Is Voip.co.uk more reliable than Sipgate?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Sam Jones, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Sam Jones

    Sam Jones Guest

    I have now taken the plunge and cancelled my landline and am looking
    to replace it with voip via my cable modem.

    I currently have a Sipgate account which sometimes isn't reliable. Eg.
    The first time you dial it the number isn't recognised but then it
    works when you try again. Also I get occasional engaged tones when
    dialing out when I know the number isn't busy.

    Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?
     
    Sam Jones, Feb 28, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Sam Jones

    Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:55:34 GMT, Sam Jones <> wrote:


    >Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?

    My experience of them so far is mixed I signed up with them about
    three weeks ago the first night I could dial out no problem but could
    not receive incoming calls . I called them the next day and the guy
    said it was a routing problem being caused by BT and it would be fixed
    by that evening and it was so far so good and the line worked
    perfectly up until last Thursday evening when I decided to get a
    second number after which neither number would work correctly.
    I have spent most of this afternoon on the phone to them trying
    various things but the system will still not play ball,with the second
    number disabled the first works fine.
    I needed to go out for an hour this afternoon and left everything has
    it was called the guy when I got back and he told me he had been
    watching my two numbers while I was away and said both had shown as
    going off line for 15 minutes and then going on line again and my two
    sipura's where showing registered all the time but both lines where
    dead just has I had left them.The guy is going to have discussions
    with their network guys to find the cause of this problem .
    In direct answer to your question I would say get one line from them
    but think twice about getting two it was only when I got the second
    number/line that it all went to cock .
    You can't grumble at two pounds a month for free calls evenings and
    weekends which is more than you get from most of the other providers.
     
    , Feb 28, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Sam Jones

    Dave Gill Guest

    Sam Jones wrote:

    > Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?


    I can't really comment on incoming calls, but outgoing calls have been
    pretty reliable. A bit of a hiccup last week when the ATA occasionally
    lost registration, but otherwise nothing to report.

    I think a bit of a Google will bring up a few voicemail problems, but I
    don't know what the current situation is there.

    --
    The From address is a spam-trap, so all replies to the newsgroup please.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Be Alert, Your Country Needs More Lerts! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Dave Gill, Feb 28, 2006
    #3
  4. Sam Jones

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:19:23 +0000, Dave Gill
    <> wrote:

    >Sam Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?

    >
    >I can't really comment on incoming calls, but outgoing calls have been
    >pretty reliable. A bit of a hiccup last week when the ATA occasionally
    >lost registration, but otherwise nothing to report.
    >
    >I think a bit of a Google will bring up a few voicemail problems, but I
    >don't know what the current situation is there.

    I find voip.co.uk reliable. There has been the occasional problem but
    generally they are good. The price is right and was just what I was
    looking for. Compared to Sipgate they win in nearly every respect.
    The voicemail though, currently, is basic. However, they tell me that
    they are intending to update it soon. What I would like to see is the
    ability call divert either to SIP addreses or to peering numbers.
    Currently it is possible to divert only to standard numbers.
    The site lacks documentation - that is something else they tell me
    they are fixing.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
     
    Brian A, Feb 28, 2006
    #4
  5. Sam Jones

    Paul Cupis Guest

    wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:55:34 GMT, Sam Jones <> wrote:
    >>Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?

    >
    > My experience of them so far is mixed I signed up with them about
    > three weeks ago the first night I could dial out no problem but could
    > not receive incoming calls . I called them the next day and the guy
    > said it was a routing problem being caused by BT


    Really? This does not sound likely to me - did they give any further
    information?
     
    Paul Cupis, Feb 28, 2006
    #5
  6. Sam Jones

    Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 22:46:36 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:55:34 GMT, Sam Jones <> wrote:
    > >>Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?

    >>
    >> My experience of them so far is mixed I signed up with them about
    >> three weeks ago the first night I could dial out no problem but could
    >> not receive incoming calls . I called them the next day and the guy
    >> said it was a routing problem being caused by BT

    >
    >Really? This does not sound likely to me - did they give any further
    >information?

    No but it was fixed the same day with no further problems until I got
    the second number last week .
    I have in fact had both numbers receiving and calling out perfectly
    tonight via soft phones but when I put the settings back into my
    Sipura's no joy . I know it isn't anything to do with myself or the
    Sipura's has I have had various other providers working perfectly
    in them including Sipgate on and off more off than on may I add )) .
    To give a fair assessment of voip I would have to say they are ok
    and very helpful when you call them but they appear to be a little wet
    behind the ears yet .
     
