ok Sam I suspect it is either a
    server of theirs or a provider they use playing up .
    , Mar 26, 2006

  3. Sam Jones

    Dave Gill Guest

    Sam Jones wrote:

    > Looks like I made the wrong choice. I can't receive any incoming calls
    > this afternoon. Does anyone provide a service you can rely on?

    I've found Voip.co.uk to be pretty reliable so far, but here it's used
    almost exclusively for outgoing calls (on the £20 for the year option).

    For an incoming VoIP number I use Gradwell, which costs me a little
    under a fiver a month. I know some people aren't happy with paying line
    rental for a VoIP line, but the way I look at it is it's less than half
    the price of the Telewest line I used to have and it's just as reliable.

    YPYM,YTYC

    Dave Gill, Mar 27, 2006
  4. Sam Jones

    Guest

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:18:57 +0100, Dave Gill
    <> wrote:

    >I've found Voip.co.uk to be pretty reliable so far, but here it's used
    >almost exclusively for outgoing calls (on the £20 for the year option).
    >
    >For an incoming VoIP number I use Gradwell, which costs me a little
    >under a fiver a month. I know some people aren't happy with paying line
    >rental for a VoIP line, but the way I look at it is it's less than half
    >the price of the Telewest line I used to have and it's just as reliable.

    So what is wrong with having a second line from voip.co.uk for a
    couple of quid a month instead of paying Gradwell more than
    double do you have a reason for not doing so ? .
    , Mar 27, 2006
  5. Sam Jones

    Dave Gill Guest

    wrote:

    > So what is wrong with having a second line from voip.co.uk for a
    > couple of quid a month instead of paying Gradwell more than
    > double do you have a reason for not doing so ? .

    It's not that I need my incoming line separate to my outgoing line or
    anything like that, one line would be sufficient. However, I've had my
    Gradwell line for some time now and that's the number I give out as my
    home number. I've no reason to change that. The only reason I added
    the Voip.co.uk line was for the inclusive evening calls (love-struck
    teenager in the house...).

    Dave Gill, Mar 27, 2006
  6. Sam Jones

    Guest

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:04:15 +0100, Dave Gill
    <> wrote:

    >It's not that I need my incoming line separate to my outgoing line or
    >anything like that, one line would be sufficient. However, I've had my
    >Gradwell line for some time now and that's the number I give out as my
    >home number. I've no reason to change that. The only reason I added
    >the Voip.co.uk line was for the inclusive evening calls (love-struck
    >teenager in the house...).

    Very handy the free evening and all weekend calls Dave .
    , Mar 27, 2006
  7. wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:18:57 +0100, Dave Gill
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> I've found Voip.co.uk to be pretty reliable so far, but here it's used
    >> almost exclusively for outgoing calls (on the £20 for the year option).
    >>
    >> For an incoming VoIP number I use Gradwell, which costs me a little
    >> under a fiver a month. I know some people aren't happy with paying line
    >> rental for a VoIP line, but the way I look at it is it's less than half
    >> the price of the Telewest line I used to have and it's just as reliable.

    > So what is wrong with having a second line from voip.co.uk for a
    > couple of quid a month instead of paying Gradwell more than
    > double do you have a reason for not doing so ? .

    For a second number with voip.co.uk it's a one-off payment of £2, not
    £2/month.
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 27, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:04:15 +0100, Dave Gill
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> It's not that I need my incoming line separate to my outgoing line or
    >> anything like that, one line would be sufficient. However, I've had my
    >> Gradwell line for some time now and that's the number I give out as my
    >> home number. I've no reason to change that. The only reason I added
    >> the Voip.co.uk line was for the inclusive evening calls (love-struck
    >> teenager in the house...).

    > Very handy the free evening and all weekend calls Dave .

    Or at least it would be if they worked, still nothing from them fixing
    my overbilling problem.

    Important note with voip.co.uk, you need to pay for a call if you are
    making more than one at a time. (and their billing system seems to think
    that I've been on the phone on 2 calls for now 1.5 days which means that
    I can't make any calls without being billed for them).

    And they haven't replied to my support request. (although typically when
    they do they're bloody useless).
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 27, 2006
  9. Sam Jones

    Guest

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:39:11 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    <> wrote:

    >Or at least it would be if they worked, still nothing from them fixing
    >my overbilling problem.
    >
    >Important note with voip.co.uk, you need to pay for a call if you are
    >making more than one at a time. (and their billing system seems to think
    >that I've been on the phone on 2 calls for now 1.5 days which means that
    >I can't make any calls without being billed for them).
    >
    >And they haven't replied to my support request. (although typically when
    >they do they're bloody useless).

    I guess from the tone of your post Tom that you are pissing about
    emailing them rather than using the phone to call them, one of my main
    reasons for disliking Sipgate so much is the fact that there was no
    way of contacting them direct via the phone .
    >And they haven't replied to my support request. (although typically when
    >they do they're bloody useless).

    Your experience of voip.co.uk seems to be entirely different to that
    of mine I have had nothing but help from them when I have contacted
    them by phone .
    On the other hand I cannot get two numbers to remain registered when
    connected via the same IP range I have to have one on 192.168.1.11 and
    the other on 192.168.15.3 .If I put a second number in the 1.11 PAP2
    it stays registered for about five minutes then drops .
    , Mar 28, 2006
  10. wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:39:11 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Or at least it would be if they worked, still nothing from them fixing
    >> my overbilling problem.
    >>
    >> Important note with voip.co.uk, you need to pay for a call if you are
    >> making more than one at a time. (and their billing system seems to think
    >> that I've been on the phone on 2 calls for now 1.5 days which means that
    >> I can't make any calls without being billed for them).
    >>
    >> And they haven't replied to my support request. (although typically when
    >> they do they're bloody useless).