    , Feb 28, 2006
    #6
  7. Sam Jones

    Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:58:53 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:


    >The site lacks documentation - that is something else they tell me
    >they are fixing.

    Their site/software needs fixing full stop and they do know about this
    so they say , if you have two sip accounts with them and you go into
    say the top one and make some alteration the next time you go in there
    that particular account has jumped to second place and so on .
     
    , Feb 28, 2006
    #7
  8. Sam Jones

    DJ Guest

    In message <du2juo$2qg4$>, Paul Cupis
    <> writes
    > wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:55:34 GMT, Sam Jones <> wrote:
    > >>Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?

    >>
    >> My experience of them so far is mixed I signed up with them about
    >> three weeks ago the first night I could dial out no problem but could
    >> not receive incoming calls . I called them the next day and the guy
    >> said it was a routing problem being caused by BT

    >
    >Really? This does not sound likely to me - did they give any further
    >information?


    This can be a BT problem, I had exactly that problem a while ago, but
    with my sipgate number before sipgate went very crappy.
    I reported it to BT and they fixed it, but got no feedback as to what
    they did to fix it.


    --
    DJ
     
    DJ, Feb 28, 2006
    #8
  9. Sam Jones

    Paul Cupis Guest

    DJ wrote:
    > In message <du2juo$2qg4$>, Paul Cupis
    > <> writes
    >> wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:55:34 GMT, Sam Jones <> wrote:
    >>>>Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?
    >>>
    >>> My experience of them so far is mixed I signed up with them about
    >>> three weeks ago the first night I could dial out no problem but could
    >>> not receive incoming calls . I called them the next day and the guy
    >>> said it was a routing problem being caused by BT

    >>
    >> Really? This does not sound likely to me - did they give any further
    >> information?

    >
    > This can be a BT problem,


    What can? I might concede that BT Broadband customers might have their
    VoIP affected by BT, but I don't think it is likely that other people
    will be affected by "BT Routing problem which is fixed same day" if none
    of the parties are using BT Broadband or other BT Internet products.
     
    Paul Cupis, Mar 1, 2006
    #9
  10. wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:58:53 GMT, Brian A
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>The site lacks documentation - that is something else they tell me
    >>they are fixing.

    >
    > Their site/software needs fixing full stop and they do know about this
    > so they say , if you have two sip accounts with them and you go into
    > say the top one and make some alteration the next time you go in there
    > that particular account has jumped to second place and so on .
    >

    Yeah, the whole site looks like it's been put together by someone who
    hasn't used SQL before. (no ORDER BY clause in the query in a lot of SQL
    servers will order the results by the last time they were modified).
     
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 1, 2006
    #10
  11. Sam Jones

    Peter Watson Guest

    Nothing to do with IP routeing - Think phone routeing. BT need to have
    the correct routeing information in their exchange network to know to
    deliver a call directed to 01234 5678910 to voip.co.uk not to exchange
    01234.
     
    Peter Watson, Mar 1, 2006
    #11
  12. Sam Jones

    Sam Jones Guest

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:07:09 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:58:53 GMT, Brian A
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The site lacks documentation - that is something else they tell me
    >>>they are fixing.

    >>
    >> Their site/software needs fixing full stop and they do know about this
    >> so they say , if you have two sip accounts with them and you go into
    >> say the top one and make some alteration the next time you go in there
    >> that particular account has jumped to second place and so on .
    >>

    >Yeah, the whole site looks like it's been put together by someone who
    >hasn't used SQL before. (no ORDER BY clause in the query in a lot of SQL
    >servers will order the results by the last time they were modified).

    Thanks for the info. I have taken the plunge and registered with
    voip.co.uk. Everything seems to connect OK, I can dial and receive
    calls but have made a couple of calls this evening which have not been
    good. There was a lot of background noise and one of the calls was
    dropped and I was left with an engaged tone in the middle of the call.
    This was after about 5 mins.

    I'm using a Handytone 486 and the basic settings I have used are:

    Sip Server: registrar.voip.co.uk
    Outbound proxy: proxy.voip.co.uk

    Are these correct and are any of the other settings important?

    Thanks for any advice.
     
    Sam Jones, Mar 1, 2006
    #12
  13. Sam Jones

    Dave Gill Guest

    Sam Jones wrote:

    > I'm using a Handytone 486 and the basic settings I have used are:
    >
    > Sip Server: registrar.voip.co.uk
    > Outbound proxy: proxy.voip.co.uk
    >
    > Are these correct and are any of the other settings important?


    I don't know what the Outbound Proxy settings are supposed to be (I
    don't use an OB Proxy since there's no router between my ATA and my
    cable modem) but I'm using proxy.voip.co.uk as my Sip Server (the Sip
    Server is referred to as the Proxy in Sipura set-ups in case you're
    wondering).

    --
    The From address is a spam-trap, so all replies to the newsgroup please.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Be Alert, Your Country Needs More Lerts! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Dave Gill, Mar 1, 2006
    #13
  14. Sam Jones

    Guest

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 19:18:53 GMT, Sam Jones <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:07:09 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:58:53 GMT, Brian A
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>The site lacks documentation - that is something else they tell me
    >>>>they are fixing.
    >>>
    >>> Their site/software needs fixing full stop and they do know about this
    >>> so they say , if you have two sip accounts with them and you go into
    >>> say the top one and make some alteration the next time you go in there
    >>> that particular account has jumped to second place and so on .
    >>>

    >>Yeah, the whole site looks like it's been put together by someone who
    >>hasn't used SQL before. (no ORDER BY clause in the query in a lot of SQL
    >>servers will order the results by the last time they were modified).

    >Thanks for the info. I have taken the plunge and registered with
    >voip.co.uk. Everything seems to connect OK, I can dial and receive
    >calls but have made a couple of calls this evening which have not been
    >good. There was a lot of background noise and one of the calls was
    >dropped and I was left with an engaged tone in the middle of the call.
    >This was after about 5 mins.
    >
    >I'm using a Handytone 486 and the basic settings I have used are:
    >
    >Sip Server: registrar.voip.co.uk
    >Outbound proxy: proxy.voip.co.uk
    >
    >Are these correct and are any of the other settings important?

    More or less one of their guys told me this afternoon to alter the sip
    port to 61 from 60 on my Sipura 2000 . My first number is working
    fine and staying connected after asking them to drop my second number.
    Now considering re joining Vonage now they have dropped their charges
    a little not made and decisions yet though .
     
    , Mar 1, 2006
    #14
  15. Sam Jones

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 19:59:29 GMT, wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 19:18:53 GMT, Sam Jones <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:07:09 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:58:53 GMT, Brian A
    >>>> <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>The site lacks documentation - that is something else they tell me
    >>>>>they are fixing.
    >>>>
    >>>> Their site/software needs fixing full stop and they do know about this
    >>>> so they say , if you have two sip accounts with them and you go into
    >>>> say the top one and make some alteration the next time you go in there
    >>>> that particular account has jumped to second place and so on .
    >>>>
    >>>Yeah, the whole site looks like it's been put together by someone who
    >>>hasn't used SQL before. (no ORDER BY clause in the query in a lot of SQL
    >>>servers will order the results by the last time they were modified).

    >>Thanks for the info. I have taken the plunge and registered with
    >>voip.co.uk. Everything seems to connect OK, I can dial and receive
    >>calls but have made a couple of calls this evening which have not been
    >>good. There was a lot of background noise and one of the calls was
    >>dropped and I was left with an engaged tone in the middle of the call.
    >>This was after about 5 mins.

    I got this a couple of times. Once the noise was received by the other
    party and then I got it on another call wheras the called party could
    hear me OK.
    I just reset my ATA and all has been well since then.
    >>
    >>I'm using a Handytone 486 and the basic settings I have used are:
    >>
    >>Sip Server: registrar.voip.co.uk
    >>Outbound proxy: proxy.voip.co.uk

    Rightly or wrongly, have both 'proxy' and 'Outbound Proxy' set to
    proxy.voip.co.uk - it works anyway.
    >>
    >>Are these correct and are any of the other settings important?

    >More or less one of their guys told me this afternoon to alter the sip
    >port to 61 from 60 on my Sipura 2000 . My first number is working
    >fine and staying connected after asking them to drop my second number.
    >Now considering re joining Vonage now they have dropped their charges
    >a little not made and decisions yet though .

    If you are itching ot spend more money then BT 'Broadband Talk' charge
    the same £7.99 (or £2.99 for off peak). They include an adapter too,
    no conection charge - 12 months contract though.
    "Available for Cable and non - BT Broadband customers as well."
    http://tinyurl.com/3cwo9
    Personally I am happy with voip.co.uk
    Ok there are things I would like improved but they are not major
    items. I would, for example, like to be able to divert to SIP
    addresses (or peering numbers) that way I could divert to a good
    voicemail service.