    > I guess from the tone of your post Tom that you are pissing about
    > emailing them rather than using the phone to call them, one of my main
    > reasons for disliking Sipgate so much is the fact that there was no
    > way of contacting them direct via the phone .

    I must be a fool, I figured that they knew how to use a computer.

    >> And they haven't replied to my support request. (although typically when
    >> they do they're bloody useless).

    > Your experience of voip.co.uk seems to be entirely different to that
    > of mine I have had nothing but help from them when I have contacted
    > them by phone .

    I've not tried phoning them. I don't expecially like phoning companies
    to moan at them when an email should suffice.

    > On the other hand I cannot get two numbers to remain registered when
    > connected via the same IP range I have to have one on 192.168.1.11 and
    > the other on 192.168.15.3 .If I put a second number in the 1.11 PAP2
    > it stays registered for about five minutes then drops .

    That sounds very strange (no problem here with that).
    Not just that you appear to be using a /16 (well somewhere between /16
    and /22) subnet but the registration thing. Mind you, you are
    registering through a NAT, completely different situation.
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 28, 2006
  11. Thomas Kenyon wrote:

    >>> Important note with voip.co.uk, you need to pay for a call if you are
    >>> making more than one at a time. (and their billing system seems to think
    >>> that I've been on the phone on 2 calls for now 1.5 days which means that
    >>> I can't make any calls without being billed for them).

    I've just noticed that I can't find anything regarding this on their
    pricing or T's and C's.
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 28, 2006
  12. Sam Jones

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Thomas Kenyon writes

    >I've just noticed that I can't find anything regarding this on their
    >pricing or T's and C's.

    You really ought to speak to them.

    I've had no problems, with 2 lines connected. Although I was away when
    the time changed to BST, so if there was a problem then, I wasn't aware
    of it. All was OK last night.

    The only thing I don't like at the moment is the Voicemail system. I
    was away at the week-end - phoned the 0845 no. for voicemail - didn't
    catch all the message, and then you can't listen to it again. OK you
    can listen to it again on-line - but I was away and only had access to
    the 0845 no. via a mobile.

    David
    David Floyd, Mar 28, 2006
  13. David Floyd wrote:

    >> I've just noticed that I can't find anything regarding this on their
    >> pricing or T's and C's.

    > You really ought to speak to them.
    >
    > I've had no problems, with 2 lines connected. Although I was away when
    > the time changed to BST, so if there was a problem then, I wasn't aware
    > of it. All was OK last night.
    >
    > The only thing I don't like at the moment is the Voicemail system. I
    > was away at the week-end - phoned the 0845 no. for voicemail - didn't
    > catch all the message, and then you can't listen to it again. OK you
    > can listen to it again on-line - but I was away and only had access to
    > the 0845 no. via a mobile.
    >
    > David

    Funnily enough, a separate support request I made from a different
    account (that I manage) a couple of days later (which didn't have nearly
    the same problem, but was overbilled). I got a reply from on the same day.
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 28, 2006
  14. Sam Jones

    Guest

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:08:39 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    <> wrote:

    >I must be a fool, I figured that they knew how to use a computer.

    Tom I know it is just not practical in this day and age but I feel
    that if we where able to deal more with company employees that use pen
    and paper as they used to do rather than computers there would not be
    half the mistakes made that are made today.
    >I've not tried phoning them. I don't expecially like phoning companies
    >to moan at them when an email should suffice.

    I am just the opposite Tom sooner pick up the phone than start
    swapping emails and filling in forms via computer .
    >That sounds very strange (no problem here with that).

    From my dealings with voip.co.uk I gather that like Sipgate the
    service is being run on a shoestring budget which would explain
    all the little problems some people are having . Why did some peple
    have no service for a time the other day and yet my numbers where
    working ok .
    To get more or less 24/7 perfect service one just has to spend a
    little more money, I have two Freetalk lines and in the eight months I
    have had them not once have they given me cause to complain.
    , Mar 28, 2006
  15. Sam Jones

    Paul Cupis Guest

    [OT and a little silly] Re: Is Voip.co.uk more reliable than Sipgate?

    wrote:
    > From my dealings with voip.co.uk I gather that like Sipgate the
    > service is being run on a shoestring budget which would explain
    > all the little problems some people are having . Why did some peple
    > have no service for a time the other day and yet my numbers where
    > working ok.

    In the blue corner: Ivor + Sipgate
    In the red corner: Dextor and Vonage, er, Voipfone, er, Voip.co.uk

    Fight!
    Paul Cupis, Mar 28, 2006
  16. Sam Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Re: [OT and a little silly] Re: Is Voip.co.uk more reliable than Sipgate?

    "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > > From my dealings with voip.co.uk I gather that like
    > > Sipgate the service is being run on a shoestring budget
    > > which would explain all the little problems some people
    > > are having . Why did some peple have no service for a
    > > time the other day and yet my numbers where working ok.

    > In the blue corner: Ivor + Sipgate
    > In the red corner: Dextor and Vonage, er, Voipfone, er,
    > Voip.co.uk
    >
    > Fight!

    I'm not fighting with anybody, particulary him. It wouldn't be a fair
    fight.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 28, 2006