    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
     
    Brian A, Mar 1, 2006
    #15
  16. Sam Jones

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Peter Watson wrote:
    > Nothing to do with IP routeing - Think phone routeing. BT need to have
    > the correct routeing information in their exchange network to know to
    > deliver a call directed to 01234 5678910 to voip.co.uk not to exchange
    > 01234.


    Do you know how "phone routing" works? BT don't have every telephone
    number in their "routing table" anymore than ISPs have every IP address
    in their routing table. It works on prefixes, and whereas ISPs have
    peering sessions where they can dynamically exchange routes, BT has a
    long manual process (3 months) for having number ranges built on their
    network.

    The chances are that the (non-IP) routing problem was not with BT. There
    is an ever so slight change that the number range in question was not
    working from a specific BT exchange, but it does not seem very likely to me.

    And BT will be delivering the calls to whichever network operator is
    selling voip.co.uk blocks, I am not of the impression that voip.co.uk
    have a BT Interconnect (though I may be wrong).
     
    Paul Cupis, Mar 1, 2006
    #16
  17. Brian A wrote:

    > If you are itching ot spend more money then BT 'Broadband Talk' charge
    > the same £7.99 (or £2.99 for off peak). They include an adapter too,
    > no conection charge - 12 months contract though.
    > "Available for Cable and non - BT Broadband customers as well."
    > http://tinyurl.com/3cwo9
    > Personally I am happy with voip.co.uk
    > Ok there are things I would like improved but they are not major
    > items. I would, for example, like to be able to divert to SIP
    > addresses (or peering numbers) that way I could divert to a good
    > voicemail service.
    >


    Will they only give you an 056 incoming number like their broadband
    voice product?
     
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 2, 2006
    #17
  18. Sam Jones

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:23:05 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    <> wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >
    >> If you are itching ot spend more money then BT 'Broadband Talk' charge
    >> the same £7.99 (or £2.99 for off peak). They include an adapter too,
    >> no conection charge - 12 months contract though.
    >> "Available for Cable and non - BT Broadband customers as well."
    >> http://tinyurl.com/3cwo9
    >> Personally I am happy with voip.co.uk
    >> Ok there are things I would like improved but they are not major
    >> items. I would, for example, like to be able to divert to SIP
    >> addresses (or peering numbers) that way I could divert to a good
    >> voicemail service.
    >>

    >
    >Will they only give you an 056 incoming number like their broadband
    >voice product?

    afaik yes.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
     
    Brian A, Mar 2, 2006
    #18
  19. Sam Jones

    Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:00:08 GMT, wrote:

    >I have in fact had both numbers receiving and calling out perfectly
    >tonight via soft phones but when I put the settings back into my
    >Sipura's no joy


    Riiight. So when you changed things at your end, it works. Sounds like
    it is a problem at their end, not how the user set things up. Well,
    not very much. OK, not at all.

    As I said, the problem is almost certainly user settings.
     
    , Mar 2, 2006
    #19
  20. Sam Jones

    Sam Jones Guest

    On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:43:39 +0000, wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:00:08 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>I have in fact had both numbers receiving and calling out perfectly
    >>tonight via soft phones but when I put the settings back into my
    >>Sipura's no joy

    >
    >Riiight. So when you changed things at your end, it works. Sounds like
    >it is a problem at their end, not how the user set things up. Well,
    >not very much. OK, not at all.
    >
    >As I said, the problem is almost certainly user settings.

    Looks like I made the wrong choice. I can't receive any incoming calls
    this afternoon. Does anyone provide a service you can rely on?
     
    Sam Jones, Mar 26, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Stuart Millington

    Sipgate: dialing another sipgate number

    Stuart Millington, Jun 10, 2005, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    2,023
  2. Charlie Self

    Re: Reliable online shop other than B&H

    Charlie Self, Aug 25, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    425
    Charlie Self
    Aug 25, 2003
  3. Michael Meissner

    Re: Reliable online shop other than B&H

    Michael Meissner, Aug 26, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    523
    Bill Hilton
    Aug 26, 2003
  4. fake name
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    1,721
    John Navas
    Mar 1, 2004
  5. Kathi
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    708
    Kathi
    Jul 17, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page